Lifting Weights and Losing Weight

Options
I am trying to lose about 50 pounds and so far I've lost about 10. I also want to tone up, so I've been doing some weight lifting, which I know is good, but at some point won't I start not losing weight and may even gain weight because muscle weighs more than fat?

Replies

• thecakelocker
    thecakelocker Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    In a calorie deficit, it's very unlikely for you to build new muscle tissue. Any gain in muscle you experience will be slight-- I'm talking in the neighborhood of 1-2 pounds. When you first start, you may experience an initial weight gain of a couple of pounds because your muscles will retain water to repair themselves. And keep in mind that muscle is denser than fat, so a pound of muscle is much smaller than a pound of fat!

PS: lift heavy :)
  • lilpoindexter
    lilpoindexter Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    at some point won't I start not losing weight and may even gain weight
    No
  • dmkirk28
    dmkirk28 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    1 pound of fat is equal to one pound of muscle.
  • imchicbad
    imchicbad Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    I am trying to lose about 50 pounds and so far I've lost about 10. I also want to tone up, so I've been doing some weight lifting, which I know is good, but at some point won't I start not losing weight and may even gain weight because muscle weighs more than fat?

1pound of fat weighs the same as 1 pound of muscle. That's just a scientific fact. Non debatable.
    HOWEVER mass wise ... Fat is fluffy and muscle is lean. I'm sure you get the gist of it.
  • Bankman1989
    Bankman1989 Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    You CAN GAIN muscle while losing weight. It's a proven fat. If your body fat is say 30% and you cut it down to 20% you will actually most likely gain muscle if you are lifting weights. You can get a very good caloric burn from lifting.

I am not sure if you were kidding about the 1 pound of muscle weighing more than the 1 pound of fat so I will refrain from answering that question.
  • grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,153 Member
    Options
    People love to jump on the "muscle weighs more than fat" thing, even though we all know what you really mean. Yes, it is true that muscle is denser than fat, so it is possible for you to maintain a scale weight while losing fat (and inches). I eat at a deficit and I track my weight and body fat. I have definitely been holding steady to gaining slightly lately while continuing to shed body fat. You can increase the size, strength and definition of existing lean muscle in a deficit, but you won't be building significant bulk muscle.
  • RHSheetz
    RHSheetz Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I have also found that my weight jumps all around since I started lifting... For Several reasons.

IF you choose to start lifting, stop weighing yourself. Take measurements and Photos and depend on them to tell you how you are doing. The scale will mess with your head to no end.

This is a Choice I made, and I do not regret it. Is till have a long road to go, but I felt it was best as well.

Good Luck!
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    Google is your friend
  • teddabod
    teddabod Posts: 222 Member
    Options

IF you choose to start lifting, stop weighing yourself. Take measurements and Photos and depend on them to tell you how you are doing. The scale will mess with your head to no end.

agreed.
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options

Seriously, don't worry about gaining weight from muscle, that is so hard to do.
  • mikejholmes
    mikejholmes Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    Weight gain/loss is all about calories in versus calories out. If they are equal, you won't gain or lose. If you have more calories in, you'll gain. If you have more calories out, you'll lose. This is true whether you lift weight or not.

What lifting weight WILL do for you, is ensure that you are much less likely to lose muscle, and ONLY lose fat, instead of losing both, which is what would likely happen if you ate at a deficit and didn't lift.

Also:
    Seriously, don't worry about gaining weight from muscle, that is so hard to do.
    ^This.
  • jlapey
    jlapey Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    When I first started lifting (maybe 2 months ago) I gained about 7 pounds, I've have lost it again, but I've noticed that even though today I don't weigh much different than when I started nor have my measurements changed all that much, I definitely look different. I think it's called body re-composition. My body feels harder and my clothes fit better despite the lack of change scale and measurement wise. I'm good with that. Like a previous poster said, TAKE PICTURES!
  • redredfox
    redredfox Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    While fat and muscle literally weigh the same (pound for pound), muscle is more lean and takes up less space. A one pound ball of fat is physically larger but weighs the same. Does this make sense? While the scale may not be changing, if you are turning fat into muscle, you will lose inches.
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    I lift and am losing fat. I'm not worried about the fat loss stopping at some point (why would it if I'm doing everything right). I'm also not going to be gaining muscle (I eat at a caloric deficit), but I'm rather hoping to maintain what I've got. Yes, the scale isn't the best way to measure progress, especially if you're lifting weights due to water fluctuations and such. Use your tape measure, the fit of your clothes, photos, etc.
  • P05T5CRIPT
    P05T5CRIPT Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    I've been lifting for nearly 3 months, still losing consistently, I've lost body fat and I wouldn't say I've gained muscle but I'm sure as hell a lot more toned and have some really nice definition in my arms and legs. I've lost a lot of inches, just stick with it and take regular pics!
  • Ninguneado73
    Options
    [/quote]
    HOWEVER mass wise ... Fat is fluffy and muscle is lean. I'm sure you get the gist of it.
    [/quote]

Exactly
  • wibutterflymagic
    wibutterflymagic Posts: 788 Member
    Options

xVyoSl.jpg

Quite uncalled for.

I will just reiterate what some of the other posters have said that while lifting you may not see the scale move as much or at all but your body will be changing and you will be losing inches because muscle takes up less space then fat. You will become leaner and thinner but your weight may not change much and that is ok. The scale # is not important, how you look when you look in the mirror is the important thing.
  • Mommybug2
    Mommybug2 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    What lifting weight WILL do for you, is ensure that you are much less likely to lose muscle, and ONLY lose fat, instead of losing both, which is what would likely happen if you ate at a deficit and didn't lift.

Ah - This made a light bulb go off! I have been doing both cardio and strength training since January 3rd. I am losing and had no worries that what I am doing is right for me but I keep reading on here that you can't gain muscle and lose weight at the same time and then reading that you should lift if you are trying to lose and I couldn't put two and two together. I kept thinking "then what is the point of lifting if I can't gain muscle?" This statement put it all in perspective - so glad I listened to my body and have kept up both :)
  • sashalarue
    sashalarue Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    but takes up less space
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    at some point won't I start not losing weight and may even gain weight because muscle weighs more than fat?
    If you're eating at a caloric deficit you don't have to worry about putting on weight. If you pig out too much and too often because you're hungry from working out then you might put on some weight. Work out and keep track of your intake.