C25K after knee injury?

Options
I started the C35K program a couple of weeks ago and finished up week 2 this past Sunday. Afterward, however, my knees were giving me tons of ****. It was pretty painful to walk, my kneecaps got warm, and felt odd - not quite tingly, but similar I guess? Anyhow, I wanted to push through it and start back up on Tuesday, but I didn't. In fact, I haven't done anything since then because my knees were still hurting.

I was hoping to start back up today. I woke up a bit sore, but from mid-morning on, I've been fine. I haven't had much success finding out what I'm supposed to look for before starting to run again. I cannot say if whatever injury was healed, but I'm no longer in pain, and I'd like to start up again before I wind up having to repeat a week. I do plan on taking it easier (slower) and stopping if I feel pain.

I'm pretty sure I figured out what I was doing wrong that caused the injury - overpronating and not stretching thoroughly before starting, just jumping in and doing the 5 minute warm-up walk without stretching at all. I know, pretty stupid of me, but I am at least less likely to screw up in that particular way again.

But would it be smart to start up again today? Should I continue to wait? Are there signs I should be looking for? Any advice is much appreciated.

Replies

• shaylan_
    shaylan_ Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    bump?
  • bzmommy34
    bzmommy34 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I was in week 3 of c25k when I suffered from runners knee and it was PAINFUL! It sounds a bit like what you are describing. I went to the chiro and had muscle stripping done, took two weeks off per the doc and got back at it - but only after being fitted professionally for running shoes. It is a year later and I run 4x a week, 2-5 miles per run and have had no issues since.

Edited to add that I always walk for my warm up and I stretch after running..... thoroughly.
  • jetsboy68
    jetsboy68 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    A few suggestions/Questions for you:

Are you wearing proper running shoes? The shoe you choose is probably the single most important thing you can do when you begin running. If you arent sure, you should go to a local running store and they will look at your gait and determine what shoe might be best for your particular foot, weight, mileage etc.

That being said ... with regard to the pain ... Where is the pain on a scale of 1 -10 ? If it is greater than a 3, i would definitely take a couple of days off to let the soreness subside. Icing would be good as well. typically 15 min 4 to 5 times a day.

Another suggestion is to start your exercise later in the day so that your muscles have had a chance to warm up and loosen up.

Feel free to fire away with any other questions ... i have been running for over 25 years and have seen a lot.
  • umer76
    umer76 Posts: 1,272 Member
    Options
    I started C25K back in January and went upto week 6 but due to knee pain I left it and decided to rest. I rested my knees for 4 weeks and pain has gone but now I start running on the treadmill in March for 5-10 minutes but still little doubtful. Because when I go downstairs I feel little pain.
  • shaylan_
    Options
    I'm not entirely sure how proper my running shoes are. I bought them at a sport shoe store, told the guy I was planning on running, he gave me some insoles that were supposed to help with the knee stuff and the shoes are running shoes, Nike AirMax Turbulence+ 16s - but it wasn't much of a fitting, I guess. He just pointed them out, I tried them on, and they fit well, so I bought them. Does that sound "get thee to a real running store," or does it sound legit?

The pain ranges, and as far as the pain scale goes, I'm a bit too this: (http://xkcd.com/883/) to properly answer. It makes me not want to walk around much, and going up and down the stairs isn't very fun and I go a bit slowly. It's enough that even though I really want to get to week 3, I'm not.

I'm running on a treadmill, if that makes any difference. And when I say running, I mean lightly jogging at about 5mph. It's pretty sad, but it's what I can do at this point. 0% incline, walking at 3.5mph. I am short, so that's about as fast as I can walk without starting to move into a jog.

bzmommy- That is encouraging, definitely. I'll look into going to a chiropractor if it doesn't let up. I want to run, I used to love it in my teens, but I am pretty worried about killing my knees.
  • tallieterp
    tallieterp Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I spend 20 minutes stretching usually... i find that really helps my knee... i also wear a brace for stability on the knee that i had surgery on - especially if I run outside... as for the shoes - I found that when I finally got shoes that fit properly and helps to keep me from rolling my ankles it was like being on a cloud... they might be slightly more expensive but its worth it...
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    I'm not entirely sure how proper my running shoes are. I bought them at a sport shoe store, told the guy I was planning on running, he gave me some insoles that were supposed to help with the knee stuff and the shoes are running shoes, Nike AirMax Turbulence+ 16s - but it wasn't much of a fitting, I guess. He just pointed them out, I tried them on, and they fit well, so I bought them. Does that sound "get thee to a real running store," or does it sound legit?

The pain ranges, and as far as the pain scale goes, I'm a bit too this: (http://xkcd.com/883/) to properly answer. It makes me not want to walk around much, and going up and down the stairs isn't very fun and I go a bit slowly. It's enough that even though I really want to get to week 3, I'm not.

