Protein, need help

Options
How can I get more protein into my diet without supplementing a shake or eating meat often?
I occasionally eat chicken or fish, sometimes lean ground beef. But I want to stay away from high calorie sources. I snack on almonds and love multigrain cheerios but I always seem to come up low on protein by the end of the day.
I am pregnant, in the 3rd trimester so protein is very important for growing baby, if anyone can help offer some suggestion [not high calorie suggestions plz] it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for reading!

Replies

• rowanwood
    rowanwood Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    Eggs, Cottage Cheese and Edamame.
  • Aza_
    Aza_ Posts: 7
    Options
    Greek yogurt is great for protein. If you want to watch the calories, buy it plain and add in fruits/sweetener yourself.
  • dimsumkitty
    dimsumkitty Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Eggs are amazing. Don't believe the people who say they're bad for you: they do contain saturated fat, but they're still healthier than meat.

Chickpeas/garbanzo beans and other beans and pulses are good if you like them. And there's always (skimmed) milk! :)
  • KickyLegs
    KickyLegs Posts: 53
    Options
    Quinoa, beans & lentils, nut butters

I heard cottage cheese is excellent (body builders eat this). Fat free is tasteless, I prefer the regular kind. I also heard fat free has more sodium.
  • Riemersma4
    Riemersma4 Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    eggs
    lentils
    greek yogurt
    tofu
    quinoa

For me,part of the trick is eating frequently and making sure i get protein in every meal.
  • JenS2586
    JenS2586 Posts: 85
    Options
    I don't personally like eggs, they don't sit well with me, same with milk. I try to make myself drink milk sometimes but I always feel sick after, even eating cereal makes me feel sick, but I eat it anyway for all the nutrients and its yummy haha.
    I forgot about cottage cheese! I love cottage cheese I just never remember to buy it. Ill try to remember more!
    I love peanut butter too I forgot to mention that I try eating that often.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone :)
  • TimeForMe99
    TimeForMe99 Posts: 309
    Options
    When I was pregnant I drank orange juice blended with ice and non-fat powdered milk. Tastes like an orangesicle. Powdered milk does have lactose, so if that's your issue it may be best to avoid it.

I also mixed the powdered milk into my decaf, like a latte. I was pushing calcium as well as protein.

Best of luck on your pregnancy!
  • JenS2586
    JenS2586 Posts: 85
    Options
    Thankyou. I'm not sure if its a lactose issue or not, I've never looked into it but i seem to be fine with yogurt, cheese etc. I'm very sensitive to a lot of flavoured drinks like juice, milk etc, I tend to stick to bland drinks, water, green or other herbal type teas. Orange juice is only fruit juice ill drink, I try to buy the calcium enriched one. I also have been taking tums this pregnancy for calcium and eat a lot of yogurt. My main nutrients I am tracking are protein, iron, vit c and calcium.