Clean eating vs 'Normal' eating?

Options
124»

Replies

• JAT74
    JAT74 Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    Wow that sounds amazing, I suppose anyone who changed their diet so drastically would experience this kind of thing. Good for you for doing it. Do you think you'll keep it up when the 3 months are finished?

Personally I'm not at all religious and I don't think eating unhealthy foods is a terrible thing but I think that for those of us who react badly to doing it and find it in some way addictive it's great to clean up your diet in this way, especially if there are health benefits from that.

I know that in the past when I've stopped eating carbs like bread, pasta and rice or gone on a juice fast I've felt somehow lighter and like my insides have been cleaned out and I haven't felt clogged up and bloated like you sometimes do with refined carbs. I think I'll try eating a lot more healthily for at least a month in April in order to clean out my system and try and eliminate some toxins. I feel like my skin isn't great at the moment and I know that by eating a lot more good foods that can improve a huge amount.
  • krypt5
    krypt5 Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    Dear OP, please watch this video.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G6H2edyPLU8
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    People get all confused on the clean eating thing.

Eat as healthy as you can, get most of your calories from lean proteins, fruits, veggies,healthy fats, etc., but you can still indulge on the foods that you like just in moderation and not necessarily every day.

It isn't "all or nothing" - even fitness competitors admit the strict diets they have to do 8-10 weeks before a show are awful, and as soon as the show is over they take a diet break. Nobody can keep it up forever and you don't have to in order to be in great shape.

I live by the 80/20 rule - 80% of my foods are healthy, homemade, unprocessed foods, and the other 20% are whatever I feel like having. It averages out just fine...I have never been in better shape and I continue to progress in my fitness.
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    NewLIFEstyle4ME Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    Wow that sounds amazing, I suppose anyone who changed their diet so drastically would experience this kind of thing. Good for you for doing it. Do you think you'll keep it up when the 3 months are finished?

Personally I'm not at all religious and I don't think eating unhealthy foods is a terrible thing but I think that for those of us who react badly to doing it and find it in some way addictive it's great to clean up your diet in this way, especially if there are health benefits from that.

I know that in the past when I've stopped eating carbs like bread, pasta and rice or gone on a juice fast I've felt somehow lighter and like my insides have been cleaned out and I haven't felt clogged up and bloated like you sometimes do with refined carbs. I think I'll try eating a lot more healthily for at least a month in April in order to clean out my system and try and eliminate some toxins. I feel like my skin isn't great at the moment and I know that by eating a lot more good foods that can improve a huge amount.

Ya know, I can't say 100% for sure that I'll continue eating/drinking/living this way after the 90 days...but I'll say it's a 99.995% chance that I will continue to eat like this for the rest of my life, because I love it!

Ya know, I honestly believe that there is nothing "unclean" in foods/drinks really--that folk can and should eat whatsoever they feel led to eat. I do not judge them at all (how could I, I've eaten the S.A.D./Standard American Diet for the past 30-40 years)...before that time, fast foods and they way we Westerners eat, wasn't like that at all. 40+ years ago, folk ate fast foods every so often--pretty rarely actually and ate at home more often than not (at least it was like that around my house and how I grew up--back in the "day" processed foods, fast foods and junky foods were super expensive and considered extravagant and to indulged in only on special occasions--NOT regularly at all) and the processed foods of today were just getting popular (at least in my neck of the woods anyway in the 1980's or so). So I'm eating so-called "clean" because I'm judging myself... not others. I'm an older woman, and the things I used to consume en-masse (coffee, soda pops, fast foods, junk foods, highly sugary processed foods--junky foods), just isn't for me anymore. I like what the bible says about eating and things...if something is a "sin" or wrong for you--and you do it...for YOU it's a sin. So, I hate labels and following the crowds, going along with the majority of what's right and good and bad and for me--meats, most seafoods (other than small farm/humanely raised vegan fed--and wild and pole and troll caught seafoods ONLY when my body calls for it), dairy, junk foods and the S.A.D. (Standard American Diet) isn't good for/to me personally...not good for me physically, mentally, financially, emotionally nor most important for my spiritual health--but that's me--NOT SPEAKING FOR ANYONE ELSE--how could I--just because it works for me? No Ma'am. I'm just foolish enough to believe that when it comes to lifestyles and beliefs and eating and drinking and even losing weight--it is NOT one size fits all. For me, Just because something works and/or is working for some/others, even the majority it does not equal success and happiness for others--especially for me. Ya know, the ole one person's trash is another person's treasure--I'm old school and believe like that.

