Exercising with a bad back...

Options
Hello!
I need suggestions on exercises that I could do with a bad back that won't aggravate it too much. I used to do jazzercise, but I have found that this is really hard to do now. I swim several times a week, but it isn't enough to get the weight off. In a few months, I will be able to swim more, but not until June at the earliest. I currently have discs with problems in my neck and in my lumbar spine. Does anyone have suggestions for exercises that will not aggravate my back too much, but will burn enough calories to get my weight loss going?

Thanks!

Replies

• kpstacy
    kpstacy Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Have you tried doing the stationary bike???? NOT SPINNING.... there is no jarring of the lumbar that way.... as an ex-chiropractic assistant my best advice is to keep up the swimming, try a regular stationary bike, and just make sure you are keeping within a good calorie deficit (not to high, not to low).... other than that, patience my friend. I totally understand debilitating lumbar and neck problems.... also, you can use resistnace bands for some strength training.... this will help build muscle (which burn calories at rest) but it is gentle.... it is going to be important to build the muscle around the spine to give it support. I hope you are able to get well soon.
  • ChrisLindsay9
    ChrisLindsay9 Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    Do you incorporate weight training into your fitness program? If so, I might be able to help. I have some lower back issues, of which I can usually work around or work through via weight training.