Does anyone make their own chips?

Options
baileybiddles
baileybiddles Posts: 457 Member
Hi everyone!

I, like most of us, am a huge sucker for potato chips. However, we all know that even in small amounts, they're pretty terrible for us. I have heard of people making chips at home with their own ingredients and was wondering if anyone here has done that, and what they use. For example, do you use white potatoes, or blue, or red, etc? I've even heard of kale chips but I've never tasted kale.

Thanks for sharing in advance!

Replies

• KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    oh i love my chips,,,
    dam chips make me fat.
  • atamrowski
    atamrowski Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    easier buying the stuff. But I have heard of making their own kale chips? never tried them
  • weightloss12345678
    weightloss12345678 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I have heard ppl baking olive oil and kale to make kale chips
  • djc315
    djc315 Posts: 585 Member
    Options
    Slice any veggie really thin, then bake....they would be healthier than store bought (not fried, and also no additives). You can use any colored potato you want, or use any veggie you want. Carrots, squash, kale (just place kale on pan, add what you want to it, bake) or even fruits can be baked.

They are done when they are dried out. Low temp and slow cooking is the best, in my opinion.
  • EmmieBaby
    EmmieBaby Posts: 1,235 Member
    Options
    I make pita chips

take pita bread and cut it in 8 pieces (or whatever size you want)

mix oil (i use extra virgin olive oil) and mix in any spices you want (im a fan of paprika and cayenne)

glaze each slice

pop into the over at 400 for about 5min (depending on heat of oven maybe less)

and voila...chips!
  • rebeccab575
    rebeccab575 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I bought a microwavable chip maker, and to my surprise it worked great. It was a big hit at my office full of healthy eaters. 2 of my coworkers bought them online a few days later, and they love theirs. Cuts out the fat and oil, and the chips are super crispy. Add a bit of garlic salt and they're delish! You can use sweet potatoes or other root veggies too, and most come with a slicer/mandolin. I used standard Russet tators, but any kind would work. You can probably make the kale chips on this as well. I heard the sweet potato chips with a touch of seasoning are wonderful! Perfectly crispy!
    I'm not a big chip person, but when I'm craving salt/crunch, these hit the spot. Amazon sells the kit for about $10.
  • asdfre114
    Options
    I bought a tefal airfryer and make chips and crisps in that - potato or any root vegtable - couldnt live without it, best gadget ever...(apart from my slow cooker)
  • baileybiddles
    Options
    I bought a microwavable chip maker, and to my surprise it worked great. It was a big hit at my office full of healthy eaters. 2 of my coworkers bought them online a few days later, and they love theirs. Cuts out the fat and oil, and the chips are super crispy. Add a bit of garlic salt and they're delish! You can use sweet potatoes or other root veggies too, and most come with a slicer/mandolin.
    I'm not a big chip person, but when I'm craving salt/crunch, these hit the spot. Amazon sells the kit for about $10.

That's really my thing - I love the crunchiness of chips. It's incredibly satisfying. I have even heard of people using parsnips for chips, which I've never tasted. I love garlic salt, so thanks for the tips!
  • T1mH
    T1mH Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    Baked crispy Kale was pretty good. I'd do that again. Similar to the crunchy experience of chips.

I made chips from won ton wrappers but the calories were almost the same as real chips and they weren't as good so I don't know why I'd bother doing that again. The recipe claimed they were healthier for you but the ingredients on the wrapper were just as mysterious to me as chip ingredients.

I've been wanting to try squash fries but haven't gotten around to it.

Even home made potato chips are still high in carbs because your using potato.
  • baileybiddles
    Options
    I make pita chips

take pita bread and cut it in 8 pieces (or whatever size you want)

mix oil (i use extra virgin olive oil) and mix in any spices you want (im a fan of paprika and cayenne)

glaze each slice

pop into the over at 400 for about 5min (depending on heat of oven maybe less)

and voila...chips!
    [/quote

This sounds amazing! Thank you so much!
  • Koldnomore
    Koldnomore Posts: 1,613 Member
    Options
    easier buying the stuff. But I have heard of making their own kale chips? never tried them

It is definitely easier to buy them. That's kind of the point... when you make things from scratch you tend to want to make 'junk' a lot less because it is a pain in the butt.

I use whatever potatoes I have around. Slice them really thin, rinse/soak them in cold water until the water is clear to get rid of all the extra starch. Pat them dry, give them a couple of sprays of olive oil, toss them with some other seasonings..usually garlic and other spices (not salt) then I spread them out on a baking sheet covered with parchment paper and put them in the oven. cook them for about 10 minutes at a time then flip over and keep cooking / flipping until they reach the desired consistency - it takes a while!

If you have a dehydrator you can probably make veggie chips in there too - I've never tried it with vegetables, only fruit.

I do the pita chips too! I love those with some nice homemade hummus!, if you split the pitas you get twice as many chips and it feels like a lot more ;)
  • baileybiddles
    Options
    Baked crispy Kale was pretty good. I'd do that again. Similar to the crunchy experience of chips.

I made chips from won ton wrappers but the calories were almost the same as real chips and they weren't as good so I don't know why I'd bother doing that again. The recipe claimed they were healthier for you but the ingredients on the wrapper were just as mysterious to me as chip ingredients.

This is very true! How does Kale taste? I've never had it before, but I have heard that it makes excellent chips with a bit of salt and olive oil.
  • bodyrightdiva
    Options
    These sound very tasty!
  • NettyBird16
    NettyBird16 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I started making mine in the microwave on a glass plate. Make sure to mist a thin sliced potato with evoo and usually it takes about 7 minutes in the microwave. My kids love them! I even let them make them now. (Since I have bought a pampered chef chip maker so I can make twice as many at once)!
  • JeneticTraining
    JeneticTraining Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    I make kale and spinach chips. Delicious. Might try sweet potato soon
  • jennfranklin
    jennfranklin Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    speaking of kale chips.. i had a ziploc bag of them in my car, one day my husband drove my car to work. He asked me why I had a ziploc bag full of leaves in my car! They do kind of look like leaves, but are nummy! LOL
  • jennfranklin
    jennfranklin Posts: 434 Member
    Options

Butternut squash fries are really good!
  • joro0404
    joro0404 Posts: 20
    Options
    Depends upon what you mean by chips. In UK chips (are usually potatoes sliced roughly finger sized) and if made in the TEFAL ACTIFRY will only use 1tbs oil to 2lb/1 kg of potato chips. If you want what we call crisps in UK then the microwave chip maker already mentioned sounds good.
  • CrystalDreams
    CrystalDreams Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Go on.... healthy chip talk pleases me :bigsmile:
  • ripemango
    ripemango Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    there is a way to make them in the microwave v very lil oil...not like frying them at all
    google search potato chips in microwave

they also sell various types of Tupperware-like contraptions that i've seen on amazon so that you can fit in more potato slices at once.

i would also try baking some. we've done this before and thought they turned out really well. we cut the potatoes by hand tho--next time i would use a mandolin to get them really thin. we spritzed w olive oil, sprinkled w lil salt, pepper, smidgen of white sugar and roasted on high for just a couple mins then flipped them. (the sugar is a good lil trick to get oven fries crispy...i only use abt a tsp). These didn't taste exactly like potato chips to me...i thought they were much better. They seemed fancier.

i've seen paula deen make homemade potato chips in a big pot. i'm sure you could find it searching under her recipes on foodnetwork.com