PROTEIN SHAKES, ANYONE?????

Options
So, I went to the doctor today and told her that I'm working on losing weight.... and she mentioned drinking some sort of protein shake... what does everybody or anybody prefer???

Replies

• pilarg18
    pilarg18 Posts: 25
    Options
    I like the GNC Total Lean in the Vanilla Bean flavor. 170 cal per 14oz bottle, 6 g fat (1 g saturated fat, 0 trans fats), 20 mg cholesterol, 330 mg sodium, 310 mg potassium, 6 carbs (3 g fiber, 2 g sugar), and 25 g protein. The sodium is a little high but I like the taste and the convenience of it being bottled so I don't have to make it at work.
  • mich1902
    mich1902 Posts: 182
    Options
    I'm just wondering why she advises you to have a protein shake? Keeping your calories at a defecit will help you to lose the weight without spending money on protein powder. Do you track how many grams a day that you eat? It sounds a bit like she is suggesting you have a shake instead of eating which in my opinion, is crazy..unless you want to though? I keep protein powder for a shake sometimes after a weights workout. I'd much rather eat food though.
  • Coyoteldy
    Coyoteldy Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I make my own shakes.. that way I know exactly what is in them. I use a vanilla protien powder ( some of the chocolate ones are terrible) and I use fruit, yogurt and non fat milk....cantelopes, water melon, strawberries black berries, blueberries peaches bananas apples, what ever I want goes into the bullets with the protien powder every morning. Its a great way to start the day and the protien helps to restore muscles after exercise.
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    I like the GNC Total Lean in the Vanilla Bean flavor. 170 cal per 14oz bottle, 6 g fat (1 g saturated fat, 0 trans fats), 20 mg cholesterol, 330 mg sodium, 310 mg potassium, 6 carbs (3 g fiber, 2 g sugar), and 25 g protein. The sodium is a little high but I like the taste and the convenience of it being bottled so I don't have to make it at work.

lots of wacky ingredients and sugar alcohols though. also, it's cheaper to make shakes at home. just throw some protein powder, fruit, veggies, in a blender and done.

or you can do a chocolatey/vanilla-y shake with peanut butter and other more savory ingredients. but home made is definitely the cheapest.
  • RainHoward
    RainHoward Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    I use the cytoplex muscle milk from costco. generally two a day and one meal. At least for now.
  • xiamjackie
    xiamjackie Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Right now I make my own with 100% Gold Standard Optimum Whey- Double Chocolate flavor. Someone on my friends list recently posted about Trutein though, and now I'm really really wanting to try that.

After my workouts I mix 1 scoop protein powder, half of a frozen banana (that I stuck in the freezer that morning), half cup almond milk, ice cubes and a little water. I make mine like it's a legit milkshake. It's my favorite thing to look forward to after a workout :)
  • AutumnNeigel
    Options
    I use Herbalife shakes. I've seen really good progress with them; my mom lost 50 pounds in a year while on Herbalife!