Protein Intake

Options
Just joined today,

Filled out all my info and its given me only 74g of protein in a day, is this normal? I had chicken and thats taken up 43 of it already and yet to have dinner,

I was under the impression too much protein isn't bad? Any advice :) ?

Replies

• JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    Personally, I think MFP's protein suggestion is too low. The general guideline is 1 gram per pound of lean body mass. I know that many who are attempting to build muscle will got for 1 gram per pound of total body weight. I know others (my husband) who try to consume 1 gram of protein per pound they'd like to way 9that is in people lifting heavy and eating massive amounts in an attempt to gain size and/or strength.) I aim for 80-90 grams a day, minimum. I try to do a 40/30/30 (carbs/fat/protein) ratio.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I also think the MFP protein recommendation is too low. You can adjust it under "custom" settings.
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    MFP sets protein too low. To set your macros, check out this link: 

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/911011-calculating-calorie-macronutrient-needs?page=1#posts-13821336

Also, it's hard to have too much protein. 

"It has been observed that the human liver cannot safely metabolise much more than 285-365 g of protein per day (for an 80 kg person), and human kidneys are similarly limited in their capability to remove urea (a byproduct of protein catabolism) from the bloodstream. Exceeding that amount results in excess levels of amino acids, ammonia (hyperammonemia), and/or urea in the bloodstream, with potentially fatal consequences,[1] especially if the person switches to a high-protein diet without giving time for the levels of his or her hepatic enzymes to upregulate. Since protein only contains 4 kcal/gram, and a typical adult human requires in excess of 1900 kcal to maintain the energy balance, it is possible to exceed the safe intake of protein if one is subjected to a high-protein diet with little or no fat or carbohydrates. However, given the lack of scientific data on the effects of high-protein diets, and the observed ability of the liver to compensate over a few days for a shift in protein intake, the US Food and Nutrition Board does not set a Tolerable Upper Limit nor upper Acceptable Macronutrient Distribution Range for protein.[2] Furthermore, medical sources such as UpToDate[3] do not include listings on this topic." 

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rabbit_starvation
  • smccart88
    smccart88 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies everyone, think i'll amend mines up :)
  • srey0701
    srey0701 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Your body can only absorb 21g of protein at a time, so I try to get at least that for each of my 3 meals then half that for my snacks. I'm hardly ever hungry. Every body is different so you may require more or less.

8215698.png
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    Look at your other nutrients besides protein. Eating more than it says is ro.e but at the end of the say you have 150g protein and 10g fiber and over on cholesterol ect there's a problem.
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    Just joined today,

Filled out all my info and its given me only 74g of protein in a day, is this normal? I had chicken and thats taken up 43 of it already and yet to have dinner,

I was under the impression too much protein isn't bad? Any advice :) ?

The protein is a minimum, not a maximum. Although you should be aiming for one gram of protein per pound of LBM to minimize loss of muscle/bone while losing weight. Likewise, MFP will also put you in the "red" if you go over on fiber, but that's absolutely not a bad thing either.