Soup or Not to Soup??

Options
sgcadola
sgcadola Posts: 35 Member
Me personally I love soup. Chicken Noodle, Tomato Basil, Chicken and Dumplings, etc.. However I have found it extremely hard to find a soup that is low in sodium.. I just tried the Progressive Light (because I saw it on Biggest Loser and thought what the hell) only to find out it's got 1,380mg!! Since I'm only 5'2'' I try to stick to a low sodium diet because I will retain a lot of water bloat. Any ideas or recipes they want to share??!!

-Stephanie

Replies

• meredith1123
    meredith1123 Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    Progressive has a low sodium soup also..

but regardless they have to preserve it some how!!
  • MonicaT1972
    MonicaT1972 Posts: 512
    Options
    Why don't you make your own using organic sodium and fat free broth as a base. Chop in your fave veggies, add some form or protein you desire and simmer on the stove or in a crockpot and voila....you have your own totally sodium controlled fat freish soup!!!
  • staceycanada
    Options
    Soups are really easy to make yourself.
    Make large batches and freeze it in smaller containers.

Really even if you work you can throw everything in a crock pot and let it cook while your at work.

Making large batches once a week you will soon have several meals ready to go.
  • sundancer1966
    sundancer1966 Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    I found that most of the commercial soups are too high in sodium for me, I started to make my own. I am a soup junkie, I have soup with lunch and dinner.

Soup is easy to make, and fun to be creative with.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    YEP!
    YUM!
    butternut squash is best.
  • NovemberJune
    NovemberJune Posts: 2,525 Member
    Options
    Yup I make soup with homemade broth or the low sodium broth in the organic section at Kroger :wink:
  • baja572
    baja572 Posts: 94
    Options
    to make tomato basil use tomato sauce no salt added and basil....you can add onion powered or any herb you like. this is very low in sodium...you can find this in small cans...:flowerforyou:
  • AmazingTech
    Options
    max it yourself and use low salt stock cubes, there is a really nice one in the greedy girls cookbook that is carrot and butternut squash that is mega yummy and low calorie and a can be quite nice and spicy if you chuck some chillies in
  • staceycanada
    Options
    Check pinterest and type in soup or low calorie soup and there are some fabulous recipes.
  • snapril68
    snapril68 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    bump for later
  • emmymcq
    emmymcq Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Me personally I love soup. Chicken Noodle, Tomato Basil, Chicken and Dumplings, etc.. However I have found it extremely hard to find a soup that is low in sodium.. I just tried the Progressive Light (because I saw it on Biggest Loser and thought what the hell) only to find out it's got 1,380mg!! Since I'm only 5'2'' I try to stick to a low sodium diet because I will retain a lot of water bloat. Any ideas or recipes they want to share??!!

-Stephanie

I love soup but my body doesn't love it. I don't have high blood pressure or anything like that, but I do believe I am sensitive to high amounts of sodium in one sitting. I get really bloated, even on the low sodium varieties. My only suggestion is if a recipe calls for X cups of broth, maybe replace a 1/4 - 1/2 of that with water or a different low sodium liquid.
  • sgcadola
    sgcadola Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Thanks all! I will have to get my butt in the kitchen and start cooking away!