GM diet

Options
jmzz1
jmzz1 Posts: 670 Member
Wanted to ask if any one tried this diet?..... There are people who are losing 5-10lbs weight only through this diet..... is it effective for long run?.......

Replies

• TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    You mean this?

http://www.iimahd.ernet.in/~jajoo/gmdiet.html

**** no. You're basically starving yourself (jack for proper nutrients) the first few days.
  • jmzz1
    jmzz1 Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    You mean this?

http://www.iimahd.ernet.in/~jajoo/gmdiet.html

**** no. You're basically starving yourself (jack for proper nutrients) the first few days.
    Not able to open this site through my phone. ....
    The diet which I am referring to is one day complete fruit, next dsy complete vegetsble and so on....
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Wanted to ask if any one tried this diet?..... There are people who are losing 5-10lbs weight only through this diet..... is it effective for long run?.......

It's really stupid, it's unsustainable, it's unsatisfying, and results will be poor.

Oh, and the entire premise is 100% false. There was no such "diet" for General Motors employees. The last thing an automobile manufacturer wants is malnourished, tired, weak employees.
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    I don't know what that is, but from your brief description, it doesn't sound good at all....
  • TriShamelessly
    TriShamelessly Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    From Livestrong.com.... MOST IMPORTANTLY, PLEASE READ THE LAST PARAGRAPH

If you've been searching on the Internet for a short weight loss diet, you might have come across the GM Diet, allegedly created by General Motors for its employees. It's a rather unusual, and restrictive, eating plan that promises to help you lose 10 to 17 pounds in a week.

The Name
    The GM Diet is just one name for this plan, and even that isn't accurate. Roger Cohen, a New York Times columnist, investigated when he was considering the diet. He saw claims that the diet was developed in the mid-1980s with a grant from the U.S. government and was tested at Johns Hopkins. However, no one at General Motors could find any references to it, and concluded it was an urban myth. Diet.com backs up this suspicion, noting that other names of the diet include the TWA Stewardess Diet, the Mayo Clinic Diet and the Sacred Heart Hospital Diet. The latter two organizations both disavowed any connection with the diet. The American Dietetic Association calls it a fad diet and says it dates back to 1950.

Each Day's Meals
    The GM Diet is a seven-day diet. Day 1 calls for all the fruit you want, but no bananas. It urges you to eat cantaloupe and watermelon in particular. The second day is for vegetables, but no starchy vegetables, such as corn, peas or beans. The exception is one baked potato with butter for dinner. Day 3 is designated for unlimited fruits and vegetables, but bananas and starchy vegetables are still excluded, and you can't have a potato. The fourth day will allegedly ease any cravings you're having for sweets: three to eight bananas and as much skim milk as you want. Day 5 allows up to 20 oz. of beef and as many as six tomatoes. On Day 6 you can have unlimited amounts of beef and nonstarchy vegetables. The last day is for brown rice, nonstarchy vegetables and unsweetened fruit juice.

The Namesake
    The most accurate name of the diet is the Cabbage Soup Diet: You can have this soup any time during the week and are required to eat it at least once on days 6 and 7. The standard recipe, according to Diet.com, includes green onion, green peppers, diced tomatoes, celery, onion soup mix, bouillon cubes and cabbage. Optional ingredients include V8 juice, parsley, Worcestershire sauce and black pepper.

Other Requirements
    While you're on the diet, you can drink water, black coffee, cranberry juice or unsweetened tea. You can't have any carbonated beverages, not even diet ones, or alcohol. You should drink at least four glasses of water every day, and don't follow it for longer than seven days.

Evaluation
    The diet may be effective -- Cohen said he lost 11 pounds by following it -- but is not necessarily advised. Providence Health & Services, affiliated with the Sacred Heart hospital that supposedly gave the diet one of its names, warns that it is nutritionally insufficient and will not lead to long-term weight loss. Flatulence is listed as a main side effect, but others are more serious: dizziness and light-headedness. People watching their salt intake should be careful, as the soup recipe is high in sodium, and type 2 diabetics should avoid the diet. Anyone attempting it should be aware that most of the weight loss is water, and once you return to normal eating habits, you will gain it back. As always, check with your doctor to make sure the diet won't do more harm than good.

