Calories burned in a day question

Options
While wanting to use the TDEE formula, I am wondering if i am more active than I think. Would wearing a HRM for 24 hrs work to figure out calories burned in 24 or not? I don't know if the HRM would keep tally for that long or if it would even be accurate. Thanks!

Replies

• tigerlily8045
    tigerlily8045 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Anyone?
  • OddChoices
    OddChoices Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    While wanting to use the TDEE formula, I am wondering if i am more active than I think. Would wearing a HRM for 24 hrs work to figure out calories burned in 24 or not? I don't know if the HRM would keep tally for that long or if it would even be accurate. Thanks!

You should look in to getting a fitbit, bodymedia or bodybugg. They are designed for all day and night calories burn counting. HRM will not be quite as accurate.
  • laserturkey
    laserturkey Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    I don't think it would be accurate for that. HRMs are designed to estimate calories burned when your heart rate is in the cardio zone, and become less accurate outside of that range.
  • alikat2986
    alikat2986 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    There is an HRM called a Fitbit that is meant to be worn all day to track your calories burned, you also wear it while you sleep and it tracks sleep patterns to better help you figure out your TDEE. They're expensive but I've read really good things. :)
  • liz3marie
    liz3marie Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    sorry dont have much of an answer but i know when i started wearing my EASYFIT, i realized im alot more active then id thought. Of course it works differently then a HRM. It tracks my movements. Why not give it a try?
  • pandabratt1
    pandabratt1 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    It couldn't hurt to see what the HRM comes up with. Keep in mind that if you wear it for 24 hours it could slip or stop tracking at any point during the day, so the best thing to do was take 3 full days of 24 hours I would think and average them out to get an idea of where you really are burning. That way, at least you would know that any slips were slightly accounted for.

I would be interested to hear others' input as well!
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    No it does not. You will get an overinflated burn.
    HRMs estimate calories based on a relationship with VO2 max during steady state cardio activity. It is not accurate for low intensity exercise.

Edited to add the link to Azdaks blog which has some great info.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Azdak?month=201003
  • TJtastic
    TJtastic Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    While I don't know the answer to your question, I thought I would offer this link that someone posted the other day.

It too though, is a guestimate. :ohwell:

http://www.health-calc.com/diet/energy-expenditure-advanced
  • SIMA80
    SIMA80 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Bodybug would be your best bet to get that into
  • TheStephil
    TheStephil Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    I use my fitbit for all day tracking. It seems pretty accurate.
  • RunningRichelle
    RunningRichelle Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I bought a BodyMedia armband for like $150, which is about the price of a good HRM, and it tells me how many calories I burn every day, down to each minute! I stinkin love it! That's my advice, if you have the money.

If not, my best advice would be to look at multiple different calculators and go somewhere in the middle. Almost every calculator I used told me I burned like 1500, and my armband tells me I burn 2100-2800.

Hope this helps!

*Edit- wanted to add that my weight has been coming down like clockwork since I bought the BodyMedia. Except when I don't hit my deficit, of course :-)
  • mallen404
    mallen404 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    set it at the low setting and calculate your TDEE.

do the 10-20 % less .. just make sure you are eating above your BMR. mine is 1507

I am 150lbs, 5 foot 7, TDEE is 2000 on the low setting, 2323 on my exercise setting ( I evercise 3-5 times per week)

So I eat 1600-1800 calories a day to lose.
  • thisisme13
    thisisme13 Posts: 150
    Options

A HRM is not designed for all day wear. It is only designed to be used during exercise when you have an elevated HR. They are not accurate for calorie burns when your HR is not elevated.

I would suggest checking your numbers from various sites and than take an average. It's all just an estimate just as HRM are. HRM are not 100% accurate all the time.
  • LisaGirlfriend
    LisaGirlfriend Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    I own a Fitbit ($100) and I own a Polar HRM. One day I did a test, and wore my HRM all day (well from 7am on). The Fitbit told me I had burned 450ish calories between midnight and 7am when I got up, so I added that number to the HRM number at the end of the day before bed at midnight… guess what? The HRM was only 50 calories higher than the Fitbit!! The Fitbit does not take into account certain exercises, such as downhill skiing, so last Saturday I did the test again, only I went downhill skiing for 8 hours! HRM gave me 2800 TDEE for the day; Fitbit gave me 2100 TDEE (which is around average for me daily). I don’t believe the HRM is overinflated… however, I would definitely recommend the Fitbit to anyone in a second. It’s awesome!
  • iiijeniii
    iiijeniii Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    There is an HRM called a Fitbit that is meant to be worn all day to track your calories burned, you also wear it while you sleep and it tracks sleep patterns to better help you figure out your TDEE. They're expensive but I've read really good things. :)

I love my Fitbit but ... It is NOT a heart rate monitor. I wish it had that capability!
  • LisaGirlfriend
    LisaGirlfriend Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    and the Fitbit TDEE daily burn was pretty accurate with the online calculators too!