The Shake Weight?

Options
Does anyone have one? If so tell me your thoughts on it? I am thinking about getting one for toneing my arms and was wondering how they work. I got on walmart.com to check out the reviews for it but so far there is only one review and it is a really good one, but I was still curious to see if anyone from here has tried it yet.

Replies

• stroutman81
    stroutman81 Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't waste your money. Toning is a function of losing fat while maintaining or even gaining muscle. You can't shake your arms to being toned.
  • Arynamber
    Arynamber Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Ive seen it on tv..maybe it works.. but it looks so funny. I dont think I could use it with out laughing. I think a better bet is just free weights
  • jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    The mens version commercial is soo funny!
  • beccasetsfire
    Options
    I wouldn't waste your money. Toning is a function of losing fat while maintaining or even gaining muscle. You can't shake your arms to being toned.

From what I understand the shake weight doesn't shake, you shake it thus it would tone somewhat. That being said it still seems like a silly thing and a waste of money...
  • gz960
    gz960 Posts: 7
    Options
    I thought I wanted one too...until I tried it. My niece bought one and within a few seconds I felt like an idiot shaking this thing and ended up laughing hysterically. My husband thought it had potential as the motion I was doing looked a little...ahem...suggestive. (Oops just realized I was posting under his login--yikes!) I'm glad I didn't waste the $$. Back to the good old free weights :smile:
  • GinaB30
    GinaB30 Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    I think it's only gotten so popular lately b/c Ellen D. makes fun of it on her show all the time lol
  • HealthyKt78
    HealthyKt78 Posts: 439
    Options
    I think it's only gotten so popular lately b/c Ellen D. makes fun of it on her show all the time lol

I never even heard of it until then. She's so funny.
  • GinaB30
    GinaB30 Posts: 725 Member
    Options

I never even heard of it until then. She's so funny.

LOL me either, I'd never heard of it until the other day when I was watching her show and she had put together a clip show of allllllll the times she's made fun of it...lol had me crackin up!
  • lucie_dobbins
    Options
    I have one... it makes a great door stop. hahah does that count as being useful?
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    Saturday Night Live made fun of it as well but on a sexual note. If you know the weight you'll understand what they were doing ;)

I picked one up (literally picked it up not bought) at an As Seen On TV store on vacation in Orlando and was shocked how light it was. It’s like 2 lbs which really wont make a difference. If shaking something tones (you'd probably have to shake something 100x more than doing simple resistance training to actually tone) then just shake a bottle of water, save $20 or $30 whatever it is.
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    Sounds dirty and I can just do the dirty thing and get my arms toned :)
  • MakeupbyMissVee
    Options
    Thanks for the input everyone. I think you have changed my mind about getting one. I do need something to tone my arms though. I am in a long journey of losing way over 100lbs and I need to start toneing so hopefully I can minimize the amount of loose skin I am going to have. Does anyone have any recommendations as to what I should get? I can't afford to spend alot of money on something.
  • Heather75
    Heather75 Posts: 3,386 Member
    Options
    I just watched the advertisement on their website. That thing is hilarious!
  • questionablemethods
    questionablemethods Posts: 2,174 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the input everyone. I think you have changed my mind about getting one. I do need something to tone my arms though. I am in a long journey of losing way over 100lbs and I need to start toneing so hopefully I can minimize the amount of loose skin I am going to have. Does anyone have any recommendations as to what I should get? I can't afford to spend alot of money on something.

There are a ton of good ol', tried-and-true exercises for working the muscles in your arms. You would be better off to get a set of elastic resistance bands or dumbbells and Google exercises for your biceps, triceps, shoulders, chest, etc. Even without spending anything, you can get a better workout than the shakeweight can give you just doing biceps curls with things you already have around the house (soup cans, gallons of milk, etc.) and doing triceps dips against a counter or on the floor.

I believe loose skin is a somewhat separate issue, from what I understand. You want to lose fat, maintain muscle and home that the skin has retained enough of its elasticity to "bounce back." Working with weights will help the overall aesthetics, but I don't think they can snap loose skin back into place.
  • naturebaby
    naturebaby Posts: 161
    Options
    OMG too funny you bad gurl!
  • 1QueenB
    1QueenB Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Save your money girl and use free weights, they have really worked for me. My biceps are looking so much tighter!!!
  • toots99
    toots99 Posts: 3,794 Member
    Options
    I read good things about it today in Self magazine.
  • spiralgirl71
    spiralgirl71 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I actually bought one of these. My theory was to put it by the couch and use it when I watch TV. That worked the first weekend. I agree, save your money.

The exercise DVD that comes with it shows a short routine. More than half the exercises are NOT shaking the weight. You could do the same buying a cheap set of dumbbells.

I'm sure that it works if used on a regular basis but there are more effective and less expensive options available.
  • dontpanic1984
    dontpanic1984 Posts: 82 Member
    Options

BWAAAHAHAH! I mean this in the most complimentary way possible.... if you can get your arms toned that way, then you are very busy, and have a very happy (or sore) workout partner.

You made me laugh out loud. I was studying for a calculus test, but this has lightened my mood. :laugh:
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options

BWAAAHAHAH! I mean this in the most complimentary way possible.... if you can get your arms toned that way, then you are very busy, and have a very happy (or sore) workout partner.

You made me laugh out loud. I was studying for a calculus test, but this has lightened my mood. :laugh:

haha I know, right? I showed him what I wrote last night and he just said "Hmmm."