Patience + The Little Things

Options
A few weeks ago I looked at the scale and was very discouraged. I started my new healthy lifestyle in January and had only last 6 or so pounds. I didn't get it. I was eating around 1200 - 1500 calories a day, working out 2-3x a week. I cut back on junk food, replacing it with healthier snacks. I only drink 2 Cokes a week now (actually, now I don't even finish the bottle anymore). But the scale was not moving.
Then I had a conversation with someone that changed things up. She told me that I was probably starving myself, as my body was used to a higher calories. Then another conversation, with my awesome mom, reminded me that I had to deal with a concussion. Also, I went away twice - once for work and once for pleasure. All this needed to be taken into account. So I adjusted my goals (increased my calorie intake to 1600-1800 - which is working and I'm no longer hungry, and made a goal of losing 2000 calories a week through working out - haven't hit it yet)
Last week, I bought a new swim suit (as I have been swimming and mine was not working anymore). In the change room, I cried - the suit that fit was 4 sizes smaller. The scale hadn't shown it yet, but how can a swim suit lie?
This week, the scale has dipped to a total 11 lbs lost in 11 weeks.

Here is what I have learned - It is patience and the little things that equal victory.
- Celebrate the little things - are your favourite jeans to big and need a belt? (mid-February) can you walk up stairs you without losing breath? (beginning of February) Do you get excited about your workouts (since January) Does your body crave good food and the thought of fast food is gross? (February) etc. I will now use my food notes to write this little victories, this way I can count them too.
- Patience - this is not a race, sometimes the goals aren't working, this will take time... that is why the little things are so important.

Last note - For me, I have other reasons to do this beyond looking good. Yes, I would love to show off my new tattoo in the summer - but I would also love to run with the kids I teach. I would love to swim laps without stopping for rests. I would love to be strong and healthy. I'm getting there... with patience and the little things.

Replies

• Matholo425
    Matholo425 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Thnx 4 motivating me n congrats,every litle count
  • dmedlin
    dmedlin Posts: 4
    Options
    Thanks for your post...I seem to be stuck at a certain weight..I lost about 6 pounds in the beginning and now it just seems to go up and down a pound or so and won't go down... My clothes fit better and people notice the weight but I have decided to stay off of the scales..My trainer at the gym said that all women struggle with this and that the we need to just stay at it and stay off the scales...That's my plan for a while...
  • lanakills
    lanakills Posts: 12
    Options
    I see a bit of myself in you.
    Thank you for this message. It's really encouraging and motivating.
    I am wondering if I eat enough. I will figure it out through the weeks I guess.

And yeah, the scale is a ***** haha There is no better proof of weigh loss than your clothes!
  • molina76853
    molina76853 Posts: 143
    Options
    Great Post! Thanks for the reminders!
  • DSzokol
    DSzokol Posts: 6
    Options
    Thank you all for your responses - it adds to my day. All then best to you on then journey.
  • Freedomgurl585
    Freedomgurl585 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    very motivating thank you :drinker:
  • climbamnt
    climbamnt Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    That’s awesome congrats! Also your attitude is amazing; more people should approach the journey as a becoming healthy! Good luck and keep it up!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!