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/300774-what-is-the-gm-diet/#ixzz2OIXmcAdI
  • dbaxley22
    dbaxley22 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    If you are looking at it as a reset and only 1 week, then it works well. It is definitely not a sustainable or healthy diet. I did it for a week and I lost 7lbs. I wasnt craving sweets after the week and I was eating much smaller portions, however, that only lasted for about 2 weeks, along with the -7lbs.
  • dolansarkar
    Options
    Well I very upset .I usually follow GM diet whenever I have to loose loads of weight. I have lost up to 16 kgs following GM Diet for 5 weeks with 3days normal diet gap between each week. This time again, I have to loose another 15 kgs. I started following GM diet for a week and on the 8th day I lost 4.2 kgs after this I took a gap of 5days ...I found I have gained 2kg I don't know how ...I pacified myself and accepted the weight and again started GM diet very strictly without the one spoon of oil which is allowed and 15 glasses of water daily but sadly I could manage to loose only 2.3 kg on the 2nd week on the 8 th day I are normal diet and on the 9th day I weighed it was 1 kg added ..I am so upset....why is this happening ? I feel like crying I follow GM diet very strictly and eat little
    also ...and my metabolism reacts well in GM diet then why this decrease of weight loss and drastic increase of weight gain on the cheat days?
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    The GM diet is a myth / fabrication isn't it ?
  • dolansarkar
    Options
    No dear it's a genuine diet plan ..I have tried it quite a few number of time and always succeeded loosing loads...but don't know what's wrong this time may be due to PMS or something else can't figure it out ...but there are quite a few flaws of GM diet firstly,irregular bowel movement during the diet days, 2ndly tendency of constipation, thirdly most important the weight can come back if you over eat or don't maintain it with exercise and controlled fooding ..The truth is General Motor diet is a miracle diet if your metabolism accepts it.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    The GM diet is a myth / fabrication isn't it ?

It's a real fad diet with no linkage at all to General Motors or any of the other companies it's been associated with in the past.
  • brianpperkins
    Options
    No dear it's a genuine diet plan ..I have tried it quite a few number of time and always succeeded loosing loads...but don't know what's wrong this time may be due to PMS or something else can't figure it out ...but there are quite a few flaws of GM diet firstly,irregular bowel movement during the diet days, 2ndly tendency of constipation, thirdly most important the weight can come back if you over eat or don't maintain it with exercise and controlled fooding ..The truth is General Motor diet is a miracle diet if your metabolism accepts it.

If it was a "genuine diet plan" it would be sustainable and the weight would stay off once returning to normal eating. As your experiences show ... neither is the case.
  • dolansarkar
    Options
    Well the history of the name used as "General Motors diet" is, decades& decades before this diet was prescribed to the employees of General Motors company to stay fit and healthy and to have a balanced weight score since then this diet is Known as General Motors diet ...you can google and get the exact detail....this General Motor diet is actually a detox diet ...and a crash diet...it's not that you gain the lost weight if you limit you calorie intake to 1500 to 2000 per day..just don't overheat and avoid junk foods that's all it takes to maintain the lost weight....Pesonally speaking I eat loads of junk and oily food that's the reason I gain back...GM diet is a very strict and boring diet people usually give up on the 3rd day...try it if you want to detox...
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    No diet that doesn't address daily habits and long-term lifestyle change is effective for the long run.
  • BuckeyeBabe10
    BuckeyeBabe10 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I tried it once over a year ago...I couldn't get through it...I'm usually rushing around for work and back-and-forth on my feet and sitting, and I was literally weak in the knees one day going into work (seriously, I felt like my knees would buckle and that they all of sudden lacked strength). Felt that way for most of the day. It was most likely a side effect specific to me and my body detoxing from the junk I ate, but I didn't think it was healthy or worth it if I couldn't physically function throughout the day.

