Suggestions: Water Additive/Sweetener

Options
86_Ohms
86_Ohms Posts: 253 Member
I drink a lot of water daily. A 64oz reusable jug is my daily container at work, and then whatever I use at the gym later in the evening.

I can't drink just water all day at work. Tried it; isn't going to happen. Pure water is reserved for workouts only.

So, besides crystal light lemonade, I wouldn't mind some suggestions on brands/flavors to use as an alternative. If you have suggestions on something with good flavor that isn't generally sold in large corporate stores, I'd be willing to special order it elseware (or PM me details if you have time).

Thanks in advance for the suggestions.

PS. I'm not here to debate thoughts on advantages/disadvantages of artificial sweeteners.

Replies

• helmsara
    helmsara Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I'm not a huge fan of plain water as well. Recently I've been letting my water sit overnight in the fridge with cucumber, lemon, and mint. It's not a lot of flavor, but it's so refreshing. I've really been enjoying it.
  • robotshorts
    Options
    Try making some green iced tea with no sugar. I was the biggest sugar/artificial sweetener junkie, and now as long as I have green tea throughout the day, I don't even miss it.
  • HotSouthernMess
    HotSouthernMess Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    i have been using dasani drops. they are one of the only brands that does not contain sodium which i like because drinking water with sodium in it seems to defeat the purpose. you can add a little or a lot depending on how strong you want it. I found it at walmart though...not sure if that is what you were trying to avoid when you said not found in corporate stores...
  • ohmynicoley
    ohmynicoley Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I normally just add lemon juice or mint to mine. It's subtle flavor but better than plain water.
  • antonette1989
    antonette1989 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I love the Propel mixes. They have berry, lemon, grape, black cherry and a few others I believe. They're 10 calories a pack, and I like them because they actually add a lot of flavor.
  • melbogg
    melbogg Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Fresh lemon / lime is my favorite in warm months.
    My MIL (who is a 20 year WW leader) turned me on to some sugar free apple cider single serve packets this winter. They are an awesome treat!
  • PeauxPeaux
    PeauxPeaux Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Because I do hot yoga so often, I sweat a LOT; I like to add electrolites to my big water cup. It is 40 ounces. I pour in 10 - 12 ounces of Vitamins Water Zero Lemonade, then fill up the cup. I can't drink realy sweet stuff, but this adds a nice refreshign tang to it.
  • Woomytron
    Woomytron Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I add fruit to mine. Berries, lemons, and limes. That is about it.
  • Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    Options
    I like boil water with something like rosemary and ginger then you can add like a lemon crystal light to it.

Walmart has a knock off brand of Miio or whatever it's called for a dollar less and there are ones with b vitamins and caffeine. The caffeine is so low in green tea I don't think the diuretic effects would dehydrate you. I'm thinking in the process of how long I want to fast and in the mean while I'm going to drink water with bouillon and some red pepper flakes. I'm sure you could even just use some sort of generic "beef" seasoning and boil that.
  • tejasmh87
    tejasmh87 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Mio water enhancer. Local walmart/grocer next to the crystal light and gatorade mixes.

Many many flavors, 0 calorie, no aspartame. No messy powders. Little goes a long away :)

Only way I drink 80-100oz a day :)

Favorites: Black Cherry (MioEnergy one), Fruit Punch, Sweet tea, Leomade, Cranberry - somethin' , and Blackberry Cherry.

:drinker:
  • 86_Ohms
    86_Ohms Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions thus far. Green tea sounds good but not sure if I'll have 50 pee breaks during the day after 64oz of it (5 min walk to the closest bathroom). The idea of adding berries and letting them sit in the fridge over night sounds tempting. Admission here: I'm a little lazy and like the individual packs of powder/liquid.

I'll add to my original post to state that I need a no/very low sugar alternative, even if the sugar comes from a fruit. Since I can't seem to edit the original, I'll still keep an open mind if no one scrolls down to see this comment.

Again, thanks for the ideas !
  • Shari325
    Shari325 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I like plan water, but I drink more if it has some flavor.
    My favorite are the True Lime packets. Also come in lemon and orange flavors.
    Recently, I simply float a slice of orange peel in my bottle. Yummy and refreshing.
  • wllwsmmr
    wllwsmmr Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    I'm not a huge fan of plain water as well. Recently I've been letting my water sit overnight in the fridge with cucumber, lemon, and mint. It's not a lot of flavor, but it's so refreshing. I've really been enjoying it.

This :)
  • hidensee
    hidensee Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Make any flavor fruit herbal tea, tazo wild sweet orange comes to mind, but they have some other great flavors. No caffeine no sugar great flavor not too much work as you can heat water in a pan throw in the tea bags stick it in the fridge overnight and take it in the morning.