The weekend's here!

Options
Hi everyone,

I am new to MFP but not to trying to eat better, move more, crazy diets, and gettin in my own way. I actually ate better, exercised regularly, and lost 2 lbs this week! Which takes my weight loss all the way up to -2 lbs!

So, I was looking for ideas and support - in my experience the weekend is where I let my diet and exercise (and motivation) suffer. There's not as much structure and it's easier for me to sit on the couch for most of the day. And I don't prepare as much good for me food because I am, well, lazy. Actually, if I think about it (which hurts, but I'll try) this point in my behavior pattern is where I promptly give up in celebration of a loss. And gain 4 lbs, maybe even 6 before trying again. Genius, right?

I know, I know "just pretend it's not the weekend and get up at 6am like it's a weekday, eat a 'weekday' breakfast, etc" but that is so much easier said than done. Any thoughts?

(Edit: Also, if I shoulda posted this somewhere else, lemme know)

Replies

• TimeForMe99
    TimeForMe99 Posts: 309
    Options
    There's a thread from earlier today, so if you don't get many responses don't take it personally.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/933674-weekends?page=1#posts-14197835

It's Spring!! Get out and move - clean up the yard, go for a walk, etc. And plan ahead for dinners out. Whatever you do don't get up at 6am. That's just crazy talk!
  • Mouse_Potato
    Mouse_Potato Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    I know a lot of people seem to have this problem, but I honestly don't understand it. I spend all week at a desk, dreaming of the snack machine, counting the minutes to my next meal. Come Saturday morning I am up and moving! I have a filling breakfast and then I'm off walking, jogging, horseback riding, running errands, doing a workout DVD. It's my time and I have the option to be active. During the week I frequently end up working out very late at night or not at all. On the weekends I tend to double up because I can. As a result, I have plenty of extra calories and actually less appetite.

Perhaps you could try getting involved in an activity that keeps you moving...? Join a hiking club or take up bicycling. Take a dance class! Do something social so it doesn't feel so much like work. Last Sunday I burned over 1200 calories doing things I love, none of which were done just for the sake of exercise.
  • teksurv
    teksurv Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I also struggle with calorie intake over the weekend. Honestly, I usually go over my calorie goal (1760) by 1000-1500 on Saturday and Sunday. What I do is then is increase my deficit by ~350 calories Monday and Tuesday leading up to my weigh in day Wednesday. I average 1.5 pounds lost each week. Weighing in on Wednesday in the morning is critical for me. All the sodium from the weekend leads to water retention that takes a couple of days to shed. Good luck!
  • ehaus443
    ehaus443 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I should clearly have read around more before posting :)

About a year ago I used to do a Zumba class every Saturday @ 10am and that was great about getting me up and out but then I ended up having a regular conflict and stopped going. Maybe I'll try to go back this weekend - it'd be nice to see some of those folks again - if they can recognize me underneath all the poundage, hah!