I want some honest opinions from real people!

Options
Okay, so first off, I want to thank anyone who takes the time to read/answer this.

To put it bluntly, I'm confused. It seems like every fitness article I read contradicts one I read last week. Y'all know what I'm talking about? I don't know what works and what doesn't.

This is my goal:

http://fitgirllivinginabikini.tumblr.com/post/20173633604/http-fitnessgirljunkie-tumblr-com

And I want to know if it's possible for me to get there by doing what I'm doing now or if I should change something.

Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays, I do about 30 minutes of ab and core strengthening workouts. Bicycle crunches, reverse crunches, leg raises, scissor kicks and oblique crunches (4 sets of 10 of each of those) followed by a 90 second plank. Then, I run. I've been running about a year. I probably average about 10-12 miles a week. Sometimes I run slow and go long distance (long distance to me is 6 or 7 miles lol) or I'll push it hard and run around 3 miles at about 7:20/mile. I like the fast runs because they get my blood pumping.
Tuesdays and Thursdays, I do what I assume would be called weight training. I don't have access to any serious equipment, so I've found a dumbbell workout I like. I work a little of everything - legs and butt, chest, arms, back and shoulders. I follow that with jump roping to really get my blood pumping. I jump rope as fast as I can for 30 seconds, then run in place for 1 minute, and repeat for between 20 and 30 minutes.

Now for the important stuff: my diet.
99% of my breakfasts are smoothies made with mostly fruit. Yes, I know fruits are full of sugar. So I limit my fruit to breakfast and plus I need the energy for my workouts. Normally I'll do something like spinach-apple-kiwi, or mango-banana-pineapple-orange, or raspberry-blueberry-strawberry.
Post-workout I make a small recovery shake with peanut butter, banana, milk, and chocolate whey protein powder.
I eat lots of vegetables. Leafy greens especially around lunch. I have a big salad almost every day (normally topped with grilled chicken for the protein).
I cook almost everything I eat. I make venison or chicken burgers for the lean protein, ratatouille for the yummy veggies, or omelettes with fresh mushrooms.
I probably have about 100-150 g of carbs a day.
I eat avocados (love them!) and flaxseed for the healthy oils.
I hardly *ever* eat bread, potatoes, pasta or red meat.
I drink 70-80 ounces of water a day.

Now. Yes, I see results. But I believe I'm on a "plateau," if you will, because I haven't seen much of any change for the past 4 weeks.

I'm 5'7" and weigh 116 (I really couldn't care less what the scales say) so I'm pretty skinny. I just really want to be lean and toned, and I'm not sure where to start or if I can get there by doing what I'm doing now. I realize that everybody is different in what works and what doesn't, but can I get some tips from all you lovely people?

Thank yooooou!

Replies

• Dlacenere
    Dlacenere Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    How many calories are you averaging per day? Have you figured out your BMR or TDEE? You can google both of them and get calculators for both. Do you watch your macronutrients? (Fat, protein and carbs specifically). These are all very important in addition to the exercise to get that body you want. Your exercise looks good - not sure how heavy those dumbbells are, but the heavier the better.
  • Emtabo01
    Emtabo01 Posts: 672
    Options
    Sounds like you need to focus more on lifting.
  • fittocycle
    fittocycle Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    From what you have said, I think running less often and adding in more strength training and yoga or pilates would help you reach your goals. I don't know how many calories you are eating but to add muscle, you should eat a decent amount of calories, especially since you are so thin.
    By the way, your diet sounds great-lots of whole foods and clean eating. Try to add in nuts to up your calories and get in some healthy fats too!
    Good luck to you!:flowerforyou:
  • WeatherGirl8
    WeatherGirl8 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    How many calories are you eating right now? Are you trying to bulk and gain weight or lose fat gain muscle? If you're 5'7 and 116 you're probably pretty lean already.
  • Bownzi
    Bownzi Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    I know for toneing I use Isomtrics, and have made progress, I'm older and am coming back to earth weight (got up to 300) a few years ago... but along with my stationary bike and the gym I use the Isometrics to tone... and its actually working...
  • cranberrycat
    cranberrycat Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Your BMI says that you are "underweight". I would not worry about losing any more fat. You need to do more muscle building if you want to look more toned.

