Obese & Thinking of c25k ?

Options
Stop thinking about it and just do it!!!!

I am 5'2 age 41 & have 69 more lb's to lose. I really wanted to do some exercise but had been making excuses, the weather, I hate the gym, I'm too fat to move yet, I don't have time the list went on.... then one morning after weeks of research i downloaded c25k app. I spent 3 days knowing it was on my ipod before i actually got out and gave it a go! I have not done any physical activity since school, I don't like exercise, maybe id' done a little walking up to this point. I don't know what snapped in me on 8th March but off my butt I got and went out with my ipod and the c25k app. I wasn't expecting miracles but on reading lots of reviews, I knew I wasn't in a race so i could take my time and repeat week 1's workout as much as i needed to. To my complete astonishment I worked through the 30 min's of the app nearly all the way through with a few extra stops and shorter running periods than I was supposed to... something happened when i got home from the session... I was bouncing around really happy that i'd done as much as i had. I was hooked!!!! Day 2 was harder i had sore muscles from day 1 but i went out and gave it my best missing a few run's or stopping short again. I will not lie it wasn't easy, I kept myself focused on summer and the shorts i want to wear and reaction on everyone's faces when they knew what i'd been doing! I did the workout week 1, 4 times it recommended 3. I think the reason i did it 4 times was because i didn't believe i could do the next phase. BY session 3 of week one (it was that quick) when the ipod said half way I felt ok about it....i was tired, sweating and at times thinking i can't do this but something made me carry on. I decided to give week 2 a go. This is going from running 60 seconds to 90. Already i'd realised on week 1 my recovery between walk and run was getting quicker. I went out did week2 day1 & completed it... I was so shocked, I even cried... it was an emotional moment. My 5th ever run and I did it... 90 seconds running 2 mins walking for 20 mins... I didn't just do it I did it convincingly! My running might not be fast but i'm hauling round 69lb's of excess weight and I'm doing more than i was 2 weeks ago. I never thought it possible after even 3 days of doing the app i'd go from zero to being able to jog....it was the best move i've made this year by far. I can' wait to run a 5k race in the future :smile:

I guess i'm hoping that if you're reading this you will be inspired to get out and give it a go.... I do every other day and on days i don't do it I really miss it. I can't wait to be able to run 5k, in 6 sessions i'm now doing 3k walking/running. It's going to get harder i'm sure but BRING IT ON! So don't let excuses stand in your way like I did get out there and try..... :smile:

Replies

• pet1127
    pet1127 Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    Isnt that feeling GREAT I am redoing the c25k and upping my speed a bitnow turtle are still passing me but that is ok
    I ram one 5km race newyears eve and I cried at the end so much my hubby thought I had hurt myself lol
    Next race may 11th the were is franktown race it will be a timmed race I am so excited

keep moving you are going great
  • sweetpea101077
    sweetpea101077 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I am inspired!
  • donnalisa40
    Options
    Hi, I'm very much in the same boat as you and have also recently started the C25k! I need to lose 62lb, and I'm part way there, but still hauling far too much weight around with me!

I've just done week 3 - it took me 5 sessions to successfully run the two lots of 3 minutes, it was hard going. Moving up to week 4 this week was quite a scary moment. To my amazement, I seemed to fall into a rhythm on the first 3 minutes and when she said to walk I felt like I could have continued, but I knew I had to save myself for the 5 minutes which was coming...

in reality, I ran 4 lots of 3 minutes rather than 2 lots of 3 and 2 lots of 5, but compared tow week 3 where I struggled to do 2 lots of 90 seconds and two lots of 3 minutes I was ecstatic! For me, without a doubt, 3 times a week is hard work. My muscles feel well worked over each day when I run, and I need the rest day to recover. In fact, the day when I run after 2 days off I feel that I get quite a bit further, but the improvement is absolutely unbelievable. I am really amazed at how successful this is, how I can feel my body changing so quickly!

A couple of questions for you - I'm getting shin splints which I know is weight related, although I am susceptable as I had them before when I wasn't overweight. Have you?

Secondly, have you noticed any change in your weightloss? I'm finding that to start with I lost a bit quicker, but now that I'm finding it harder, my weight is actually gaining, even though I'm averaging less than 1300-1500 cals per day (before taking off the exercise calories). I can only hope that it's water retention as the muscles repair. I see the change in my clothes fit, but the scales are going the wrong way! Are you seeing anything like this?

Dx
  • Lady_Kayla
    Options
    Hi, I'm very much in the same boat as you and have also recently started the C25k! I need to lose 62lb, and I'm part way there, but still hauling far too much weight around with me!

