it's starting to get to me.

Options
2»

Replies

• Brownsbacker4evr
    Brownsbacker4evr Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Patience is vital. It doesn't happen in a matter of weeks. For some people, even months or beyond a year. You keep doing what you are doing and it will show and pay off.
  • valcherrin
    valcherrin Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Sometimes changing up what you've been doing for a long time tricks your body and helps jump start it again.

Have you considered a body cleanse or fast?

I really enjoy the Isagenix Cleanse. It taste good and it is not a bowl cleanse it really gives you engergy and cleans your system of its toxins. I think it is a bit expensive but if you stick to the cleanse once or twice a month you may lose some of those stubborn pounds.

Its OK to go out and eat if you want. It doesn't mess you up that bad, and like I said, your body needs change. Maybe even change up your cardio workout.

Good luck.
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options
    Check out this group.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/10118-eat-train-progress

Knowledgable moderators who will take a look at your situation and give you a plan for success. You also mentioned you wanted to avoid extremes and this group advocates moderation for sure.

ETA: Not a plan for success in that they will do everything for you, but they will troubleshoot things with you and give you some solutions and a gameplan.
  • Willowana
    Willowana Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    I can't speak for you ladies, but 1200 calories or less messed me up big time. I dropped some water weight and then all progress stopped. The scale went up and down by a pound every so often, but for weeks it was just this plateau. I was doing all the right things and NO progress. So, based on some tips here on MFP, I bumped up to 1400 calories.

I was so afraid to gain, but then....progress! After a few more weeks, I realized although it was progress, it was super slow. .4 lbs this week, .2 the next. So I bumped to about 1600. Now, I'm losing about 2-3 lbs. per week depending on my activity levels and whether or not I eat back half my exercise cals.

I guess my point is, if you are struggling for a long time with what you are doing, then maybe shift gears? I see a lot of skinny girls prancing around here eating MORE calories than me....a 5'3" chick with over 100 lbs. to lose. I learned that in order to know what your body wants/needs, you gotta play with the numbers.

Sticking to the same routine and not seeing results is devastating to a person's motivation. I'd rather risk the possibility of gaining a little if it means I will find my boundaries. MFP put me at 1200 calories, and it just wasn't working. I had to find that middle ground where my body burned the most fat.
    Just what you have said motivates me..I started at 1200 and NOTHING...then tried 1300 and lost 3lbs..been stuck for a couple of weeks so now Im at 1500/1600 so I hope its not going to make me gain.

I highly doubt you will gain on 1500-1600 cals a day. I creep a LOT of diaries around here and that actually seems to be the norm. That's the reason I felt comfortable enough to take the plunge. It wasn't long after, I read about how to figure TDEE, BMR, and all that important stuff. Come to find out, 1600 calories gives me exactly a 500 calorie deficit most days, which is considered to be the most recommend and "healthiest" deficit.

I also figured out my maintainance calories, which are important. To maintain my current weight of 234 lbs., I would have to eat 2,349 calories a day. So, I figure anything less than that shouldn't make me gain crazy amounts of weight. Here's a calculator if anyone's curious about their maintenance calories:

http://www.caloriecontrol.org/healthy-weight-tool-kit/weight-maintenance-calculator-women

Even if I weighed 120 lbs.....my maintenance calories would be about 1700....so I'm still eating BELOW the calories of my ultimate goal weight being "lightly active".
  • RenCara
    RenCara Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    @MonicaT1972 Would you be willing to share how you changed your diet. For me, I have lost a few tenths of a pound only to gain it back. I always seem to have calories left over as through exercise burn so many. I try not to go over the 1200 I have set up as my daily goal and achieve it most of the time. My progress has been very slow as in many instances I lose nothing.

My trainer has me on a very strict diet, it's not for everyone but it gets me results that I can live with and I am prepared to do it for a lifetime. I eat clean, no processed foods (with the exception of my International Delight in my coffee in the morning) no sugar, no wheat, and no red meat. She has me consuming 135g of protein, 30 of fat and 75 of carbs. The calories are roughly in the 1200 range daily but it's the macros that she has me focus on. My carbs are from fruit and veggies and whole grains. I eat every 3 hours having 5 meals a day. I don't ever feel hungry this way. I still have monthly cravings like every other woman though, it doesn't cure that unfortunately.

Thank you for letting us know what you do. Yes, that's the eating plan I have been told is best.
  • ryry_
    Options
    @MonicaT1972 Would you be willing to share how you changed your diet. For me, I have lost a few tenths of a pound only to gain it back. I always seem to have calories left over as through exercise burn so many. I try not to go over the 1200 I have set up as my daily goal and achieve it most of the time. My progress has been very slow as in many instances I lose nothing.

