I'll Admit, I Like It

Options
FrnkLft
FrnkLft Posts: 1,821 Member
So I'll admit (damn I've posted a lot today...)... anyways, that working out is easy for me. I enjoy it, and I've always been physically active.

In fact, not liking exercise seems like such a 1st World problem to me. I mean otherwise, your butt would get eaten by a lion, right? (Joke) Although, that thought actually crosses my mind here and there... We are built to move!

Anyhow, for those of you that don't like any kind of exercise, why is that? Share what you struggle with.

Replies

• Jennisin1
    Jennisin1 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    I like it now.. but before...

I felt like I had so little time and when I did work out, I was bad at it. Working through that and getting to the place where I am strong and capable.... makes it much more fun... I felt pitiful, embarrassed by my weakness and inability.
  • crobl
    crobl Posts: 380
    Options
    I'm glad that I'm not the only weird one that loves it. I love being sore - I lifted heavy last night and could barely roll out of bed this morning - personal opinion "best day ever"
  • NakedLunchTime
    Options
    This is an odd topic. I think most people know the reasons why some people find it hard/don't like to work out.
  • matt2442
    matt2442 Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    This is an odd topic. I think most people know the reasons why some people find it hard/don't like to work out.

this
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    1ConcreteGirl Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    I admit it.

I like it, too.

I like it a lot.
  • matt2442
    matt2442 Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    I admit it.

I like it, too.

I like it a lot.

orlly?
  • FrnkLft
    Options

Because it's "hard" I guess right? But that's 100% not a deterent for me. I might not do a marathon because I'm not interested in running for 4 hours straight (nor can I right now, lol), but 10 - 30 min jogging or even walking outside is very reasonable (read: walking is seriously not hard unless your body is malfunctioning) and I do it (actually I generally hate running which is why I keep it to a managable level).

Right now my focus is on lifting, but if that wasn't for me I'd do something else. So what is it? Why the aversion to physical activity?
  • NakedLunchTime
    Options

Because it's "hard" I guess right? But that's 100% not a deterent for me. I might not do a marathon because I'm not interested in running for 4 hours straight (nor can I right now, lol), but 10 - 30 min jogging or even walking outside is very reasonable and I do it (actually I generally hate running which is why I keep it to a managable level).

Right now my focus is on lifting, but if that wasn't for me I'd do something else. So what is it?
    Ya, pretty much. I love working out but it is still hard for me in my own ways. Not just physically, but mentally too sometimes. I don't know lol. I didn't mean to come off as a snot haha, I just thought the reasons were obvious. :tongue:
  • Queenofthezoo
    Queenofthezoo Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Because I am not very good at it. After years of gym class, trying my very best and still being the very worst, it became something I despised. Public Humiliation throughout elementary, middle, and high school will do that for you.

I feel guilty taking the time to do it for myself. It usually means putting the kids in front of a screen, or paying money I don't have for someone to play with them, or constant interruptions from them.

I enjoy running by myself (and by running, I mean a chubby girl shuffle - it takes me 45 minutes to do a 5k), but I run country roads where people can't see me. But when it is extremely cold out side and the roads are covered with ice, and it is dark, it makes it not too inviting. I have participated in 2 actual 5 k's and loved them, but still wished I could run normal. I have always been told I run "funny". I have watched youtube videos, and other runners trying to figure out the "right" way but I still don't have it down.

I have found that it isn't the exercise itself I hate, it is the fact that I don't know what I am doing. I can see the way things should be in my head, but in reality I am uncoordinated. I have no rhythym, no strength, and no desire to be mocked as the fat girl who can't do anything. And there is always the guilt that I should be doing something else, taking care of someone else, spending the money on something else, etc.
  • ilmb87
    ilmb87 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I like exercising NOW. But I think it was a matter of finding an exercise routine that didn't bore me or felt like a chore.
  • csuhar
    csuhar Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    In some cases, I think it may tie to gym class, a.k.a. so-called "physical education". I don't know about anyone else here, but I wasn't really educated at all in that class. It was more a "go out and do whatever the heck the teacher says" class with no apparent logic. Sometimes it was fun, but not always. I think it took a particular turn for the worse as we hit our teen years and the "gym" became a competitive place where the fit shamed those who were not as well prepared. Nobody ever talked about how to get better. You just knew that you couldn't run a mile, or that the other guy did twice as many pull ups as you, or that some kids were better at sports than you.

I think this development of the "haves versus have nots" put a sour taste in many mouths. I liked physical activity such as hiking, swimming, and even playing extracirricular sports in my younger years, but I did NOT like gym class. If that's all someone gets- the feeling that what you do in a gym is pointless or even embarrassing, and that is what forms their understanding of working out, encouraging them to start can be an uphill battle.

It took going to the gym as a social activity with my college roommates and developing an understanding about how to progress and grow for me to truly feel comfortable in the gym. Nowdays, if I go a couple days without exercising, I get cranky.
  • MidwestAngel
    MidwestAngel Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    I like it

long and hard

the kind that makes me sweaty

and leaves me breathless
  • FrnkLft
    Options

I'm also curious. what are those reasons?
    Before when I was still overweight, I didnt want to work out becuase I was lazy. plain and simple. I'd rather watch tv and eat/drink than get my butt on a treadmill.

During my weightloss, working out was like pulling teeth. I knew I had to do it so my clothes could start fitting again, but I certainly didnt enjoy it.

Once I started really seeing results (probably at the 20lb mark), it became a habit and part of my daily grind.

however, I STILL HATE CARDIO. i hate it with the passion of the fire of a thousand suns....hatttttteeee it!

but lifting weights?? I LIVE FOR LEGS DAY!

Agreed, cardio sucks. But then just do a bit of it, eat better, and find something else you like to do that isn't sitting down, right?

I've always suspected that women struggle more with exercise because they think it's all about the treadmill. Go play soccer or something too, it doesn't all need to get done in the gym.

cardio-gif.gif
  • Factory_Reset
    Factory_Reset Posts: 1,651 Member
    Options
    I like it

long and hard

and leaves me breathless

QFT
  • djc0821
    djc0821 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    It's a mind battle for me. I sit all day at work, sit in the car on the way home, sit in the recliner to check email and watch TV. A body at rest tends to stay at rest... Once I get moving, I don't mind it so much.
  • Whipppets
    Whipppets Posts: 267
    Options
    I bet you have been called obsessed, one minded , self centered. I hear this from people
    at work all the time. I love to exercise and can not wait for the work day to end.
  • spetermann190
    spetermann190 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Is orrly "Oh Really" or "Orally"? I cants keep up with all these modern abbrevs
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,473 Member
    Options
    OH YEAH!
    DO SHARE WHY YOU ARE A LAZY *kitten*/
  • edge_dragoncaller
    edge_dragoncaller Posts: 826 Member
    Options
    I like it

long and hard

and leaves me breathless

I thought you hated running. :huh:
  • khayashi80
    khayashi80 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    For me, it's that my brain isn't engaged and so it's boring. Also, I hate the feeling really breathless and sharp wheezing. I find the 30 day shred doesn't do that to me and that I am engaged in trying to make sure my form is correct, so it's a little better. I am getting more of the jones to exercise, it just will probably never be one of my fave activities. Though I do relish my ability to move and keep moving.