Anyone success cycling?

Options
Has anyone had success with their primary exercise as bicycling? (Yes I am aware weight loss comes from a calorie deficit) Did you use stationary or outdoor? If anyone has photos I would love to actually see how bicycling changed your body. Also how many calories per day did you eat? Macros? Miles per week? Anything would be great! Ive found tons of threads with regaurds to the actual exercise but not so many with results. Thanks!!!

Replies

• KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    YES!!!, there are quite a few good groups here too.
  • beespen123
    beespen123 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I lost my first 40lbs with just riding my mtb everyday. Can't wait for to warm up so I can get back to it.
  • mountaingirl2207
    Options
    I am not using cycling now, but when I was younger I was a competitive mountain biker. I think the key (as in any kin d of exercise) is that you push yourself. In cycling it is very easy to sit back and just pedal. My brother in law has been riding for 2 years and goes on 50 mile rides, but here in Florida it is flat so he coasts the whole way and then complains that he can't lose weight. Use a training program and do interval sprinting if you are outside, inside use the resistance on the stationary bike.
  • akilahleemarie
    akilahleemarie Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    i only use my stationary bike for exercise, and its so easy to do HIIT on it, and it toned the hell out of my thighs and narrowed my hips alot. I don't have any pictures but, trust me, you are toning you legs and burning calories at the same time! i wear a heart rate monitor and burn anywhere from 550-700 calories in an hour :)
  • kay_der
    kay_der Posts: 24
    Options
    I am not calling myself a success story yet, but I have lost 11 lbs in 9 weeks using a stationary bicycle under my desk at work and tracking my calories. It is working for me.
  • jmyotter
    jmyotter Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I don't have specific pics to share, but I have been biking since I was little... As some have said, (and this really goes with anything in life) you get out what you put in... I will say this, from a calorie burn standpoint and cardio output standpoint, heart rate, etc....As a general rule of thumb you have to bike almost twice as much time to get the same "endurance" benefit. Meaning I can run for 30 minutes and burn roughly 400-500 calories and keep my heart rate at about 145-170. While I would have to bike for an hour to burn roughly the same calories at a lower heart rate.

Before I get any flack for this methodology, I have tested in on myself using numerous tools available and this is for me training for a endurance events.

I do know though that on days that I do major hill training on the bike, or if I push speed on the bike, I can up the ratio so that I'm burning more calories than normal biking.

I bike indoors on a trainer that I connect my road bike to, and outdoors when weather and time permit. Generally I'm not on the trainer for more than 2 hours, I frequently am out biking in the "real" world for as much as 3 hours on my "longer" rides. It is just too boring to sit for much longer than 2 hours on the trainer...I try and do as much interval training as possible to switch it up, but it is a lot easier for me to go for a run for half that time (hour ish) and burn way more calories.

Just for reference too, I average 18-24 mph on my bike both indoors/ out. 18 when I'm doing lots of hills, and faster when it is a flatter route.

I push myself pretty hard, mostly because I have strong biking legs, but general rule of thumb in Tri training for many (others use different methods) is to keep a cadence of 95-105 revolutions per minute on the bike, so when biking on the trainer I try and keep that cadence and switch gears to get the "hill" training.

It all depends for me on what I want to get out of it....If I'm going for a leisure bike ride with my family, I can hardly break a sweat at 16mph OR If I only have a short amount of time, I can push really hard and bike 14 miles in roughly 30 minutes and I'm gassed.

I will say this though, If you don't want big quads, don't push too hard! haha I have very well defined calves and quads from my biking....It also depends on what "position" you take on the bike on what muscles you define more than others. Proper seat position is a given, but an upright position is "easier" for those with less strong cores, and that is why I've been working really hard on the aero bars on my bike to improve comfort and power on the bike over long distances.

My longest ride on a "normal" ride is 50 miles... I'm hoping to up that and keep my average speed up this summer. I'd say if you're looking for the most definition for your time spent, you may want to look into spin classes or a stationary bike that you can do interval training on in a way that helps you track it at first.

Just my two cents....
  • swonn
    swonn Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I lost the first 30 pounds strictly riding my bike. I bike on mainly flat rails to trails and average 50-60 miles a week when the weather is better. I don't do interval training but I do push myself to go faster than the time before. I have no pictures to share but I went from an obese BMI to overweight and lost around 8% body fat.
  • Cyclink
    Cyclink Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Has anyone had success with their primary exercise as bicycling? (Yes I am aware weight loss comes from a calorie deficit) Did you use stationary or outdoor? If anyone has photos I would love to actually see how bicycling changed your body. Also how many calories per day did you eat? Macros? Miles per week? Anything would be great! Ive found tons of threads with regaurds to the actual exercise but not so many with results. Thanks!!!

I've lost 26 pounds since last August cycling. I had a few off years and gained all that weight, so getting back on the bike helped me get ride of it. I have not lifted one weight the entire time, so all the loss is from cycling. My body fat was around 25% and is now around 17%.

Keep in mind, I'm training for competition, so my numbers might sound a bit higher than someone who is training for weight loss and fitness.