My trainer has me on a very strict diet, it's not for everyone but it gets me results that I can live with and I am prepared to do it for a lifetime. I eat clean, no processed foods (with the exception of my International Delight in my coffee in the morning) no sugar, no wheat, and no red meat. She has me consuming 135g of protein, 30 of fat and 75 of carbs. The calories are roughly in the 1200 range daily but it's the macros that she has me focus on. My carbs are from fruit and veggies and whole grains. I eat every 3 hours having 5 meals a day. I don't ever feel hungry this way. I still have monthly cravings like every other woman though, it doesn't cure that unfortunately.

Thank you for letting us know what you do. Yes, that's the eating plan I have been told is best.

Sarcasm?
  • Iamworthinvestingin
    Iamworthinvestingin Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    It is normal to get discouraged after a couple of months- but you have lost 10 lbs! A lot may have to do with your age, amount of exercise, hormonal imbalance and pre-diabetes or a low functioning thyroid. Losing weight slowly means you will keep it off longer - but if you are feeling discouraged because you believe you should have lost more - change things up... try different exercise, focus more on the happy foods of fruits and veggies - and do not loose sight of your goals! Light weights 2 x aweek can also add a great impact to building muscle... more muscle burns more calories -
  • tleeiiiii
    tleeiiiii Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I'm feeling a lot better now, but i was feeling down because the progress is so slow, i've been trying to lose this weight for 3 years, not just 3 months, i joined mfp 3 months ago after 2 months of getting off the wagon. In general i do very well for 9 months of the year and kind off fall off the wagon the last few months. I've lost 10 pounds but i am exacly where i was 1 year ago.

Someone suggested i mix up my routine, i do, i only do the same dvd 4 times then switch. I bike because i love it so i won't be taking that out. My boyfriend suggested we start running (love his support) i want to but running is very hard for me and my legs are already is constant pain! I'm thinking of getting a rowing machine also. When i finish body revolution i will be starting rushfit also.

Thank you all so much for the support. I have gotten my thyroid checked because it has been a long time that i've been struggling to lose weight, but everything was fine.
  • tleeiiiii
    tleeiiiii Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I went to your roadmap information page and tried to calculate my tdee. It was 2225 - 20% is about 1750. That is scary, i know people must say that all the time. Would it do any benefit to eat that 3 days a week and the rest 1400-1500? To try and work up?
  • ryry_
    Options
    I went to your roadmap information page and tried to calculate my tdee. It was 2225 - 20% is about 1750. That is scary, i know people must say that all the time. Would it do any benefit to eat that 3 days a week and the rest 1400-1500? To try and work up?

I think gradually upping your calorie intake by 100 a week is a good idea.
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    IMO calories are a little wonky.
    I'd suggest setting MFP to a static number and just stick to it daily.
    So if tdee is 2k you'll eat 1600/day with or without exercise.
    PM me if you are interested and ill set it up for you.

Also, how many rest days are you taking per week while cutting calories?

This. Listen to him. He knows...
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options

I lost all my excess weight eating 2100 calories daily.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    IMO calories are a little wonky.
    I'd suggest setting MFP to a static number and just stick to it daily.
    So if tdee is 2k you'll eat 1600/day with or without exercise.
    PM me if you are interested and ill set it up for you.

Also, how many rest days are you taking per week while cutting calories?

This. Listen to him. He knows...

Props
  • 04ward
    04ward Posts: 196 Member
    Options

You HAVE to eat more. I started this and for 6 weeks I made sure I ate my 1200...Nothing. I raised to 1650 which is 20% of my TDEE and I've finally started losing. If you figure your BMR, you'll probably find it to be in the 1500's. That is what your body needs resting not doing anything! You need to eat at least over that number. Eat 6 meals and drink lots of water.
  • 04ward
    04ward Posts: 196 Member
    Options

I lost all my excess weight eating 2100 calories daily.

Congrats! I really like to hear this because we are programmed to think we have to eat less to lose. Fact is we have to eat more but of the right things in the right % and that means just following the plan.
  • Bownzi
    Bownzi Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Don't get discouraged... Just keep going...things will work out.. It has taken me a while to start to lose weight ...and I'm getting older though..Judt be diligent things will feel better..
  • katy_trail
    katy_trail Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    why are your legs in pain? Doms? health condition?
  • Msjacque46
    Options
    Thank you for sharing...I have been starting to eat pretty clean and guess it is time to take it further. Maybe the wheat is also something I need to get rid although I do not eat much of it, but then it may not take much. Your percentages for protein, carbs and fats are very different from the MFP they suggest for me so maybe I need to play with that a bit. Again, thank you so much for sharing and congrats on your success.