Really need support from other women with PCOS!

Options
I am only a few pounds overweight, but I've noticed since I've exceeded my BMI my cycle has stopped. My doctor said both the change in my cycle and my weight gain was caused by PCOS. I thought that by loosing weight I could regain control over my fertility, but my sister (who also has PCOS) says that my sugars, not my calories, are what I should be watching. Has anyone had success with either method?

Replies

• AdrieAZ
    AdrieAZ Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS as well. I'm currently going to school for Oriental Medicine and I've heard a few different things about it. Your sister is right in telling you its all about the sugars. Another thing is Carbohydrates. Carbs get turned into sugar in the body. Glucose is Glucose. So I'd recommend a LOW Sugar, LOW Carb diet. Please also tell me you are not drinking Milk too. Its the worst for you. Its mucus forming and can promote the growth of the cysts. I've heard of people doing this sort of diet and reversing PCOS. It takes time and exercise to flush it out of your system. I'm still working/ dealing with it.
  • enaid08
    enaid08 Posts: 10
    Options
    Oh nooooo, I think me and Mr. bread will be breaking up soon. It was a good run I guess. =(

Thanks for confirming the sugar/carb theory and for the tip about milk. I do not drink it much but I will definitely stay away from it now. Just yesterday I was considering buying cereal, but I suppose oatmeal will suffice.

=) Good to hear some scientific insight! Thanks again.
  • Greenlola
    Greenlola Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Hi Ladies,

I too have PCOS, when i was first diagnosed my cycle had stopped for 6 months and I had gained almost 60lbs during that time alone (not that i was thin by any means before that) the additional weight put me at around 245, the heaviest i have ever been.
    This came at a time when my husband and i were attempting to get pregnant but not very serious about it, so when i cycle first stopped and i started gaining weight i actually thought i might be pregnant and took several home and doctor pregnancy tests over the first 2-3 months.
    Then the investigation started while i gained weight, regardless of how hard i worked on my food intake.
    The news came around 6 months and 245lb. then the attempts at losing the weight, getting control of the PCOS with metformin started as well as fertility (the metformin was part of that). I did lose some weight during this time, but not much about 10lbs only. After 7 months or so of fertility i gave up and decided to take control of my body.
    I started with a very strict diet and went on to lose the 60lbs i had gained, then i decided to take a break off the diet and do a cleanse with a homeopathic doctor. About 3 months after i was PREGNANT :)

My daughter is now 6 years old, and i am back again trying to battle the weight gained during the pregnancy (got to almost 240lbs) that has not left my body. I am at 226.5 at the moment.

So my long story is to tell you all that with hard work and determination it is possible to achieve.
  • enaid08
    Options
    inspirational
  • enaid08
    Options
    sugar free oatmeal that is. lol Im gonna start having to make some changes.
  • Jennisin1
    Jennisin1 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    Low carb diet has completely changed my life.