I think you are eating great, keep up the good work.
  • Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    Options
    abs are made in the kitchen not in the gym.

Why are you posting your macro break down instead of just open diary? /glaringwithskepticism
  • RigDiver678
    Options
    Dlacenere -
    My BMR is 1389 and my TDEE is 2386. I'm intaking about 1600-1800 calories per day. Now what do I do with this information?
    Best I can figure, I get about 80 g of protein daily and between 100 and 150 g of carbs daily. I'm not sure the amount of fat - but I can assure you it's a low number. I eat VERY lean meat and stay away from anything greasy/sugary.

Also, my dumbbells are 10 pounds. Forgot to mention that.
  • Thena81
    Thena81 Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    hey gurlie! you welcome, lol i love these kinds of posts. first i think your doing a fab job and im sure if you lift heavy and light to no cardio (believe it or not lol ) will get you there. best of luck sweetie!! :heart: :drinker:
  • RigDiver678
    Options
    Warchortle -
    What? I assume you're referring to a diary somewhere on this site that shows others what I eat? I wasn't even aware that existed. My bad!
  • sandylion
    sandylion Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    That chick is a pile of muscle. You need mega protein intake and LIFTING to look like that. Read New Rules of Lifting for Women. Very enlightening.
  • KBGirts
    KBGirts Posts: 882 Member
    Options
    I don't think you need to do 30 minutes of ab/core training every other day. Building your largest muscle groups (legs, shoulder/chest/back/arms) has a greater return in burning calories in the long run because the muscles are bigger and maintaining them requires more calories; Therefore, you burn more fat which shows off your muscle.

You need to lift more and you need to lift HEAVY. You will use your core doing that anyway, so you only need a little ab work here and there. Focusing on core will not give you a six pack. The girl in the picture has serious legs that she only could have gotten via squats and other leg work. I imagine she lifts weights regularly but focuses on large groups. She's not the girl in the gym doing crunches.
  • Thena81
    Thena81 Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options

Why are you posting your macro break down instead of just open diary? /glaringwithskepticism

:huh: :frown:
  • exile40
    exile40 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I'd go for big compound heavy lifts and reduce cardio sessions.
  • Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    Options

:huh: :frown:
    What's with that face?
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    If you want to look like her you need to GAIN MUSCLE. Do a "bulk" cycle, followed by a cut.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/BusyLady406/view/so-ya-wanna-bulk-475896

I know you say you don't have access to heavy weights but if you want to look like her you should find some access. Gyms aren't as expensive as some people think. Check out local rec centers.
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    Who is real people I want to know? I am real. I look like white chocolate but I'm not.
  • marathonmom72
    marathonmom72 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Assuming your TDEE is correct, keep everything the same and eat that amount to maintain your current weight. However, if you ever find you need to lose some, you would cut your daily calories by 10 to 20% to create a small deficit. I agree with the others though, if you want a lean cut look (assuming you don't have fat to lose just based on your height and weight but with no picture available) you need to increase your calories and spend more time lifting and less time on your cardio. Don't cut the cardio out completely, but refocus your attention to body building rather than fat or weight loss. New Rules for Lifting is a great suggestion! Check out the group Eat More to Weigh Less and you will find several ladies who are using New Rules for Lifting. Good luck!
  • wagonblaster
    wagonblaster Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Your diet sounds wonderful. I agree with those who wrote that you should lift more. If you want more muscle, you will have to lift weight properly. You have to lift correctly, adding weight, and gradually building definition and muscle. Are you talking ab definition...maybe a six pack...that is lifting and major core exercise...you will have to lessen the cardio somewhat. I would also lower the carb intack, and up the protein shakes. I am a strick vegetarian, so I do extra protein shakes when I work out.
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    If you want to look like her you need to GAIN MUSCLE. Do a "bulk" cycle, followed by a cut.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/BusyLady406/view/so-ya-wanna-bulk-475896

I know you say you don't have access to heavy weights but if you want to look like her you should find some access. Gyms aren't as expensive as some people think. Check out local rec centers.

Yep, that chick lifts heavy. If you want a body like that, you're gonna have to put on muscle, which means eating a lot more food in general and finding some big weights to lift.