I'm twice the mom I want to be

Options
I didn't start out to be a yo-yo dieter....

I have been overweight most of my life. When I got married 23 years ago, I wore a size 18 dress. Over the next few years I packed on 10-15 pounds a year until I found myself at about 250 pounds. I have never had any "fat related" health problems (i.e. diabetes, heart problems, high blood pressure), so I didn't really worry about it. I was mostly comfortable in my skin. I told people I would rather stay this size (24) where I was comfortable, I knew how much space I took up, and I had a decent wardrobe.

That changed 11 years ago when my Daddy died of a heart attack at 61 years old. My mom had been on heart meds for 10 years. I decided I need to do something. Working with my doctor, I began taking metformin (a diabetic medication) that I had read could help with my infertility issues (PCO or polycystic ovaries) as well as help me lose weight. I made no other changes, but I lost 20 pounds over the next 20 weeks. Then I added diet (Atkins). I lost another 25. Then I got strep throat and lost another 5 (grand total of 50 pounds in about 7 or 8 months). But after I got better, I fell off the Atkins wagon.

Every year or two since, I have started again---determined that *this time* was going to be "it". I have tried low carb, low fat, and low calorie. I have tried walking, aerobics, Health Rider (remember that?), and even a personal trainer. I have lost between 30 and 60 pounds at least 5 times. Somewhere, I found a yo-yo.

In October, I turned 40. I had decided a couple of years before that I was going to work toward my goal and lose the weight by by 40th birthday. Instead, I turned 40 at 285--my highest weight ever. But worse than that.....6 months later, I am weighing in at just over (or under, depending on the day) 300 pounds.

I recently organized a Biggest Loser contest at my office. About 1/5 of the company is participating! There is only one girl heavier than me. At our first two weigh ins, I lost only 1/2 pound (for a total of 1 pound).

I'm working with a trainer at a local gym. We are working out as a group twice a week. Last week I managed to work out 5 days. I am trying to match it this week.

I am a full time working mom with 3 school aged kids (who are home for the summer). It is difficult to arrange work out times., but I am determined to make it work. I want to be able to play with my kids. (And they need me now, so I guess that is the end of my intro!)

Replies

• smae1980
    smae1980 Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    This site is great for helping you keep track of what you eat and really holding you accountable as long as you keep track of everything, so you have made the right first step. It sounds like you have gotten to the point where you are really ready to do this for real so keep up the great work you've done so far and you CAN do this! I wish you the best of luck here and in your daily life. This will not be easy, but MFP is one of the best tools around to help people lose weight. :flowerforyou:
  • TeamLeela
    TeamLeela Posts: 3,302
    Options
    Your story is very inspirational. I'm so glad that you have a great support system at work with the biggest loser challenge and now you have an online support group here at MFP! I wish you great success. You deserve it!
  • Norbert2010
    Options
    Thanks for your story Julie and welcome. It sounds like you have a good attitude towards getting the weight off and I really hope it works for you.

I have found that honesty is the best policy in filling in your log each day, that way you can track it properly. It is only going to help you and it is only for you so make sure that if you have a bad day you log that too and you will be able to see it and understand when things are not going to plan.

Good luck with it and please update your progress.
  • bloblynda
    bloblynda Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Make the most of the summer with your kids; you don't need to work out if you can go for long walks with them. Make a fun day out to a local park. Take them swimming and go yourself. Swimming is wonderful for toning up the whole body. AND use this site every day to keep you on the straight and narrow. This site is sooo motivating
  • susiewusie
    susiewusie Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Hi Julie you sound so motivated ,I know you will do so well ,just enjoy the holidays with your children ,I used to say when my oldest 2 were little oh we will go swimming but I never did to my regret as they are both married now !
    I did go with my youngest 2 and realised that no one takes any notice of you wish I had I had listened to people back then when they told me that :)
  • Soon2beskinny73
    Soon2beskinny73 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Hi and welcome to MFP :) This is a great site and wonderful people here to help you along the way. I love it here!!! Sounds like you are ready to lose the weight for good and that is the first step. You can do this :) Good luck!!!