I've just done week 3 - it took me 5 sessions to successfully run the two lots of 3 minutes, it was hard going. Moving up to week 4 this week was quite a scary moment. To my amazement, I seemed to fall into a rhythm on the first 3 minutes and when she said to walk I felt like I could have continued, but I knew I had to save myself for the 5 minutes which was coming...

in reality, I ran 4 lots of 3 minutes rather than 2 lots of 3 and 2 lots of 5, but compared tow week 3 where I struggled to do 2 lots of 90 seconds and two lots of 3 minutes I was ecstatic! For me, without a doubt, 3 times a week is hard work. My muscles feel well worked over each day when I run, and I need the rest day to recover. In fact, the day when I run after 2 days off I feel that I get quite a bit further, but the improvement is absolutely unbelievable. I am really amazed at how successful this is, how I can feel my body changing so quickly!

A couple of questions for you - I'm getting shin splints which I know is weight related, although I am susceptable as I had them before when I wasn't overweight. Have you?

Secondly, have you noticed any change in your weightloss? I'm finding that to start with I lost a bit quicker, but now that I'm finding it harder, my weight is actually gaining, even though I'm averaging less than 1300-1500 cals per day (before taking off the exercise calories). I can only hope that it's water retention as the muscles repair. I see the change in my clothes fit, but the scales are going the wrong way! Are you seeing anything like this?

Dx

Hiya
    I got shin splints in the first week and since then no more. My shins and thighs were very painful the first week.... I thought this was more down to lack of previous exercise. The only warm up i did was the 5 min walk c25k tells you to do. Looking at info on line it's very much about your shoes. I have running trainers but not professionally fitted. I do not run very fast and I don't bounce much either so guess i strike the floor quite low impact. I am starting to feel a difference in the running parts. I relax my shoulders and soften my knees and I seem to find running much easier than if i'm tense.

With regard to the weight loss. Since i started i have only lost 1lb on the bathroom scales! i am trying not to be disappointed as my clothes do feel loser. I'm hoping the exercise is the reason the scale is not moving. I tend to under eat, this is a mental thing i have to get over. I am trying for 1300/1500 a day. To be honest though, since i started exercising i'm not as bothered by the scales. I used to get on them everyday. I measured myself when i started hopefully whatever the scales say the measure will be kinder :wink:

If you would like to add me moral support is invaluable :bigsmile:

You are doing awesome you should be really proud of yourself... think back to before you started to how far you've come... amazing x
  • Lady_Kayla
    Options
    Isnt that feeling GREAT I am redoing the c25k and upping my speed a bitnow turtle are still passing me but that is ok
    I ram one 5km race newyears eve and I cried at the end so much my hubby thought I had hurt myself lol
    Next race may 11th the were is franktown race it will be a timmed race I am so excited

keep moving you are going great

It is the best feeling in the world... I can't relay this to people enough!!! Hey those turtles will soon be eating your dust...and mine! Good luck in your race on 11th, I'm sure you'll push yourself and surprise yourself...!

if you want a c25k buddy then add me... It would be lovely to have some support :bigsmile:
  • Shenanagins85
    Shenanagins85 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Do it! I love C25K by Zen labs! I got a bunch of girls from work to sign up for a Mud Run with me, this one is 4+mi with over 20 obstacles.There are girls on my team over 250lbs, some that never run or exercise either. Trust me and I am no where near top notch myself. But we are all on week three together, we may run at different paces but that is okay. I really cant believe how fast 30 mins can go by and you will see improvements almost right away. The whole programs is laid out for you when to rest when to run how many days a week to do it. And if you need to do another day over again it okay. Just get out there and do it! You got this!!
  • donnalisa40
    Options
    Your comments gave me the will to continue rather than slow down "because my shins hurt" and this morning there was considerably less pain, so maybe it is as things settle down :-)

On the other hand, weight has increased by another 1lb, this has to stop at some point (I hope!!)

have a great weekend, and thank you for your lovely reply Dx
  • bowhuntr09
    bowhuntr09 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I started running in early February. I am up to 5 miles now. I started having shin splints early on. By the second week I went to the local running store and got professionally fitted for the proper shoe. I also got shin compression sleeves. I wear the sleeves during all my runs and even much of the day after a run. They really help. I recommend them highly.

Great job! Keep it up!! Go ahead and enter a 5k and put it on the calendar. Nothing like having a goal to shoot for on the horizon!!
  • dennik15
    dennik15 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I started running in early February. I am up to 5 miles now. I started having shin splints early on. By the second week I went to the local running store and got professionally fitted for the proper shoe. I also got shin compression sleeves. I wear the sleeves during all my runs and even much of the day after a run. They really help. I recommend them highly.

Great job! Keep it up!! Go ahead and enter a 5k and put it on the calendar. Nothing like having a goal to shoot for on the horizon!!

