Weekends

Options
Nervous about the weekend - any suggestions for staying on track with my food plan? How to deal with dinners, movies, etc.

Replies

• janelre07
    Options
    I have this same struggle. I find that when I visit friends and family my health/diet plan goes out the window. It's really hard to stay on track when you are on the go or eating at someone elses house. What I've found helpful is if you go to someones house for dinner, ask what they're making and offer to bring the salad, etc. Also what I do is have snack bags in my purse full of celery, carrots, etc. that way I have something to munch on instead of eating fast food or other junk.
  • Ajasper83
    Ajasper83 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    If I kinda know what I am going to eat I will do my best to pre-log my food so that way I will not be tempted to stray. I find that if I have it recorded it is a good way to hold myself accountable.
  • ipiddock
    ipiddock Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Arghh! Weekends are my enemy. Monday to Friday is easy, nice routine, but I don't exercise at weekends and tend to spend more time with the family doing family stuff, it's hard then to have a routine that doesn't impact others. If I keep busy then it's OK, but lazing around seems to drive me to the cookie cupboard.
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    Weekends can be hard to navigate.
    Try pre-logging the meals you'll eat at home, concentrating on lower calorie options. Exercise before going out to give yourself some extra calories. By pre-logging, you'll have an idea of how many calories you can consume and that will help you make your choices for the evening.
    Exercising during the week and not eating the calories back gives a bit of a "bank" of calories for the weekend as well.
  • soni_me
    soni_me Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Most restaurants have fit or light fare. When not, I get salad wth a protein and skip the croutons and dressing ( only oil and lemon). I take my own snacks and a bottled water to the movies via my purse.
  • theCarlton
    theCarlton Posts: 1,344 Member
    Options
    You can:

- Find out where you're going to dinner(s) or out to eat before you go. Head to the computer and look up the restaurant's menu. Plan ahead for what you'll order.

- Work out twice as hard or stay very active BEFORE you go, and eat what you'd like.

- If the restaurant doesn't have their Nutritional Facts posted, remember to stay away from obvious high-calories (fried food, "tempura" "crispy" "bites" "nuggets" etc., things covered in cheese, drinks high in sugar like specialty martinis and margaritas). Most places have baked or grilled options. Ask for sauces/dressings on the side.
  • TimeForMe99
    TimeForMe99 Posts: 309
    Options
    Search the boards for "restaurants". You'll find lots of tips. Tops among them:

Plan ahead by checking the menus online; most chains will have their nutritional info on their website. When asked where you'd like to go, have a few options that you feel comfortable with.
    Avoid the bread basket, chips, etc. unless you have calories/carbs to burn. Those breadsticks have way more calories than you'd think.
    Eat well during the day so you're not ravenous at dinner. If you've preselected dinner it's easier to pick lunch and breakfast that will fit your macros.
    Watch out for high fat dressings on salads, cheese and crouton garnishes, etc. Ask for substitutions or hold these items.
    If you like to nibble during movies pack your own quiet snacks. I've found a VS bag doesn't draw any attention at a mall movie theater.

Get in some extra cardio to gain more calories for the day. A long walk with your SO will earn you a margarita to have with your chicken fajitas.

Enjoy the weekend!!
  • csheltra26
    csheltra26 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    I try to give myself a buffer during the week - leave and extra 100-200 calories a day I don't eat so I can add those in on the weekend. Plus I keep active on the weekend giving myself those extra calories to eat. I try to be very cognizant of what I eat - I may eat a piece of pizza or 2, just not the whole pie. Hope that helps.
  • bigphatcat
    bigphatcat Posts: 7,843 Member
    Options
    I typically eat more on the weekends too and I drink beer on the weekend. There is only one way I know around it. Yearn it, Earn it and Burn It. You wanna have a couple of beers...go ahead...just get some extra workout time in. If you consume 500 calories above your BMR You MUST burn an additional 500 calories. There is no magic...just hard work and dedication. If you go ovr late on Saturday night, you must make up for it on Sunday
  • BrawlerBella
    BrawlerBella Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    No one can make you eat what you don't want. Workout, prelog and carry healthy snacks with you. If you eat out stay clear of gravies, fried, choose grilled chicken, salmon. If you choose salad ask for the dressing on the side and dip with your fork.
  • djc0821
    djc0821 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Plan ahead, pre-log your food, find time for some exercise, share an entree with a friend at the restaurant. And if you fall off the wagon, climb back on and forge ahead.
  • Aurora1525
    Aurora1525 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Weekends are certainly more difficult than weekdays. I do a few things to keep myself in check:

1. Make sure you exercise on Friday. Chances are you THINK you'll be motivated to exercise over the weekend, but let's face it - you're not going to do it.

2. Log in food beforehand and try your best to stick to it.

3. Give yourself some freedom. My family always goes out to eat on Saturday nights. I skip the appetizer and I either choose a sensible dinner (portobello sandwich) or I may choose a more calorie-rich dinner and eat only half of it. I don't really care if I go over my calorie limit on Saturdays. I find that I actually eat less than I think I'll eat at the restaurant anyway! And doing a small splurge (an extra 300 calories over) really hasn't had any impact on my weight loss. I exercise and count calories 6 days a week...so I give myself some freedom and let myself enjoy a night out. So should you!
  • epfenick
    epfenick Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I was having lots of problems with weekends when I first started. I was doing great during the week but couldn't maintain the intake portion on the weekends. I stopped eating back all of my exercise calories during the week, that way I could go over some on the weekend and still be under for the week.
  • beckimj
    beckimj Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    For eating out, I order a to go box with my dinner. When dinner arrives, I put half in the box before I even start, that way I am not tempted to keep eating because it is there in front of me. If there are those "must have" appetizers or desserts, find someone to order with and share, rather than having the whole thing yourself. Through the winter months, our family has spent a lot of weekend time at the Y together. We'll work out separately and meet in the hot tub, or plan an activity for all of us to do together from side by side bike riding to basketball. We are looking forward to warmer months so we can get outside for hikes, walks, and activities while camping.

Most movie theaters sell water, so you can choose that as your beverage. Last weekend, our family went to the movies and we ordered a popcorn, without butter, and didn't add extra salt. They have "kids cups" you can distribute the bigger bag to individuals. I was able to have one of those. I didn't feel deprived, it fit into my calories, and I didn't eat the whole big bag because it was in my lap. My choices also don't negatively impact my family. My husband even chose to just have a cup filled and we left the rest of the bag with the four teenagers we were sitting with...win, win, win.