Yogurt

Options
I read somewhere that eating yogurt every morining is good for one it gives one half the protein one needs more stuff. However I am eating Yoplait low in fat but it contains a lot of sugar. Does anyone know if yogurt has the good sugar like fruit or bad sugar. Also can anyone recommend me a yogurt that is healthier than Yoplait but not really expensive.

Replies

• Flixie00
    Flixie00 Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt. It tends to have less sugar and fat and is packed with protein. It generally is more expensive, but store brand own is cheaper (in the UK Asda's own is more cost effective and tastes great). Don't be fooled by labelling that says "greek style", its not the same.
  • michellelemorgan
    michellelemorgan Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I love Cabot greek style yogurt. 18 grams of protein and 220 calories and 4 grams of fat in a cup. It's not "real" greek yogurt as it has whey protein added to it to give it the thickness but it's delicious and good for you. The vanilla bean and black cherry flavors are wonderful but blueberry and strawberry are pretty bad tasting in my opinion.
  • Mommy4812
    Mommy4812 Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    I read somewhere that eating yogurt every morining is good for one it gives one half the protein one needs more stuff. However I am eating Yoplait low in fat but it contains a lot of sugar. Does anyone know if yogurt has the good sugar like fruit or bad sugar. Also can anyone recommend me a yogurt that is healthier than Yoplait but not really expensive.

I believe Yoplait has recently taken out the fructose in their yogurts so the sugar should be natural.
  • DonnaLeeCattes
    DonnaLeeCattes Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    Sugar is sugar, there is no good sugar, or bad sugar.

Thank you!

I tell people this all the time and they tell me I don't know what I'm talking about.
  • TssCnn
    TssCnn Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I use Yoplait Light and Yoplait Greek as well. Also Stonyfield Vanilla No Fat. All have sugar, BUT are lower than some of the other brands I have looked at Chobani seems to be a favorite with people. I checked it out. Massive amount of sugar.
  • dlcarroll13
    dlcarroll13 Posts: 65 Member
    Options

Absolutely incorrect
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Plain greek yogurt. Add your own fruit/mix-ins.
  • dlcarroll13
    dlcarroll13 Posts: 65 Member
    Options

Absolutely incorrect

Tell me how...

The way it's metabolized by the body and how it effects the resulting insulin spikes. Manufactured sugars are terrible for you...natural sugar (in fruit) is fine
  • atrebor18
    atrebor18 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Def switch to greek yogurt! there are a lot of different brands out there that make it so find one that works for you. Still check the labels for sugar content to be sure. it has way more protein than regular yogurt! A good thing to do is buy the plain and add your own fruit, sweetener, granola...whatever you want but then you get to control those ingredients.
  • cookieluvsya
    cookieluvsya Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Plain greek yogurt. Add your own fruit/mix-ins.

this!! I love mine with cut up melons, banana apple, and a drizzle of honey.. maybe pecans too :)
  • spaghetti93
    spaghetti93 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    If greek yogurt isn't your thing I am a fan of stonyfield. If you have a trader joe's, their yogurt is supplied by stonyfield and much cheaper. I hardly ever eat anything but vanilla and recently have started eating plain. I think it's better to add my own fruit then buy flavored single serve cups. Most granola is not as healthy as you would think; it's full of sugar. I like to add crushed up weetabix- not as crunchy but adds a satisfying texture for me.
  • kiddoc88
    kiddoc88 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    carbmaster and oikos plain are my go-to's
  • ChristineS_51
    ChristineS_51 Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    Natural (ie plain) Greek yoghurt - I love it. I sometimes have the reduced fat, but often have the full fat, just eat less, add berries or other fruit and a bit of honey or real maple syrup - delicious. Use it in place of sour cream. You can reduce the portion so you get your calorie & fat count under control, but it tastes so good - why have something that doesn't taste so good, and may have hidden sugars / sweeteners etc - just be aware of what you are eating and make an informed choice.

I do have to be careful of the sugar tho when I add fruit / honey. I am in the camp that takes sugar = sugar = sugar. If you have fruit, then the sugar comes along with other good things like fibre, vitamins, digestion time and flavour - but it is still sugar.
  • cmeiron
    cmeiron Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    I eat so much yogurt I decided to start making my own last week. All it takes is milk, and a slow-cooker (google it) - you can add powdered milk for extra nutrients/protein. You know exactly what's in it, and can add whatever flavours or sweetener you like. (And it's WAY cheaper!!!)