First of all, you could be my brother's twin in your profile pic...nice buck, BTW. Anyway, that's not the only thing you have in common. His wife is a runner and wanted to run a 1/2 marathon, but not alone. He started running a year ago with his road crew and out in the woods. He surprised her by signing up with her for the 1/2 marathon and they both did great! He's now running regular 5K's with 1/2 marathons thrown in and just recently signed up for a Warrior Run. Not to mention that he was a smoker for years and still regularly comes in 2nd or 3rd in everything but the marathons. I figure if he can do it, maybe I can too. This thread is making me think very hard about doing a program with my company that takes you from beginner to a 5K in 6 weeks. I'm scared!
  • kristafb
    kristafb Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    I've been considering the program for some time but thought I'm too fat to run, I'll do it when I lose weight (dumb right?) Two weeks ago I came across the RUntastic Timer app that allows you to set your own intervals for any workout so I've been doing walk/run intervals on my treadmill everyday. I started at 3mins/30sec intervals & then changed to 2 mins/45 secs and upped my sets daily by 1. When I got to 10 sets I upped the run part by 15 seconds. I'm now up to 2 mins run & 1 minute running for 6-8 sets (depending on my work schedule) so I'm ready to download the C25K app & give it a go. I have 75 lbs to lose and have suffered with Plantar faciaitis for a couple of years but with the help of my new orthotics & some good shoes I"m doing pretty well.

I loved your post, thanks for making me believe I can do this too!! Keep it up!
  • bowhuntr09
    Options

First of all, you could be my brother's twin in your profile pic...nice buck, BTW. Anyway, that's not the only thing you have in common. His wife is a runner and wanted to run a 1/2 marathon, but not alone. He started running a year ago with his road crew and out in the woods. He surprised her by signing up with her for the 1/2 marathon and they both did great! He's now running regular 5K's with 1/2 marathons thrown in and just recently signed up for a Warrior Run. Not to mention that he was a smoker for years and still regularly comes in 2nd or 3rd in everything but the marathons. I figure if he can do it, maybe I can too. This thread is making me think very hard about doing a program with my company that takes you from beginner to a 5K in 6 weeks. I'm scared!

JUST DO IT!!!

I'm 46, 60# overweight and I signed up for a 10k in early April. I had never run in my life when I signed up. The local YMCA has a training team they do every year for this 10k and this year I signed up to do the training team with them. The training team is just a group run every Saturday and a booklet with a training plan not at all unlike C25K. Through the week I train on my own and every Saturday I show up at the Y for my group run. I know I have to do my training through the week or I wont be able to hang with the group on Saturday so I get out there and do it.

I NEVER thought I would enjoy running. I've never "enjoyed" any exercise, but I can truly say that I am liking this running thing. I still have to force that little voice in my head to shut up and just go do it, and the first mile is the hardest for me, but I feel SO GOOD when I'm done it makes it all worth it. Seriously, i know its a Nike slogan, but JUST DO IT!!!!
  • oosterman
    oosterman Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I'm 304lbs, i have 114lbs to loose. I am on week 2 workout 3 of the C25K. the first week was brutal. My shins killed. I pushed through it.
    week 2 has been great. I could easily run for longer than the 90 seconds and my shins don't hurt any more.

I have good shoes. New balance 750V1's they work well for me. If I can do it you can.
  • bowhuntr09
    Options
  • dennik15
    dennik15 Posts: 97 Member
    Options

JUST DO IT!!!

I'm 46, 60# overweight and I signed up for a 10k in early April. I had never run in my life when I signed up. The local YMCA has a training team they do every year for this 10k and this year I signed up to do the training team with them. The training team is just a group run every Saturday and a booklet with a training plan not at all unlike C25K. Through the week I train on my own and every Saturday I show up at the Y for my group run. I know I have to do my training through the week or I wont be able to hang with the group on Saturday so I get out there and do it.

I NEVER thought I would enjoy running. I've never "enjoyed" any exercise, but I can truly say that I am liking this running thing. I still have to force that little voice in my head to shut up and just go do it, and the first mile is the hardest for me, but I feel SO GOOD when I'm done it makes it all worth it. Seriously, i know its a Nike slogan, but JUST DO IT!!!!

OK, I'm committed. I start tomorrow with the training program. My goal is to run the Komen Race for the Cure on 5/18. I can DO this!
  • bowhuntr09
    Options

OK, I'm committed. I start tomorrow with the training program. My goal is to run the Komen Race for the Cure on 5/18. I can DO this!

Great! Yes, you can DO this!
  • BunkyBumBum
    BunkyBumBum Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I loved the C25k program! I was really (almost irrationally) upset when at the end of the last run of week 7 I felt my previously very seriously injured foot/ankle pop and it started hurting like mad. It took 2 months before I could walk normally again and that terrified me -I have a 5 year old, I can't be laid up- so I haven't gone back to it, but I really, really loved it. Now I use the arc trainer (easier on my ankles/feet), but I admit that I'd love to be able to do some trail running when the weather warms up or even run alongside my son while he rides his bike.
  • dramallamaduck
    dramallamaduck Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I have around 120 lbs to lose... I am set to do day 3 week 2 of C25K by Zen Labs tonight. I'm definitely noticing a difference in how my clothes fit and my stamina. I am getting fitted for a new pair of running shoes next month and I've learned that wrapping my ankles helps a ton. I never realized how weak my ankles were until I started C25K.

I should also add that I have more screws in my knee than a Home Depot. The only time I don't run or walk is when the Texas weather goes funky on me and gets cold. The hardware really gets grumpy below about 50 degrees.