Healthy Smoothie ideas?

Options
Really been wanting to know what everyone puts in their smoothies. Either for snack or meals? Please share your recipes and if you drink them for your meal or snack. Thank you!

Replies

• Felecia1923
    Felecia1923 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    half cup frozen strawberrys, half cup dannon light vanilla yogurt, half cup frozen blueberries, and between half and 1 cup apple juice..... yummy
  • lsjd2000
    lsjd2000 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    1 cup plain yogurt, 1 cup strawberries (and or mixed berries), I banana (if you like, I do) and some raw sugar or other sweetner of your choice to taste (such as sun crystals etc.. I usually do about 2 tbls) mix well, sometimes I need to add some water or ice depending on if the strawberries are frozen or room temp.
  • CaddieMay
    CaddieMay Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    Water or almond milk, kale or spinach, protein powder, frozen blueberries, mangoes, apples, pears, etc., ground flaxseed, kefir. I've recently discovered all-natural peanut butter combined with blueberries (along with kale, protein powder, and almond milk or water) tastes delicious!

ETA: Mine are anywhere between 300-400 calories, so I make mine as a meal.
  • rvansaun
    rvansaun Posts: 13
    Options
    I like to blend some blueberry yougurt with some ice and then add some fresh blueberries at the end
  • rvansaun
    rvansaun Posts: 13
    Options
    I drink mine as a snack after going to the gym.
  • julielittlefish
    julielittlefish Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I'll make smoothie packs with about a third of a banana, a half-3/4 cup frozen berries (whatever I have on hand, usually blueberries, cherries, cranberries, etc.), some spinach, kale, and a spoonful of avocado. I'll prep them on the weekend and keep them in the freezer for the week. I dump it in the blender, top it off with unsweetened vanilla almond milk and blend. Delicious.
  • spaghetti93
    spaghetti93 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I usually make smoothies as the main part of a meal. Both of these recipes yield a generous portion.

1 frozen banana. I slice it up into discs the night before if I'm having a breakfast smoothie.
    1/2 cup frozen strawberries
    1/4 cup nonfat plain yogurt. (I used to use vanilla but realized I don't mind not having the extra sweeness. Use whatever you prefer.)
    1/2 cup kefir (I've been using raspberry flavor by Lifeway)
    1/4 cup nonfat cottage cheese (the secret, gross sounding ingredient - but I swear the taste blends right in and it makes it soooo creamy! If you don't want to use it just leave it out and double the yogurt but it's worth a try.)
    and finally, since it's usually really thick, I'll add up to a 1/2 cup of unsweetened, plain almond milk to make it a bit more drinkable.
    My version is usually around 300 calories at the most, it depends on the size of the banana and how much of each ingredient i feel like putting in. This makes a pretty big satisfying serving or two decent sized glasses. I like this one because it has a lot of protein - about 15 g.

I haven't made this one in a couple months but according to my food diary these should be the right measurements. It's a nice change from the standard fruit smoothie.

1/2 cup pumpkin puree
    1/3 cup vanilla yogurt
    1 banana
    1 tbsp peanut butter
    A little milk if it is too thick
    I add honey sometimes for a little extra sweetness and cinnamon is good too.
    When I made this one I would adjust the ingredients sometimes but it was usually just under 300 calories.

Good luck!
  • 716Laura37
    716Laura37 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the ideas! I am always up to trying new things. So it's nice to see what everyone else does and to give it a try. I really like the idea about having smoothie bags set up in the freezer already! I'm sure that will make my day easier with two little guys running around.
  • Three4MeNHim
    Options
    I LOVE my smoothie that I have for breakfast. It`s 1 cup of almond milk, 1 scoop vanilla whey iso burst, 0.5 cups of cottage cheese (and I don`t like that enough to eat on it`s own, but it`s awesome in a shake) and a banana. Yum! Can`t wait to drink it in the morning.
  • seamanny
    seamanny Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    bump
  • theshow4jsu
    theshow4jsu Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    My breakfast smoothie:
    1 cup of milk
    1/2 cup plain greek yogurt
    1 cup frozen berries
    1 scoop strawberry or vanilla protein powder
    1/2 tablespoon psyllium
    2 teaspoons natural peanut butter

Calories are high, but so is the protein and fiber and it keeps me full until lunch
  • Trilby16
    Trilby16 Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    My opinion is that smoothies are a quick and easy way to get a lot of calories into yourself. I think it's better to EAT (i.e. chew up) the foods which would go into the smoothie. More satisfaction for your calories. But again, it's just my opinion.
  • Mezzie1024
    Mezzie1024 Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    My smoothies generally have:
    Frozen strawberries
    Frozen blueberries
    Frozen cherries
    Frozen mango, raspberries, and/or blacberries
    Plain yogurt (full fat, usually Greek)
    Unsweetened soymilk (enough to get it the right consistency)

If it's after a workout I may add unflavored protein powder.
    If I have fresh spinach on hand, I'll throw some in.

A question for people who add sweeteners: Have you ever tried without any? I find the fruit alone is plenty sweet. Whenever I've had smoothies made by people who add sweetener or use flavored/sweetened yogurt or protein powders, it's tasted like dessert (not that there's anything wrong with that, but it's too sweet for me on a regular basis).

Trilby: a common breakfast of mine is a bowl of these same smoothie ingredients minus the soymilk and plus some granola. Sometimes, though --especially when it's hot -- a smoothie is the most satisfying thing in the world. It's also about the only way I'll take protein powder.
  • tresschanda
    Options
    A friend recently gave me a book called 'Green for Life' which is all about drinking a liter of smothies everyday and including green leafy vegetables in your smoothies.

I can't recommend it highly enough. It has been a fantastic, tasty way to add six cups of vegetables to my diet, keeps me full for hours and gives me heaps of energy.
  • xdoublerainbow
    xdoublerainbow Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    This is the one I usually have:

- One banana or pear
    - Strawberry yogurt
    - Trim / slim milk
    - Dash of feijoa juice
    - Cinnamon

..For when I'm feeling fancy! Haha otherwise it's this:

- Banana
    - Strawberry yogurt
    - Milk
    - Vanilla essence
    - Cinnamon
  • jennagoogles13
    Options
    I've tried all sorts of smoothies off this site and I loved them!:)

http://www.3fatchicks.com/diet-recipes/low-calorie/beverages/smoothies/
  • christylui
    christylui Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    My opinion is that smoothies are a quick and easy way to get a lot of calories into yourself. I think it's better to EAT (i.e. chew up) the foods which would go into the smoothie. More satisfaction for your calories. But again, it's just my opinion.

In general I agree, but no way would I eat a salad for breakfast. If I put the greens in a smoothie, I am!
  • Molly08
    Molly08 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Oh. I was just going to ask about this :o) I want to have a smoothie for my breakfast in the am!