Nine months ago today...

Options
... I weighed 270, and decided that was as far as I would go. My wife Sherry struggles with her weight, too, and she had come across the MFP site a few days prior to my decision to reverse the trend of gain and loss I/we had endured for the last twenty (probably more) years. We started on June 22, 2012, and today, I weighed in at 197. (My MFP chart shows it at 260 to 187, but that is due to finding out two months into the program that our scales were ten pounds light. What a serious bummer that was!) But! We forged onward, undaunted an undiscouraged. Sherry has done well, but hit a wall at the 36 pound loss bar, but she continues to maintain a healthy diet and exercise routine, and has faith things will payoff in the long run.
We have both learned to eat smaller portions, and the thing we enjoy most is that we can eat almost anything we desire, as long as we don't eat too much of it.
I'm retired, so I have an advantage in that I can exercise more than Sherry--and many people in general--and it doesn't hurt that I'm a fanatic when it comes to exercise. I ride my exercise bike 2-3 hours a day, and try to get in 1-2 fast-paced, two-mile walks per day.
When people ask me how I've accomplished the weight loss, I tell them about MFP, and explain it's really very simple. I call it the simple math diet. You simply burn more calories than you take in, and do it consistently. My son just started MFP, and he likes to refer to it as the awareness plan; you are reminded every day what your calorie intake is and how many calories you burn.
Sorry for the lengthy post, but, hey, I’m a writer; whatta ya expect? In fact, here’s one of my blog post that refers to my dieting adventures: http://charleslmashburn.wordpress.com/2013/01/30/too-much-skin-in-the-game/

Replies

• bufger
    bufger Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    I like the reference to 'the awareness plan' as that sums up exactly what it is! I had a few weeks of maintenance followed by 2 months of not logging and i was only aware of my intake vs burnt calories a handful of times. As soon as i come back on here i'm totally aware even if im not logging!

I'm really glad for you and your wife. Keep up the excellent work and tell her not to get disheartened as she will get there in the end!
  • SalonBoi
    SalonBoi Posts: 60
    Options
    Amazing progress, I'm a month into my "Awareness Plan" and have lost 12 pounds already and hope to have success like yours!! I feel it in my bones I will have it in this calendar year.. Thanks for posting your story as it is very inspirational to read..
  • sparklelioness
    sparklelioness Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    Cograts on your success! I agree it really helps with awareness... Also, everyday when i wake up and see my fresh calorie allowance, it reminds me that today is a new day and a new chance to stay within my calorie goal. Check my ticker-its working for me :)
  • SalonBoi
    SalonBoi Posts: 60
    Options
    Cograts on your success! I agree it really helps with awareness... Also, everyday when i wake up and see my fresh calorie allowance, it reminds me that today is a new day and a new chance to stay within my calorie goal. Check my ticker-its working for me :)

Don't you just love seeing the refreshed number every morning!!!!!
  • charlesmashburn
    Options
    Thanks a bunch. No worries about getting discouraged. I think we've both finally turned the corner and are entrenched in a healthier lifestyle of eating right, eating less, and exercising more. I really don't think we will go back to our old ways!
    It looks like you're doing great too! Keep it up and OFF!
  • charlesmashburn
    Options
    Hope is defined as "looking forward to something, expecting it to happen". You can do it! I can tell you for sure, it is well worth it and after a while, it becomes easier, as your mind and body adjust. Never give up!
  • charlesmashburn
    Options
    Thank you! And yes, every day IS a new day! You're doing great, and I encourage you to keep on keeping on! It's not always easy, but it's always worth it!
  • Laura42012
    Laura42012 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!
    My son just started MFP, and he likes to refer to it as the awareness plan; you are reminded every day what your calorie intake is and how many calories you burn.

Your son - Wow! That's very insightful!
  • molina76853
    molina76853 Posts: 143
    Options
    Great job! Keep it up!
  • charlesmashburn
    Options
    A chip off the ol' Block?? :bigsmile:
  • charlesmashburn
    Options
    Thanks! You too!
  • newme2105
    newme2105 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Well done that is excellent progress! You must be thrilled!
  • charlesmashburn
    Options
    Very thrilled! Thank you!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!