Diet/Exercise in Spain?!

Options
Hey Everyone!

I am going to study abroad in Spain for 6 weeks. I need some advice about how to continue losing weight while I'm over there. Obviously, in Europe I'll be doing considerably more walking, as well as, having my eating habits completely changed. Should I still count calories and maybe take my workout DVD? Any suggestions? I do not want to fall behind!

Thanks!
:D

Replies

• mictur
    mictur Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Enjoy your trip. I envy you. Keep on eating balanced meals, but I don't think you can use the dvd in Spain. If your from the US, Europe has a different system. Double check on that before you go. Safe journey.:flowerforyou:
  • elyzah
    elyzah Posts: 1
    Options
    I just got back from Pairs (13 days) and I actually lost weight due to the amount of walking we did. BUT, I did walk about 6-8 hours a day literally though at a slow at times to moderate pace all throughout the city. If you are studying there and have a lot of school time, I would recommend taking your running gear, everyone exercises in the gardens and parks in Paris, maybe the same for Spain?? :) Have a blast, and keep a written food journal, you probably know your limits and averages on intake by now. Adios!
  • ChristineMcGrae
    Options
    I am American but live in England (since Oct '08) and yes Europe does have different region coding on DVD's but if you are taking a laptop you should be able to watch it through that with no problem. There are some DVD players that are region free and can play any as well as PS3's but not sure if you are going to be anywhere with those. :smile:

I would still track your calories to the best of your ability. If you don't have one I would maybe get one of those step counters? That might help when adding up how much walking you do while you are out? We have a trip to Italy in August and I plan on getting one. We were in Paris in May and I wish I would have had one then but to be honest it was before Andy and I started our weight loss journey but I know I had to have walked a hundred miles in 4 days! lol

Have a great time!! :flowerforyou:
    Christine
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    For a short trip, I would say no, but since you'll be there a month & a half, definitely keep track of your eating... you might not need to exercise if you're walking so much, but I would bring a couple dumbbells to do some strength training.
  • Barneystinson
    Barneystinson Posts: 1,357 Member
    Options
    I'd just rely on walking and bodyweight exercises - pull-ups, push-ups, squats, dips, burpees, etc...

An experiment to try is to bring a pedometer with you and see how many steps/miles you walk in a single day. That'll give you an idea of how many calories you're burning off in any given day and from that you can fine tune your food portions. Eat good foods, go easy on desserts and sweets, and you'll probably end up losing weight.
  • ChristineMcGrae
    Options
    I think dumbbells would be too heavy for your luggage and end up costing you a fortune.

Just remembered also that if you will be making some of your own meals... not sure if you have a phone or iTouch that can use apps? But a good thing to have a way to convert things such a ounces/grams, etc.. The US and Europe do not use the same measurements. I still have to check mine when cooking over here. :happy:
  • caitlin15
    caitlin15 Posts: 28
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the advice! I will try to log on to MFP and keep track somehow with the food diary. I love the counting my steps idea!! Keep your fingers crossed!

:D
  • jaylu
    jaylu Posts: 158
    Options
    ive just come back from spain yesterday! where i was staying they were very into jogging and had a place where people of all ages (and i mean all ages, i saw 60 year olds jogging!!) went every morning for a jog by they beach and there was outdoor fitness equipment it was fantastic! i actually wish i had this type of thing at home!! good luck and enjoy, spain is beautiful!