Feel self conscious when ordering healthy food

Options
2»

Replies

• Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    I usually respond in either of these two ways: 1) laugh it off, perhaps make a witty remark, and ignore, or 2) get very direct with people. I only resort to the second way if someone has consistently annoyed me and seems oblivious to the fact that they're getting on my last nerve.

Don't feel bad about ordering things prepared in the way you need/want them when you're out at restaurants. You are paying them to cook for you, after all. It's ridiculous to order something unhealthy that you don't want to eat just because it's easier for the restaurant or so your friends won't say anything. Get a backbone and realise that you're entitled to have whatever you want, providing the restaurant is capable of preparing the things you've asked for. Tell your friends to F off and enjoy your meal!
  • Swissmiss
    Swissmiss Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Wow...you are an inspiration for me. Keep on doing what you know to be right. Eating healthy is not just about losing the weight. It is about living healthy as you are doing.
  • tomcornhole
    tomcornhole Posts: 1,084 Member
    Options
    For those that eat healthy and are trying to get fit: Do you ever comment on what the unhealthy people are choosing for their meals? I do in my head, I just NEVER say anything. But I do get the occasional snide comment from the unhealthy/unfit person about eating something healthy vs. not healthy. I think they feel I am secretly commenting / judging them on their weight/health choices when I order me up some broccoli instead of fries. They're right. I am doing it to make them feel uncomfortable. That's why I lost 60 lbs. To make them feel uncomfortable. That's why I exist, to make them feel uncomfortable. NOT. But, they feel uncomfortable so they make a comment to improve their comfort with their choices. I'm ok with that. I like myself.
  • Tatiyanya
    Tatiyanya Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I start talking about pooping straight away if someone makes a snarky remark about my healthy eating habbits .

Its my personal way what i choose to eat, i dont comment on their junk food , ok?

So if they decide to give me an unwanted advice/snarky remark I start telling them how beneficial high fiber diet is for regular pooping.

Even the daft ones get the hint after I activate poop talk 2-3 times.

*****es never made a single comment when I was ordering 4 cheeseburgers in macdonalds with them while weighting 250+ lbs -.-
  • milkyskinn
    milkyskinn Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Like everyone else already said, you do this for *you*! At the end of the day it's only you who can make yourself proud, and you can not let other people decide for you what makes you happy or comfortable with yourself. :)

I always feel a bit uncomfortable all the time, too. But even with ordering unhealthy things! I don't want to order something extremely fatty and feel like everyone's thinking around me "ew, look at what she's scarfing down!" It's probably all in my head, but it goes both ways for me. Same with not ordering alcohol while everyone's drinking. It's my body!
  • squindles
    squindles Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Just because you're skinny on the outside hun doesn't mean you are on the inside............tell them that it's what's on the inside that counts, that'll make them think :wink: But good for you for making the right food choices :flowerforyou: I haven't told ANYBODY (well, apart from my mfp friends!!!!!) that I've decided to change my lifestyle and get healthy so I get " ooooo Jackie, I didn't know you were on a diet" to which I reply "I'm not" which is the TRUTH, I'm NOT on a diet (I'm living proof that diets DON'T work :wink: ) I'm not telling anybody because you always get....." you can't eat that your on a diet, that's not diet food", etc etc etc :yawn:
  • melbournemummy79
    Options
    Its no one elses business what you put into your body so they should shut their freakin mouths and I would tell them so.. probably more diplomatically :)
    I am not at all ok with so called friends making snarky remarks like that... true friends dont continually act like asshats and belittle your choices.
  • cashone001
    Options
    It sounds good that you are health conscious and generally order healthy foods. It’s good sign and don’t bother what other says. You might have heard the Old saying “ Health is wealth”. Why to get worried once you become overweight rather to be conscious to maintain your health. Keep going!!
  • JGainingHealth
    JGainingHealth Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    This annoys me so much. It is COMPLETELY rude for people to judge what you're eating, whether it's healthy or not.

I get hit from both ways - I usually get comments about how "healthy" I'm eating and how I don't need to because I'm already thin. But then I'll get comments about how I'm always eating because I spread my meals out through the day. So one minute I get self conscious because someone thinks I'm starving myself, and then the next minute I feel like a pig that eats all day.