I'd recommend trying a more cleaner version of eating - cutting down on heavily processed foods and getting in more whole, raw fruits and veggies. But it's ultimately up to you. That's just my two cents worth since you'd asked. :) Good luck with whatever you decide.
  • Wetcoaster
    Wetcoaster Posts: 1,788 Member
    Options
    Well the history of the name used as "General Motors diet" is, decades& decades before this diet was prescribed to the employees of General Motors company to stay fit and healthy and to have a balanced weight score since then this diet is Known as General Motors diet ...you can google and get the exact detail....this General Motor diet is actually a detox diet ...and a crash diet...it's not that you gain the lost weight if you limit you calorie intake to 1500 to 2000 per day..just don't overheat and avoid junk foods that's all it takes to maintain the lost weight....Pesonally speaking I eat loads of junk and oily food that's the reason I gain back...GM diet is a very strict and boring diet people usually give up on the 3rd day...try it if you want to detox...

What a bunch of baloney.

6. GM Diet

Diet Aliases:The General Motors Diet, The GM Diet, General Motors Weight Loss Program, GM Weight Loss Program

The GM Diet, or General Motors Diet, is another fad diet that’s been making it’s rounds for a couple of decades.

The diet claims that it was developed by General Motors in conjunction with the USDA and Johns Hopkins to help GM employees lose weight and get in better shape.

The GM Diet has all the hallmarks of an Internet fad diet and good urban legend.

It appeals to authority by using the name of a major corporation or company, references a prestiguous hospital, provides a sense of “exclusivity” in the form of language that says it’s intended exclusively for the “employees and dependents of General Motors” and makes wildly unrealistic claims about how much weight you can lose in a short duration of time.

When you read first read the General Motors diet (and there are multiple variations of this diet available online), you can’t help but initially think it is legit:

The following diet and health program was developed for employees and dependents of General Motors, Inc. and is intended for their exclusive use. This program was developed in conjunction with a grant from U.S. Department of Agriculture and the Food and Drug Administration. It was field tested at the Johns Hopkins Research Centre and was approved for distribution by the Board of Directors, General Motors Corp. at a general meeting on August 15, 1985. General Motors Corp. wholly endorses this program and is making it available to all employees and families. This program will be available at all General Motors Food Service Facilities. It is management’s intention to facilitate a wellness and fitness program for everyone.

But once you read on, the plan starts to sound like every other dumb fat diet out there. It promises you’ll lose between 10-17 lbs per week by eating “foods that burn more calories than they contain” and through detoxification.

I live in Metro-Detroit, one of the fattest cities in the country and home to General Motors, and I can assure you that GM has never put it’s employees on any kind of diet that caused them to lose weight. If anything, spending hours at your desk trying to figure out how to help your company avoid Chapter 11 bankruptcy requires regular runs to Pizza Hut and Quiznos.

So when I read that the GM Diet was created by General Motors to help it’s employees lose weight, that didn’t sound like the General Motors I know.

Turns out I was right, because when you dig into the details of the diet, it suddenly sounds a lot like our old friend The Cabbage Soup Diet. In fact, the GM Diet is the Cabbage Soup Diet!

The eating plan is almost identical. The only difference is soup you slurp down all day long as mysteriously morphed into something called “ The GM Wonder Soup.”

So this fad diet may have a different name, but it still has all of the dumb characteristics of The Cabbage Soup Diet and nearly everyon other fad diet on this list.

Trying this diet will probably make you as miserable as all of those poor General Motors office workers having to put up with the thermostat being turned down in the buildings to keep the company from going belly up.
  • Wetcoaster
    Wetcoaster Posts: 1,788 Member
    Options
    A. The General Motors (GM) Diet is one of the many unscientific, impractical and restrictive fad diets currently available. I would not recommend the GM Diet for you or anyone else, mainly because:

1. It’s based on pseudo science: The science behind this diet and its so called `great' weight loss results, does not adhere to any valid scientific methodology, lack supporting evidence and also lack approval and endorsement of recognized health bodies across the world.

