flabby arms, flabby stomach

Options
I want to be realistic and need to know from any of you who have lost a lot of weight, and are close to my age if this stuff will go away..

I'm 50 and have been overweight for most of my life. I have lost 50 pounds since August and have at least 50 more to go. I've lost one more since joining you guys. I exercise and am losing the weight in a healthy way, (about 1-2 lbs or less a week). What I want to know is... Will I ever have strong muscular arms and a flatter stomach. I'm not crazy to think I'll have a six pack, but the loose stuff can make me a little self conscious. I really want to see definition in my upper arms. I can make a muscle, which I am very proud of, but even with my workouts the lower arms don't seem to be doing anything.

I've had 2 children and c-sections for both of them. With each I gained 50+ pounds.

I do weight lifting, toning, and cardio. I do about 70-80 minutes per day but skip Saturday and Sunday. I really want to show off my arms.

Replies

• ABARNHART
    ABARNHART Posts: 25
    Options
    I want to be realistic and need to know from any of you who have lost a lot of weight, and are close to my age if this stuff will go away..

I'm 50 and have been overweight for most of my life. I have lost 50 pounds since August and have at least 50 more to go. I've lost one more since joining you guys. I exercise and am losing the weight in a healthy way, (about 1-2 lbs or less a week). What I want to know is... Will I ever have strong muscular arms and a flatter stomach. I'm not crazy to think I'll have a six pack, but the loose stuff can make me a little self conscious. I really want to see definition in my upper arms. I can make a muscle, which I am very proud of, but even with my workouts the lower arms don't seem to be doing anything.

I've had 2 children and c-sections for both of them. With each I gained 50+ pounds.

I do weight lifting, toning, and cardio. I do about 70-80 minutes per day but skip Saturday and Sunday. I really want to show off my arms.
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    I asked this question yesterday, about my arms. The general concensus was that It will likely snap back (or mostly) for me over time because I am young, hence very elastic skin. Honestly, Some of yours will probably snap back especially on your arms but probably not all of it. And your tummy will be tougher, because it is from a pregnancy. There are surgical options for when you have finished losing weight if you choose to go that route. Essentially they remove all that extra skin. Keep doing what you're doing though! skin or no skin, the weight is coming off and that is a HUGE improvment for your health. good luck! :flowerforyou:
  • pmd14
    pmd14 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I can identify with you. 50 plus here also with flabby arms and stomach.
    Yesterday there was a thread about surgery will be our only full solution
    I think exercise will help but I'm sorry I think the only way our bodies will look "young" again is surgery
    There is always hope though
  • Fab140
    Fab140 Posts: 1,976 Member
    Options
    Honestly, it all depends on the elasticity of your skin. Do you have a lot of stretch marks from weight gain or are there just a few? This shows how elastic your skin really is. Also, waterwaterwaterwater! The more hydrated you are, the more hydrated your skin is, and the more likely it'll bounce back.

:flowerforyou:
  • bittersweet22
    bittersweet22 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    My mom was just telling me yesterday about this woman on tv, it was the Tv show the Joy fit club. She told that this woman was about 400+ pounds and she lost 200 something pounds. I made a comment about how she probably had to have surgery, she told me no, she didn't have any surgery at all. She said that the woman wanted to be on tv to let everyone know that all she did was cut back on her eating and she WALKED. Now she is a size 2! I think it can be done without surgery. Just keep up the good work!!!!

25627.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter