Calorie concerns - advice needed?

Options
When I first joined MFP, the app suggested 1200 calories, and I've been eating that or slightly over since and I haven't felt hungry or tired. I've read lots of information on why 1200 calories is not ideal, so I'd be grateful if you guys didn't make this into one of those threads :wink:

Anyway, I have never been active and used to spend the majority of my day sitting down at the computer. I started exercising and I really enjoy it. I'd like to start lifting, running, some high intensity stuff, etc. and I'm reassessing my calories to allow for that. HOWEVER, here's where it gets complicated...

I have gastroparesis (delayed stomach emptying) which means that food sits in my stomach for a very long amount of time. I feel uncomfortably full after eating even a small portion of food and I'm rarely hungry. If I eat the wrong thing by accident, it won't even digest at all and I'll usually vomit up whatever I ate. (Gross, sorry!)

I guess I am worried because 1200-1400 is hard enough for me to eat as it is, without adding another 400 or so calories onto that. It's also hard to eat a high amount of calories eating healthy food... fruits and veggies have hardly any calories in the first place! I don't want to eat lots of crap just to reach the calorie goal.

So my question is... what am I going to do?! :ohwell: I feel very lost.

If you read this far, thank you :smile:

Also: I have already seen a doctor about this, I've had it since a young age. I was just given tablets to ease the stomach cramps. Most doctors don't even know what causes gastroparesis, so I'm a bit stumped.

Replies

• WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    Has anyone ever suggested to you exercises to help with gastroperisis? I don't know what kind you have, but building ab muscles, and then using them, helps move food for some people. But that might be a different kind of gastroperisis than you have.

If you can't eat to feed your workouts, then maybe you need to workout less/different, to match your food intake.
  • peachfigs
    peachfigs Posts: 831 Member
    Options

If you can't eat to feed your workouts, then maybe you need to workout less/different, to match your food intake.

I hope not. I'm not very fit at all and I have a lot of excess fat to lose.
  • peachfigs
    Options
    anyone?
  • Staci64
    Staci64 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    the only thing I can think of is choose high calorie items, such as PB, which has healthy fat, etc in it. maybe eat a waffle w/ PB on it for breakfast==300+ calories, then a PB & jelly sandwich for lunch=480, snack on nuts (their hjigh in calories), and eat like pasta for dinner, its high. I agree with the other writer, you need to exercise, that makes everything move better. If your constipated....walk, walk, walk. I would exercise, just not crazy exercise wehre your burning more than your eating.
    thats probably not very helpful, but maybe worth a try. there are alot of foods that are good for you but really high in fat and calories, just start reading labels.
  • natrob01
    natrob01 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you may need advice from a nutritionist and/or medical doctor. Any chance you can eat/drink smoothies, protein shakes, protein bars and the like over the course of the day?
  • peachfigs
    Options
    Sounds like you may need advice from a nutritionist and/or medical doctor. Any chance you can eat/drink smoothies, protein shakes, protein bars and the like over the course of the day?

I was thinking about that but I have no idea where to start when it comes to protein shakes, lol. It would certainly help if I could just drink some calories!

Note...I'd also have to avoid the ones really high in sugar. I wonder if that rules most of them out?
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Have you seen or would you consider seeing a dietician or nutritionist to determine a more appropriate diet for your needs? I know nothing about your condition but just off the cuff, I'm thinking that avoiding the typical "binders" like cheese, rice and bananas might be a good start. And getting plenty of water and healthy fats to help things move along.

I'd also wonder if maybe you've got a food intolerance that's bothering your system. Again I would recommend doing this under medical supervision or at least doing extensive research. I had a friend do a detox as part of a program (Arbonne) where she cut out dairy, soy and gluten for a month then slowly introduced one thing at a time and found out she's lactose intolerant. Although she misses real cheese, she's a lot more comfortable without it.

What about probiotics? They're mostly found in dairy but there are suppliments you can take.

A friend of mine has BM issues and uses something called "Smooth Move" tea.

As the others said, I would think regular exercise would help your condition. Just start slow...walking is excellent exercise!

And as Staci mentioned, if you have trouble getting your calories in, try to include more calorie dense foods like nuts, seeds, nut/seed butters, lean protein, eggs, healthy oils, even dark chocolate. Cut out anything lite/low fat and eat the regular versions.