Yet another newbie! Woohoo!

Options
Howdy! Tiffany here! I'm 24 years old, and in "decent shape". Mostly because all through high school, I was very intensive in dance, and in college took the same approach to fencing. However, now that I'm an "adult" (as much as I may deny that) and out in the working world, I find myself trying to figure out how to make and stick to a work out program, when it isn't already made for me (as in dance and fencing - my schedule just doesn't have enough consistency for even fitness classes really).

So my main goal is to become more fit.... without giving up. I am a big fan of my couch. It may not be pretty... but it's comfy. However, there is one more wrench to throw in the mix....

Asthma.

Not severe, but definitely exercise induced. Diagnosed just a few years ago, right when I was already out of the exercise circuit, and I find myself using it as an excuse to stay on my comfy couch. It's not an excuse. My asthma is very well controlled, I rarely (if ever) have a sudden attack, and my doctor has approve regular exercise. So it's not an excuse, as much as I try to make it one. While I do need to me more thoughtful in planning workouts - I can do it. I think I can, I think I can, I think I can!!!

So yeah, that long speech to basically say - "Hi, I'm Tiffany! I'm asthmatic, but I'm tired having that stop me! Will you be my friend?" =D

Replies

• Bison008deleted
    Options
    Hi Tiffany I'll be your friend fer sure. I'm on here daily offering support to my people. Anyone reading this post is free to add me. There's strength in numbers. Cheers.
  • Prismapencils
    Options
    I have it too, but it hadn't been a problem for the majority of my life. In fact, I thought it wasn't until last year when the cold weather and pollen had me hooked to a steroid breathing treatment for two or three weeks. Now, I grow weary when the seasons change, but that's not going to stop me either. Although, sometimes, I wonder if it could be a problem when I'm trying to breathe during running, if it's my own fault because I was trained to hold my breath from swimming which can destroy any attempt during cardio, or if I just need to run longer to build endurance. Anyway, I thought your intro was amusing. I too have a comfy place that I reside in. I have my blankets and pillows and books. During the day, that's where I am "studying". At night, training or working.
  • Baby_sway86
    Baby_sway86 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Hi Tiffany, I've just started to. Trying to improve health and fitness. Feel free to add me - sadly I'm on my couch as I write this lol.
  • thattiffanygirl
    thattiffanygirl Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the awesome welcome!
  • bugs5697
    bugs5697 Posts: 85
    Options
    I too have wicked allergies that induce asthma attacks on a far too regular basis. Heavy cardio is a challenge, but I'm finding ways to get moving with out turning it into an inhaler session.

Anyone, please feel free to add me. I log in daily and try my best to support all of my super duper friends!!

Best Wishes!!!
  • keely1998
    keely1998 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Hi Tiffany this website is great it has really kept me motivated, feel free to add to 2 your friends list:)
  • ChildrenCryinNCoffee
    ChildrenCryinNCoffee Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    Hi Tiffany! I'm Tricia and I'm an asthmatic as well. Mine is anxiety induced, and lemme tell ya, I have a LOT of anxiety! LOL. Feel free to add me to your group of friends if you'd like. There definitely is support in numbers!
  • cmego4it
    cmego4it Posts: 14
    Options
    Hi Tiffany welcome, you will find really good support and motivation on MFP :) Fell free to add me as a friend.
  • cherylatkwechanged
    cherylatkwechanged Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    Hi Tiffany welcome to the family Hun this is the most amazing thing in the world, I dint have motivation but I am the lightest I have been in 7 years feel free to add everyone
  • pawnstarNate
    pawnstarNate Posts: 1,728 Member
    Options
    Fencing huh? guys....beware!!!

509bf55f737bb.gif
  • Leeann1979
    Leeann1979 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    I also have asthma. It is fairly well controlled, but usually need my inhaler when exercising. I had asthma as a kid, and it went away til I was about 19, and it came back. I have been smoke free for over 2 years now, and the asthma is ok, but still not great. As long as I take my steroid inhaler its controlled well. It doesn't usually affect my day to day living, except when I am sick.
    I am so sick of having to carry a puffer everywhere!!
  • cherylatkwechanged
    Options
    Fencing huh? guys....beware!!!

509bf55f737bb.gif

Awesome lol xx
  • KML617
    KML617 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Friend request is on it's way!! :happy:

Anyone can feel free to add me as well. I log in everyday! Try to be helpful and supportive to all my MFP buddies. And I keep my food diary open to friends. I'm a bit of a foodie, so I'm always trying to come up with new ways to squeeze in as many yummy things as my calorie goal will allow :laugh:
  • travishalogod
    travishalogod Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    TIFFANY!! welcom to MFP.. its an awesome place to be.. don't let your asthma get in the way of your fitness!!
    Your asthma should actually improve and possibly go away with fitness. Just make sure you don't hurt yourself and don't ever let it hold you back..
    I personally lost a lot of weight thanks to the app.. just recently discovered the awesome community on here..

feel free to add me if you'd like.
  • Prismapencils
    Options
    That link is amazing. Also, I wish I had time for fencing. It looks fun.
  • cherylatkwechanged
    Options
    I used to do fencing its awesome xx
  • Prismapencils
    Options
    Humanity will never grow old of hitting things with sticks...
    Also, where does one even learn? @.@'