When I ride outside, including warm up and cool down, I average 18 to 20 mph. I expect my racing speeds this year will hover around 24 to 26 mph, depending on the length of events, which range from 20 minutes to an hour. I average 9 to 12 hours a week. Most of the winter, that's been on a trainer, so it took a lot of dedication to stick with it. Luckily I have a CompuTrainer which really helped me focus my workouts. I also use a power meter and analysis software that gives me calorie expenditure numbers that are much more accurate than a heart rate monitor does.

Over the winter I was eating about 2500 to 3000 on training days. Now I'm looking to lose about a pound a month as I head into racing season and need to keep myself well fueled, so my calorie intake is at a very low deficit at 2700 to 3300 on training days.

I don't pay a lot of attention to the macros. I hover around 60/20/20, but it's not intentional. That's just what I eat.

If you look through my profile, you'll see pics (like the one with the BMC flag in the background) where I'm in the 190 range. The newer one, with the yellow spandex on the trainer, I'm at 170 or so.
  • drosen32
    drosen32 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Cycling is all I do. In the past I've run, skied, lifted weights, and so forth. I like biking because it allows me to see a lot of scenery. I bike about 200-400 miles/week, depending on the weather. I love the fact that it allows me to eat more than the 1960 calories I'm allotted per day without the biking. I've lost 18 lbs. so far by biking, and I've been on MFP for about two months. Also, consider entering bike rides in your area as they're great charity events.
  • Trilby16
    Trilby16 Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    People think cycling is just relaxing but your thighs and glutes are the largest muscles in your body, so working them has an effect. I have a stationary bike that I use every day and always throw in a few "intervals" of hard pedaling. I just bought an outdoor bike. I know my stationary bike burns calories because I get awfully sweated up on it. In the middle of winter I had to open all my windows to ride it (I don't like to sweat).
  • Trilby16
    Trilby16 Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    Also, PS, when I first get off my bike, my legs feel like wet noodles. I'm sure it's making a difference. I have more stamina in general than before I started riding it.
  • 171berlin
    Options
    I personally found that biking is the easiest way to incorporate activity into your day. I always try to bike to work - when the weather allows it - and even though that's only biking at a normal city speed and in no way hardcore cardio exercise for me, it's 45 minutes twice a day that I would usually spend sitting on my *kitten* in public transport.
    Even at times when I didn't really do any other exercise, I could feel the difference of being outside for more than 1 and a half hours every day. And you get some sun :)
  • lookin_new
    lookin_new Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Hey, I got started in losing weight by getting a bike and riding it.I live in the middle of no where and don't own my own car lol so its also a source of freedom for me. I started riding only 3 kms and I thought it was going to kill me but as time passed and I stuck to it I quickly gained distance. I have a old trek cross bike (thin tires but not road bike tires) I was riding outdoors until almost Christmas when I gave in to the cold and put it on an indoor trainer. I will put some pictures up in a month or 2 ;) haha i'm almost there and I owe a tremendous debit to my bike not only for transforming my life, but for never complaining about holding a 320 pound man for so long lol.
  • Pamko57
    Pamko57 Posts: 182
    Options
    I was a three to five mile a day walker up until about ten/twelve years ago. I loved walking, but we moved to big city, and there just aren't good sidewalks, and it's time consuming to drive to a trail, walk, then drive home, so I just gradually stopped.

I purchased an exercise bike about 8 years ago, and it's mostly been collecting dust while I collected 70 to 80 + pounds of the 128 I lost in 1997/98. I dusted that bike off and started riding it in November. Because I had such great cardio endurance from the walking, it didn't take me long to get up to 50-ish minutes a day, 6 days a week. I try to do more M-F, so I can do less on Saturdays and still have 300 minutes for the week. It's about 10 miles a day, average. I've dropped over 50 pounds since then, 44 since I joined MFP in December. My thighs are still enormous, but I feel muscle under the cellulite. My hips are shrinking at a rapid pace, and my belly is going down.

I still have about 38 pounds to lose to get to my ideal weight. I dunno if you can see my pictures. I'm also doing strength training.
  • furenaef
    furenaef Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    cyclin is fun, but i dont use it to lose weight, as a matter of fact, today i did 54 miles on my single speed road bike, but then i eat alot of calories, which if you dont control, could lead to actual weight gain with caloric surplus. (but after that long of a ride, you will want to eat alot more)

to lose weight in the end, make a good whole foods approach. and do some bodyweight exercises, no need for barbells, but actually learn about progression on bodyweight exercises and not just copy whateveryone does

10 sets of push ups, and quarter squats is what i see most ppl doing, with no results.
  • wostlund
    wostlund Posts: 1
    Options
    I have been doing spin for awhile now. I do at least 3 classes a week but more if I can. I love it and the weight has been coming off but I also weight lift & watch my calorie intake about 1200 a day!!! It is with any exercise you get out what you put into it. But, pick an activity you enjoy. If you do you will stick with it longer.
  • furenaef
    furenaef Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I have been doing spin for awhile now. I do at least 3 classes a week but more if I can. I love it and the weight has been coming off but I also weight lift & watch my calorie intake about 1200 a day!!! It is with any exercise you get out what you put into it. But, pick an activity you enjoy. If you do you will stick with it longer.

how long have you been doing cycling with only 1200kcals?
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!