Resources for flexibility?

Options
I've been finding that I'm having a lot of trouble doing certain strength exercises or aerobic moves because I am super, super inflexbile. Forget not being able to touch my toes, I can't even get close. And I can barely bend at all to do supermans.

My question is, can you recommend any resources for improving flexibility for total beginners? I know that taking yoga classes is one option, but I'm looking for something I can do at home. Maybe a great DVD, a youtube video, or even an article detailing certain moves to work on?

Much appreciated! :)

Replies

• bradwwood
    bradwwood Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    I'm subscribed to this Youtube channel. I'm not doing any yoga at the moment though. They have a lot of beginner stuff.
    https://www.youtube.com/user/yogayak

I do however stretch every evening as a part of keeping my back, neck, and shoulder, loose and healthy (I've got a variety of problems and have had three back surgeries).

Here are the Google results for "basic stretching exercises"
    https://www.google.com/search?q=basic+stretching+exercises&aq=0&oq=basic+stretching+&aqs=chrome.1.57j0l3j62l2.6451&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Find something that addresses your problem areas, start out slow, and work your way through it. Don't expect overnight results, you need to work your way into it. Don't "bounce" to get more stretch. You want to try to go a little further each time, but you want to make sure not to go so far as to pull something. Breathing is also really important, so practicing general relaxation techniques is helpful as well.
  • NaomisGonnaWin
    NaomisGonnaWin Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Thank you, this is really helpful! I usually find myself "bouncing" so I'll defintiely try to check myself whenever I'm doing that.
    And I'll check out the Youtube channel when I get home today. Thanks again! :)
  • tk2222
    tk2222 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Thank you, this is really helpful! I usually find myself "bouncing" so I'll defintiely try to check myself whenever I'm doing that.
    And I'll check out the Youtube channel when I get home today. Thanks again! :)

Definitely don't bounce! (I used to do gymnastics and taekwando, and that was always a no.) Try to hold every stretch for a count of 10 or 15. Get to the point where it hurts some (ahhh, pain!) but not so much that you can't bear it for the count. Stretch when your body is hot (I usually do it right off cardio, doubling as a cool-down.) I have the same whole-body routine that i've had for years that takes me about 15 minutes to work through if i'm being serious, and I just go through it every time. I wouldn't try *just* hitting trouble spots. Like everything, flexibility is a compound business, and it's nice to see where you're making progress and where things are still a bit stuck, and loosening up in one place can give you a boost to another.
  • NaomisGonnaWin
    NaomisGonnaWin Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Stretch when your body is hot (I usually do it right off cardio, doubling as a cool-down.)

So if I'm doing a yoga routine as well, would you recommend that I start it off only once my body is hot?
  • mallen404
    mallen404 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    so your muscles are warmed up.. if they aren't you can pull them and cause injury.

I always warm up 5-10 minutes before stretching.
  • matt2442
    matt2442 Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    Go to a yoga class. if that isn't convenient go to doyogawithme.com..click beginner, and do a video with fiji. She's really good.
  • tk2222
    tk2222 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I've started yoga recently, and it's actually counter-intuitive to me there that we start cool. The heat comes gradually from breathing and a slow build up of stretches - thats for a 90 minute class though, that doesn't get into the hard stretches for a while. Doing stretches cold, otherwise, just doesn't work nearly as well, for me. If you can, yeah, it's definitely me experience that even five-ten minutes of running about or jumping jacks or whatever before a good stretching session makes a huge difference, both in terms of how far you can get and in terms of not having to jerk yourself about and possibly hurt yourself.
  • samcat2000
    samcat2000 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I don't have any at home stretching resources but I highly recommend Pilates Reformer classes. I've been doing Pilates for almost 5 years. I was extremely inflexible before starting Pilates. I started it because of a knee injury. I'm still shocked at how much more flexible I am now. I had some more recent injuries that forced me to take almost a year off of Pilates (and other workout regimens). I lost some flexibility during my time off, but was surprised that I'd maintained some of it. Pilates reformer can be pricey but there are some places that don't fleece you. My gym has an affordable Pilates studio that I use. Once you find a good instructor don't ever give it up.
  • kay_der
    kay_der Posts: 24
    Options
    Bump for later.
  • scott091501
    scott091501 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    Not a huge crossfit fan, but the mobility WOD website is awesome.

http://www.mobilitywod.com/
  • barrattandrew
    Options
    I can recommend Tom Kurtz Secrets of stretching. its a complete program designed to improve core strength and hip flexibility to the point that full splits is possible.
  • Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    Options
    I stretch with bands or cables. I find it easier than just using my own body weight/muscles