Someone recommend me some Yoga videos please

Options
I went to a yoga class at my local gym yesterday and did a Yoga class. The instructor talks with a very low voice and doesn't explain things well. Anyone know what the best video for a newbie is? I want to learn the basics but I want to make it to level 3-4 fast I'm a very inpatient person. Thanks in advance.

Replies

• wdshell
    wdshell Posts: 16
    Options
    Total Yoga (the flow series) is ok, its a 4 disc set with varying degrees of difficulty. :)
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,786 Member
    Options
    Is there another class you could go to at your gym? Maybe try a different instructor? Or maybe go to a few classes outside your gym? Most studios offer the first class for free, so you could see what is out there.

Rodney Yee has videos that range from beginner to advanced. But I don't think one video or another will get you there faster.

Which brings me to the question: why do you want to be level 3-4? What is your motivation? I meet people all the time who want to be "good at yoga" - what does that mean to you?
    To advance at yoga, are you willing to practice for a couple of hours everyday? That's what it takes. Yoga is like anything else, you must practice a lot, if you want to understand it.
  • emilymonnig
    Options
    There are a number of different types of yoga, and some people really like one type yet loathe another. I'd agree with the poster who suggested that you try another instructor or class. If you are in decent shape already, you could try a flow or vinyasa class that's mixed level, because mixed level classes allow the more advanced practitioners to build upon what they can already do without having a class that's too hard for newer yogis. I agree also with yoginimary that most studios (but not most gyms) offer your first class free or have a promotional rate - I've found that the classes at yoga studios are generally superior to the ones at gyms.
  • JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    I will also suggest Rodney Yee. He is excellent.
  • abrahamsitososa
    abrahamsitososa Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    Thank you guys. And yes yogini of course I'm willing to practice and train a lot. That's exactly what I do every day I do calisthenics strength training and I want to get to level 3-4 where i can be doing handstands and some more advanced movemets. At my gym the instructor has to train a very big group of people and there's men that are very old and some women very out of shape so I highly doubt I can progress at the pace I would like because the instructor has us doing things that anyone can do on starting day.
  • toffee322
    toffee322 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    search tara stiles on youtube. lots of videos (beginners/intermediate/advanced)... i did couple of them. it's very good. and it's free!
  • Taraanne76
    Taraanne76 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    doyogawithme.com is free and has all levels of yoga.
  • liftreadphilosophize
    liftreadphilosophize Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    doyogawithme.com is free and has all levels of yoga.

I love this site! I try different videos a couple times a week and have noticed an improvement in my overall yoga-specific fitness.
  • catrunsintowindow
    catrunsintowindow Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    myyogaonline.com

$10 a month and has a ton of videos, google for a first-two-weeks free code to start out.
  • adopt321
    adopt321 Posts: 111
    Options
    Subbing. Thanks for posting web links!
  • maulop
    maulop Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Watch this... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aUgtMaAZzW0 but my advice is that you take it easy and be patient, because there's a lot to master in the basic series. In this video the practitioners are very advanced and have a lot of strenght and good form, but even they have some difficulties doing the basic series.
  • bonjovi27
    bonjovi27 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • shst07
    shst07 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    As for DVD's, all of Rodney Yee's are very good. He actually has a basic yoga dvd that explains proper form, but I can't remember the name (I lent it out). Bryan Kest's Power Yoga and Power Yoga for Happiness with Eoin Finn are good too but are more for when you get the basics down. Very good workouts!
  • abrahamsitososa
    abrahamsitososa Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    I appreciate your recommendations.