2. Its highly impractical: For instance, the diet suggests that one eat only fruits the first day. Can any working professional or college going student pull this off? Even if they do manage to eat only fruits the entire day, they will see its side effects before the day is over in form of indigestion and possible loose bowels (due to the high fiber content of fruits), impaired concentration, hunger pangs and more. Can they get any work or studies done in this situation?

3. Its unhealthy for all and dangerous for those with medical problems: This diet is unhealthy for an obese person with no other medical problems and can turn out to be dangerous for those who suffer from obesity with co-morbidities (other accompanying diseases). An overweight/obese person who tries the GM diet will not only deprive his body of the right proportion of macronutrients like carbohydrate, protein and fat; but also lose out on essential vitamins and minerals. The deficiency disorders which will develop as a result of this will only add to his existing concern i.e. he will end up with one more health problem in addition to his concern of obesity.

The GM diet doesn’t consider the medical history of the person who plans on following the diet and this is a major demerit. If anyone has any health condition (known or unknown) it will only get aggravated by following this diet.

Example 1: A diabetic wanting to lose weight, on following Day 1 of the GM diet which includes consumption of only fruits the whole day, is sure to spike his blood sugar levels to an uncontrollable degree and land himself into a serious health emergency.

Example 2: An obese person who is suffering from gout will cause his symptoms to flare up if he were to follow this diet, what with its `suggestion' to eat beef and all types of vegetables without taking into account the purine content of these foods. There more such examples

It doesn’t teach you right from wrong: The GM diet and similar fad diets fail to teach anyone the principles of eating correctly, as they propagate only hocus pocus or information which is best trashed. They never leave you equipped with good nutrition knowledge for life.

It is monotonous and boring, like all other fad diets and this affect your levels of motivation and happiness.

5. The results are not permanent: If you do manage to successfully follow a GM diet, think about this-How long do you plan on following it? It can’t be for the rest of your life, right? One day you will stop and go back to eating the way you used to (as this diet never taught you how to eat right) and all the weight you lost (if you did lose some) will definitely find its way back to you. Please understand that your current weight of 97 kilos didn’t happen overnight or even within a month. It probably took you about a year to reach your current weight. So keeping this in mind, don’t you think you need to give yourself time to lose weight slowly and steadily, rather than opting for a fad diet under the lure of `fast' weight loss. After all, your body took time to reach its current weight, so expecting it to shed all the weight in a shorter time is not fair on it or on yourself. Keeping all the above in mind, please stay away from fad diets like GM Diet, Blood Group Type Diet, Maple Syrup Diet, Baby Food Diet, Atkins Diet and others. Finally, I would thus advise you to consult a qualified dietician for your weight management concerns.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    I follow the CICO diet.
  • brianpperkins
    Options
    Well the history of the name used as "General Motors diet" decades& decades before this diet was prescribed to the employees of General Motors company to stay fit and healthy and to have a balanced weight score since then this diet is Known as General Motors diet ...you can google and get the exact detail....this General Motor diet is actually a detox diet ...and a crash diet...it's not that you gain the lost weight if you limit you calorie intake to 1500 to 2000 per day..just don't overheat and avoid junk foods that's all it takes to maintain the lost weight....Pesonally speaking I eat loads of junk and oily food that's the reason I gain back...

Except for the fact that IT WAS NEVER PRESCRIBED TO GM EMPLOYEES! Point two is that THE BODY SELF DETOXES, YOU DO NOT NEED A SPECIAL DIET FOR IT!
  • dolansarkar
    Options
    It's absolutely personal choice you opt for it or not ...but I find it the easiest way to loose weight within months so I opted for it ....that's all I can say ...
  • bcanderson123456
    bcanderson123456 Posts: 45 Member
    Options

Well you have probably missed the point of weight loss. It is to create a permanent healthier you. Obviously this "diet" doesn't do anything to show you how easy it is to lose weight and eat right at the same time. Maybe you should read some facts on all this at http://www.ahl4u.com