I'm running on a treadmill, if that makes any difference. And when I say running, I mean lightly jogging at about 5mph. It's pretty sad, but it's what I can do at this point. 0% incline, walking at 3.5mph. I am short, so that's about as fast as I can walk without starting to move into a jog.

bzmommy- That is encouraging, definitely. I'll look into going to a chiropractor if it doesn't let up. I want to run, I used to love it in my teens, but I am pretty worried about killing my knees.

How many miles ago did you buy your shoes? You do need to replace them every 400 to 500 miles, they say.

Add some resistance exercise to your routine if you haven't already. Anything that strengthens the quads and calves. I love one-legged calf raises: stand on one foot and get up on your toes 15 times or so. It's really hard but improves your balance and calf strength tremendously. For quads, either a leg extension machine, leg presses, or squats (unladen or otherwise, but with good form).

Make sure to take a rest between your running days. If all you do is run, you will get injured sooner or later.
  • MaintainCats
    MaintainCats Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    #1 Get thee to Fleet Feet.

#2 When I did C25K last fall (and didn't finish because I hate the treadmill) I was walking at 3mph and running at 5mph...so it isn't sad. Or if it is, we are sad together.
  • MaintainCats
    MaintainCats Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Oh, also...I would suggest weights or at least body weight squats lunges, done properly for a couple of weeks before running. My knees and shoulders used to be AWFUL but since I built up the muscles around them they are fine. My left shoulder in particular used to be a total PITA but it never hurts anymore, ever.
  • she_fit
    she_fit Posts: 36
    Options
    When I was 17, I severed my ACL and injured my MCL/Meniscus resulting in reconstructive surgery. Working from the ground back up (they replaced the ACL with a piece of hamstring) I had lost a lot of strength in my knee and gained crepitus, stiffness, and a few other issues. I didn't try running again for a couple of years.

It took my a couple months to work through it- it was excruciatingly painful for the first several weeks- throbbing and needles and awful pain. However, once I loosened up my knee again and strengthened my muscles, it's been cake ever since and I haven't had any issues for over a year.

I don't know if this was what you are looking for, but my experience has typically been that through strengthening, pain goes away.
  • mightyminerva
    mightyminerva Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I had a knee injury in college (bad kneecaps thanks to my mum!), and they still act up. I went to a running store to get my gait analysed and bought my running shoes based on their assessment, and my knees (*knock on wood*) haven't acted up. Before I started, I also asked my knee doctor if I could safely start running. He said "yes," as long as my joints aren't in pain and that I pace myself. Go as slowly as you need to, and if it hurts give yourself time to rest! I'm on week 5 of C25K at about 180 pounds, and have been okay with my knees going at about 5MPH when jogging. Do what you can; what counts is that you don't hurt yourself in the long run and that you get your heart rate up. Speed will come with time!

I think icing your knee(s), stretching, and getting professionally fitted for shoes will help you immensely. I know a woman on here at about 240 pounds who's doing C25K and is doing brilliantly because she's gotten amazing shoes! Also you could look into taping your knee(s) or getting a brace. Perhaps ask your doctor what the proper course of treatment would be and what some preventative measures would be. Good luck!
  • mightyminerva
    mightyminerva Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Oh, I forgot! Things like yoga will also help strengthen your knees. When I asked my doctor about the possibility of running and he said it was okay, he also mentioned perhaps doing yoga to help out my joints for more physical activities (and, thankfully, I've been doing yoga a lot for about a year).
  • DavidKBrewer
    Options
    If the pain is bad enough that you're sacrificing your running form (ie: limping) then you should rest it until it's not an issue. There will usually be little pains that come and go while running, but you can typically push through them. If they make you limp or favor one leg over the other, then you're risking more serious injury by running on it.
  • shaylan_
    Options
    #1 Get thee to Fleet Feet.

Sweet. Your Google-Fu kicks my Google-Fu's *kitten*. I tried and came up practically empty. I think it was trying to send me to the mall?
  • shaylan_
    Options
    How many miles ago did you buy your shoes? You do need to replace them every 400 to 500 miles, they say.

Add some resistance exercise to your routine if you haven't already. Anything that strengthens the quads and calves. I love one-legged calf raises: stand on one foot and get up on your toes 15 times or so. It's really hard but improves your balance and calf strength tremendously. For quads, either a leg extension machine, leg presses, or squats (unladen or otherwise, but with good form).

Make sure to take a rest between your running days. If all you do is run, you will get injured sooner or later.

I put embarrassingly few miles on these shoes. I get some squats and lunges in at least once a week, but I'll up that amount and switch them up. And I definitely have been taking a day off between running days. I had been doing yoga on the off days, but I haven't done much besides strength training stuff since Sunday. Thanks for the suggestions :)
  • jsj024519
    jsj024519 Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    hmm.. I recommend seeing a doctor!
  • shaylan_
    Options
    Thanks everyone. It's really encouraging to see that others have had knee problems and have gotten them figured out. I was starting to get a bit down on myself, thinking I might not ever be able to be a runner. I'll start incorporating the things I didn't already into my routine and go from there!