looking for advice from some veterans (successful people)

Options
Today is my 6th day starting this new journey, i am a 5'8' female and have weighed about 262 pounds for like the last 5 or so years. I decided that I needed change in my life, tired of feeling like crap all of the time. So I confided in a friend and she pointed me into the direction of this site. I am ready for some BIG change in my life but i dont want to set myself up for failure. I am starting slow and working my way up. If any of you have time to look through my diary, let me know what you think. The first couples days were a rough start, but i am thinking now that i may be looking better, but would love any input on this. Thanks in advance!

Replies

• amymaytay
    amymaytay Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    anyone?
  • workout_junkee
    workout_junkee Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Overall, what you are eating Is not too bad but you need more of it. I would try to eat at least 1200 calories a day minimum. I would suggest ditching the pop/soda too but I know that is easier said than done.
  • amymaytay
    Options
    Even though it was only one per day, i went ahead and ditched the soda, now just 1 (very rarely 2 coffees) and the rest water all day everyday, which is great cause i absolutely do love water.....5 pounds down a lifetime to go ;-)
  • kuntry_navy
    kuntry_navy Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    you're definitely gonna see some results after you ditched that soda
  • bearsmom82
    bearsmom82 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Wishing you all the best as you begin your new life!

In your diary, I saw two dinners in a row eating in restaurants - they are difficult to manage because the sodium and fat content is usually very high - I would try to keep it to eating out only once a week - and sticking to grilled meat and salad if you can.

Overall, watch your sodium content - it will lead to water retention, which can disguise your true weight loss.

and one last piece of advice - pre-log your meals - if you plan ahead, you have better visibility/control over your day's intake - and you can see if there won't be enough calories for a certain meal.
  • amymaytay
    Options
    my goal is to not eat out more than once a week, but low and behold my fiancee had different plans this week...i did look up the menus of the restaurants beforehand and picked what i thought was best suited by calories/fat content but you are soo right about the sodium...i am def trying to find ways to cut down sodium...when i prepare my own food, i dont use salt at all, dont really care for the stuff...just gotta watch for the hidden stuff.
  • amymaytay
    Options
    EDITED STARTING WEIGHT-
    Today is my 6th day starting this new journey, i am a 5'8' female and have weighed about (EDIT 270--I MUSTA BEEN FOOLING MYSELF, LOL) 262 pounds for like the last 5 or so years. I decided that I needed change in my life, tired of feeling like crap all of the time. So I confided in a friend and she pointed me into the direction of this site. I am ready for some BIG change in my life but i dont want to set myself up for failure. I am starting slow and working my way up. If any of you have time to look through my diary, let me know what you think. The first couples days were a rough start, but i am thinking now that i may be looking better, but would love any input on this. Thanks in advance!
  • organicgirl22
    Options
    Good job in taking the first step on this journey.

Some advice, drink lots of water, eat clean whole foods (not processed), lots of fruits and veggies, minimize your meat intake, get moving. Even something as low impact as walking each day will make a big difference, it will help you lose weight and help your lung/heart functions also.

Good luck and feel free to msg me for motivation :)
  • Riemersma4
    Riemersma4 Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    Ok, my comments:
    * starting is the second most important step, continuing is the most important. Congrats on starting.
    * looks like you used the std MFP settings. They set protein way to low. I suggest to newbies to try to get to 40/30/30 for carbo/protein/fat. Good fats are good.
    * kill the sugar. While you can factor it into your total cals but it robs you of QUALITY fuel.
    * what are you doing for exercise? Building some muscle tone will help you win the battle!

Get fit in the gym, get skinny in the kitchen

Good luck
  • amymaytay
    Options
    Ok, my comments:
    * starting is the second most important step, continuing is the most important. Congrats on starting.
    * looks like you used the std MFP settings. They set protein way to low. I suggest to newbies to try to get to 40/30/30 for carbo/protein/fat. Good fats are good.
    * kill the sugar. While you can factor it into your total cals but it robs you of QUALITY fuel.
    * what are you doing for exercise? Building some muscle tone will help you win the battle!

Get fit in the gym, get skinny in the kitchen

Good luck

I have been trying to ensure i eat as much protein as i possibly can, and i did just use the standard settings for my intakes....right now i have started with walking alot, and little steps like not taking the elevator at work anymore, parking further away, going the long way around....i have started having "mini races" with my 11 year old and started incorporating some sit-ups and will start push-ups today.....As much as I want to join a gym, kind of want to save the money if possible and do things I can do for free or already have on hand---we have a wii that i want to start taking advantage of, for instance. I know sticking with it is the main thing so that is why I am trying to do slow and steady so the changes i do stick and i can slowly increase what I am doing.......Definately tired of feeling like poo and want to change my life for the better :-)
  • Stenobun
    Stenobun Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I started at close to the same weight as you (253 lbs), started out with just walking, then moved on after about three months to the 30 Day Shred from Jillian Michaels. She kicks your butt, but it's a great way to build some strength. I only just joined the gym a few weeks ago; the first six 1/2 months were all on my own.
  • amymaytay
    Options
    :wink: :wink:
    I started at close to the same weight as you (253 lbs), started out with just walking, then moved on after about three months to the 30 Day Shred from Jillian Michaels. She kicks your butt, but it's a great way to build some strength. I only just joined the gym a few weeks ago; the first six 1/2 months were all on my own.

Good to know, Thanks! I have def heard alot of people talking about the 30DS....maybe looking into this in the near future