I like what you said about "addictive" nature of eating "normal" as they say, that's one of my main priorities in eating and living this way. I don't like people, places or things/foods to "control" me. I don't like feeling like if I don't have this coffee, beef, pork,dairy, the S.A.D. diet, soda, juice, even organic stuff...I can't function properly. I'm just one of those "weak-minded" old timers that believe that there is a God, and I'm not Him and I choose to by foolish ole blind faith Seek His Face and daily direction on how to eat and live--this takes not only faith, but to humble myself, pray, seek His Face and turn from my wicked ways. It's foolish/crazy and a major waste of time and energy to the majority of folks in and of the world--but for me...it's how I'm not only thriving but surviving, like my eating...it's a personal choice--certainly not for everyone and that's okay too :drinker: :heart: :drinker:

My skin is glowing and looking better and better each day. Thank you for this topic!

ETA: I don't really "buy into" cleaning out toxins and things either--I'm not for it nor against it, my motives are to humble myself and Seek God's Face--looking for Him to clean out my "spirit", renew my mind and give me a new body and no foods/drinks or pills and herbs can do that--only humbling myself, praying, Seeking God's Face (a.k.a. look to and be Led of His Holy Spirit in what I should eat, and drink and how to live and think) and turning from my wicked way and following His Led. I believe eating and drinking this way I am indeed following His Led. Could I be wrong? Yep!?! I'm wrong far more often then I right, but that's what my "Faith" in God is all about--trusting what He wants me to do, instead of leaning to "my own" understanding a way--for some, this is crazy--for other's crazy like a fox:wink:
  • chooselove
    chooselove Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    If you want to feel your best, you can't eat processed CRAP.

Sure, you may lose weight, inches, whatever. But you're not living at your best potential.

If you really can't live without white rice..Wow. Sounds like an addict to me.

What's the point of trying if you're not going to go 100%?
  • newloafofbread
    newloafofbread Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I don't think either one really matters more than the other for actually shedding pounds. Being healthy is another thing, though.

The biggest thing I think is that you're just going to be more full if you eat "clean". Before I joined MFP I would eat a lot of pizza and mcdonalds and spaghettios and Kraft boxed mac and cheese and I just felt like crap. I'm still eating a lot of garbage but trying to get away from that because I can definitely attest that a 100 calorie chicken breast is more filling than one of those 100 calorie snack packs. Plus I have stomach problems that I've lived with my entire life, and I noticed when I eat "clean" they COMPLETELY go away. It's really amazing. But I have to be super strict or they come right back, so I don't always make it.

I think you should just do whatever you think you can sustain. Some days I just can't cook. I hate cooking, have two jobs, and it just doesn't happen. I don't beat myself up over it.
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    NewLIFEstyle4ME Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    I don't think either one really matters more than the other for actually shedding pounds. Being healthy is another thing, though.

The biggest thing I think is that you're just going to be more full if you eat "clean". Before I joined MFP I would eat a lot of pizza and mcdonalds and spaghettios and Kraft boxed mac and cheese and I just felt like crap. I'm still eating a lot of garbage but trying to get away from that because I can definitely attest that a 100 calorie chicken breast is more filling than one of those 100 calorie snack packs. Plus I have stomach problems that I've lived with my entire life, and I noticed when I eat "clean" they COMPLETELY go away. It's really amazing. But I have to be super strict or they come right back, so I don't always make it.

I think you should just do whatever you think you can sustain. Some days I just can't cook. I hate cooking, have two jobs, and it just doesn't happen. I don't beat myself up over it.

:heart: :drinker: :heart:
  • krissy_krossy
    krissy_krossy Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    I eat what I want in moderation. Fast food, veggies, ice cream, fruits, white bread, candy, meat, etc. If I cut out the junk food I enjoy, I'd surely fail. It hasn't hindered my weight loss. Oh, and yes I am healthy. My cholesterol has gone from almost 230 back to normal, my heart scan and stress test were perfect, my liver and kidney function is much better, and my energy level is fine. It's about moderation. 1/2 cup of light ice cream after a meal of chicken, veggies, and rice is fine for me.
  • charismanoodles
    charismanoodles Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    I try to aim 80/20 'clean' most of the time with the occasional blow out.