am i doing enough

Options
I brisk walk very fast for 5 k about five days a week pushing a pram is this doing enough exercise? I cant afford a gym and I have three kids I don't have time for gym so I do exercise from home

Replies

• OnionMomma
    OnionMomma Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    If it's working for you and you are losing weight, then YES it's enough!
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Successfully losing weight is a product of properly tuning your diet, not the type or quantity of exercise you perform
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    It's certainly good for your cardiovascular system! (And I bet the one in the pram sleeps better at night, for having had the fresh air).
  • AlleyDwyer
    Options
    ok thanks . well I am eating healthy but I cant eat all of the suggested calories its just way too much and im coping fine
  • AlleyDwyer
    Options
    thanks he certainly does :)
  • PurpleTina
    PurpleTina Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    ...and as far as exercise goes, if you think you can sustain what you're doing long term, it's going to be far more successful than suddenly joining a gym, going every day for a couple of weeks and then stopping. Something that fits into your lifestyle like walking with the pram sounds perfect.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    ok thanks . well I am eating healthy but I cant eat all of the suggested calories its just way too much and im coping fine

if you're under eating you may be coping fine but your weight loss will most likely stall before you reach your goal of losing 40 kilos
  • shakirafridi1972
    Options
    Hi there. I do rope jumping for 20 minutes and burn 355 calories. It depends how many calories you take and how many you have to burn to get your goal. You can search for your brisk walk that how many calories you burn in 5k. I lost 11Kg in almost 10 weeks. Best of luck to get your goal. Cheers. Shakir
  • organicgirl22
    Options
    Since you are already speed walking, you should try running. Just start out slowly, running for a minute or so and then going back to speed walking till you are mostly running.
  • mmddwechanged
    mmddwechanged Posts: 1,687 Member
    Options
    You are an awesome exerciser and an awesome Mom! Keep it up:)
    (I got to my goal weight without relying on exercise to help me)
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    I lost my baby weight from my first 2 pregnancies just by walking as an exercise. I lost the weight easily enough.

Although I will say your body will not really benefit aesthetically from just walking. After my last baby I've been working out so have the added benefit of being and looking much fitter.
  • trainguy917
    trainguy917 Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I just love the word pram. Not being ironic. Not an inside joke. I just think it's a lovely word that I wish Americans would use.
  • FrnkLft
    FrnkLft Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    Exercise has two benefits. The first is that it strengthens your body, the second is that it burns calories which can help in you hit your body fat goals.

If the exercise you are doing isn't too strenuous, if you're logging it in your diary as cardiovascular exercise, and if it's helping you hit your daily NET calorie goal (the green or red number in your diary) then you're good to go :)

By the way, if you are letting MFP set your calorie goals, make sure you have it set to "Sedentary" and that you are logging your exercises seperately. This will give you a much clearer picture of what's going on and what changes you may or may not need to make.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    OP I lost the first 20 lbs with no exercise except walking. I added pilates and weights later because I was more concerned with overall fitness, but as long as you have a calorie deficit you'll lose weight just fine.
  • mazdauk
    mazdauk Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    OP, walking with a pram is very good exercise (I certainly found it better to walk to the shops and push baby AND shopping back than fiddle about in and out of the car!).

If you want to tone up the baby belly a bit I swear by Rosemary Conley DVDs (I swear she should give me commission!). Several of them are broken down into smaller workouts so you can fit them into your schedule (such as during nap time), they're not expensive on Amazon (you can get them used & new as well) and you can start gently and work up.

I've also just started Zumba - its so much fun I don't actually care if it helps lose weight (well I do, but I'd still go if it didn't if you see what I mean:ohwell: ). The class I go to is in a local school, much cheaper than the gym ones (and you don't need to be a "member").
  • CrystalDreams
    CrystalDreams Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    You are doing more than most people, congrats to you for fitting in exercise with a busy life and kids.
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    I brisk walk very fast for 5 k about five days a week pushing a pram is this doing enough exercise? I cant afford a gym and I have three kids I don't have time for gym so I do exercise from home

TO address the OP:

Yes, walking is great exercise. Perhaps you can do a few bursts of jogging while you're at it until you work up to flat out jogging. Also exercise videos at home are great as well. I go to a gym but I have a pretty decent library of DVD's that I use on my non-gym days.
  • BeccaBollons
    BeccaBollons Posts: 652 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to say well done, walking with the pram is a great exercise to get tou sweating and heart rate up! I do it too, as I can't get to a gym, so I walk with pram, and make sure I do 50 bodyweight squats every day too, then I can really feel the muscles in my posterior working as I walk. Break down the squats into 10 sets of 5, and you can do them anytime, anywhere. I try to do some everytime I boil the kettle for example.
    I am not an expert at all, just wanted to encourage you :)
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    OP, I do walking on a treadmill myself and home workouts from Youtube. Those are good exercises and you can lose plenty of weight with those exercises! Walking is a full body workout.
  • dmaster555
    Options
    Yes, you're doing enough if you eat at a caloric deficit.

Exercise is not even necessary to lose weight, given your calories are in the right place.