Tabata

Options
Has anyone tried/heard of Tabata? Do you like it? How do we enter a new exercise to the log list?
Thanks

Replies

• brey1986
    brey1986 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I really like tabata. The only one I have ever done comes in supreme 90 by tom holland. Its intense for sure! When your done, though you feel amazing, knowing you just rocked that =] I don't know how to log it though...
  • seena511
    seena511 Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    i've done it before. i should probably start again. it is tough though. i would put it in maybe as calisthenics or jumping jacks...kind of depends on what you were doing for your active intervals. if i did jumping jacks i would do 20 seconds x 8 reps to put in...however many minutes that is. unless you have an HRM you're just gonna kind of have to guestimate the calorie burn.
  • AcesMommy22
    AcesMommy22 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I tried it last night and I love it! It was a 55 minute class and very intense. I was drenched in sweat at about 10 minutes into the class. The exercises are not hard at all, just fast paced. I am trying to figure out how to log it on the exercise chart as well.
  • scribb
    scribb Posts: 3,659 Member
    Options
    I have been doing it on Friday's for more than a month now. I added Tabata as a custom excersise and entered the time and calories burned using my HRM. It is a great workout. 1000 + calories in just over an hour.
  • mmmj1030
    mmmj1030 Posts: 1
    Options
    I loooove Tabata! It's perfect if you are short on time or just want a lot of bang for your buck. There's tons of evidence out there that high intensity interval training is great for you (http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2010/03/100311123639.htm). There's also tons of free timers/examples of workouts on YouTube. This is my favorite: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=okA7B5vsIYU. It shows you a few good exercises to use and times for you. You can pretty much do any movement you want if you get bored with more traditional movements (biking, sprinting, squats, etc.). Be aware, though: I started my first day thinking it was gonna be easy. I mean, 20 seconds on and 10 seconds off? Sounds like a breeze, right?! Wrong! If you push yourself to your max intensity like you're supposed to, you should be winded and feeling the burn within one 4-minute set.
    Also, ideally you would measure your heart rate and calculate calories burned for tabata, then create a new exercise so that it's tailored to you. You can also log it under calisthenics, as was already mentioned.
    Hope this helps! Good luck!
  • Jennnifit
    Jennnifit Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Measure your BPM, calculate calories burned and custom add it with the minutes you've completed and the number of calories you've burned. Works for me :)
  • szalis
    szalis Posts: 1 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    Did anyone Figure out how to log Tabata in fitness pal?
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,741 Member
    Options
    Tabata is the name for an exercise pacing strategy, not an exercise. You can do Tabata running, rowing, cycling, calisthenics, etc. Log it as the activity you did.

Heart rate monitor calories are less likely to be accurate for interval activities. HRMs give their best estimates for steady state exercise. Vagaries of heart rate recovery during rest intervals make HRM less accurate for any interval workout, especially HIIT/Tabata.