...But then I snap myself back into reality and realize that I'm healthy, I enjoy what I eat, and I'm doing what's right for me, so WHO CARES what they think. Just remember: misery loves company.
  • dimsumkitty
    dimsumkitty Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Friends and family will always judge each other, and not just about food! Clothes, boyfriends, niche hobbies... Taking rudeness and teasing in good humour is just something we learn. If it doesn't get to you in other aspects of your life then don't let them make you feel bad about food. :)
  • Mustang_Susie
    Mustang_Susie Posts: 7,045 Member
    Options
    I get those comments.
    Do people honestly think that if you're skinny that you just automatically stay that way no matter what?
    I just think to myself, " I wouldn't STAY this 'skinny' if I didn't eat like this".
    It's your body, you chose what you put in it.
    Do you tell them what to eat?
  • amye004
    amye004 Posts: 32
    Options
    Some responds I would use:

No, I'm seriously not getting it, my plan is to order it, have them cook it, bring it to me, and then change my mind.

I am eating it because it tastes good...mmmmm veggies

If I am going to pay for the food, I'm going to get it the way I like it.

If you want to be blunt/ are completely fed up: I don't comment on what you order, why are you commenting on mine?

You could try talking to them. Let them know it makes you uncomfortable when they make comments on your food choices. It has nothing to do with losing weight, you know that you are skinny. This is what you want to eat and if they can't deal with it that's not your problem.
  • Sharla_G
    Sharla_G Posts: 72
    Options
    It's interesting how much emotion is tied to food. Not just what we ourselves eat and do not eat. Food that OTHER PEOPLE eat. How entwined it is in relationships, socializing, etc.

It's weird that people feel threatened by those who eat differently than themselves. That there is pressure to comply with the norm of the social group you belong to, even in eating.
  • daphne_m
    daphne_m Posts: 84
    Options
    You need to tell people to stop commenting on what you eat. If it gets the point across more clearly, feel free to refer to them as ill mannered and uncivilised. My friends are free to ask polite questions about my dinner if they're so inclined, but they almost always have something more interesting to discuss.

Maybe you need more interesting friends.
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    Options
    I'd suggest taking the direct approach with those who feel the need to comment. Whether a very low calorie pick, or an ice cream sundae, I tell my friends and family. "I make choices at every meal and understand how this choice fits into my food plan. This is my choice today"

Then I order my plain oatmeal with two poached eggs mixed into it, or my medium rare burger (with no bun) placed on top of a chopped salad, or salmon with no sauce, OR my steak, ribs, dessert, etc, and enjoy my meal with no regrets. I hope you don't feel self conscious going forward. You're doing the right thing for yourself. Good luck.
  • imchicbad
    imchicbad Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    I am a pretty healthy eater, and usually try to make good choices when out eating with friends. I'm not really trying to lose weight, I simply enjoy living a healthy lifestyle. But sometimes I can't help but feel self conscious when I order things! I feel like because im already at a low weight, people are always judging me! I often get friends rolling their eyes, laughing at me, or saying things like "you're seriously getting that?" "Why are you eating that, you're already so skinny!" "oh my gosh I can't believe you actually ordered VEGETABLES instead of fries!" "Oh Ms. HEALTHY over here...." etc.
    Is it that bad that I want to eat healthy even if I'm not overweight? Dont get me wrong, I will splurge now and then but on a regular basis I try to keep my diet in check.
    Sometimes I feel self conscious asking the waitress "can I get that salmon grilled, without the butter sauce, vegetables subbed for rice " etc while everyone is watching me. Or if a friend is making a Starbucks run I debate whether or not I should tell them to get my drink sugar free, nonfat. There are times where I have decided not to go COMPLETELY healthy with my order just so I don't get as many comments. It can get so annoying sometimes! Anyone else like this?

Yes!! And I have a great come back when they say " your so skinny, take a break already, you really need a sandwich" I say " excuse me, do you serve hater aide here, she/he will take a large, on me, and keep em coming"
  • CillitBang
    CillitBang Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    My partner makes comments at me but I know he does like my diet and would like to eat more healthily himself.

Your friends are probably just envious of your choices and your healthiness. This probably make them feel bad about themselves so it makes them feel better to poke fun at you.

And thanks. You've just inspired me to change how I order when I'm out.

I don't make a habit of this, but I'm out for dinner tonight and tomorrow night and I'm stressing about going over my calories but I'm going to do like you say and ask for things cooked in a healthier way, and maybe ask them to leave things off the plate like the roasted potatoes and cauliflower cheese and maybe ask for more veggies. I'm more worried about being a pain to the waiting and kitchen staff!
  • srpm
    srpm Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    ''because i don't like fries''

they only do this because your healthy choices make them feel self conscious about their unhealthy choices.
    That has always been my line, my husband has finally caught on though and started calling me out because I usually snag a couple of his :)