No exercise depresses me....

Options
My knees (or muscles around my knees?) have been really hurting since I started Level 2 of the 30-day-shred. Some of MFP friends suggested that I take a break until they were better, because I didn't want to risk injury. :grumble:

I didn't do that shred last night and I probably won't be able to do it today. :( I never thought I'd ever say this in my life, but I really, really just want to exercise. :brokenheart: Seriously. It's driving me crazy!! Lol, my body craves jumping jacks and lunges!

Anybody else feel this way when they can't exercise? And, have you got any tips on getting my knees to feel better faster? They hurt on.... Well, it's hard to describe so here's a picture.
:laugh:

kneeupperlegmuscles.jpg

Replies

• Becka77
    Becka77 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I can sympothize, I have lax joints which causes them to dislocate frequently, sometimes just from walking, which causes a lot of joint and muscle pain. Stretching is usually the only way to relieve a lot of the pain. You might try stretching while using a heating pad to warm up the muscles, or just do a light warm-up and then stretch. Yoga works really well too.

I used to hate excercising but it has becoming such a part of my routine that on the days I don't exercise I feel like something is missing from my day.

You might also have your feet checked or even see a chiropractor, one thing I have found that if my joints aren't in the correct position, which they often aren't due to the frequent dislocation, then your muscles are pulled the wrong way during excercise which causes a lot of pain too. My feet tend to pronate (I walk on the sides of my feet due to foot pain) and I wear these little gel inserts that lift the side of your heel up into the correct position, otherwise I get really bad shin splints.
  • AndriaLL
    AndriaLL Posts: 162
    Options
    I would try rolling your IT band. When that gets tight it can lead to your knee tracking improperly. It is a common problem and running stores, I think even Target in the sporting goods section, sell foam rollers. You roll the outsides of your legs up and down on the roller and it hurts so good...but feels alot better once loosened up.
  • aunienue
    aunienue Posts: 416
    Options
    I had planned to run at lunch today but didn't because it's raining. I have a big meeting this afternoon and it's one thing to arrive with a red face (I do shower) but another to look totally discheveled with matted hair and racoon eyes. Boo hoo. :grumble:
  • ktmunchie
    ktmunchie Posts: 35
    Options
    I totally feel you!!!! This happened to me not to long ago. I cried, overdramatic I know, but I was really upset. I had been doing awesome and I didn't want to fall behind. I listened to my trainer and I didn't do any jumping or squating for 2 weeks. I do P90X and couldn't do the plyo or the leg video for 2 weeks. I thought I was going to die but I didn't, I keep moving and they felt better really quickly! Now I am very careful when I squat, I make sure my knees never go past my toes and I stretch REALLY well and that helps a lot too.

Listen to your body, don't push it, and it will heal. I know it feels like the end of the world but it will be okay, I promise!!! Keep up the good work. :)
  • LRogers2
    LRogers2 Posts: 15
    Options
    I am the same way. I work two jobs and the nights I work my part-time job, I do not have any time to get in any exercise. I still walk on my breaks at my full-time job, but to my body it just isn't enough. I crave it like crazy and when I don't get to I seriously get depressed. Hang in there girl, you'll be back in no time, but everyone is right telling you to rest a day or so. Coming from a person that had ACL reconstruction surgery in December, I can tell you how important that is.
  • YogaRunner
    YogaRunner Posts: 652 Member
    Options
    It is hard to hold back when you are so motivated, but it is definitely the right thing to do. The worst is when you don't listen to your body and end up so injured it takes many weeks to recover. See if you can find low impact alternatives to the moves or if you can get to a pool to do exercise for a while. Swimming is very low impact and will give your knees time to recover while you work other parts of your body. Hang in there.
    Risa
  • Stasha83
    Stasha83 Posts: 39
    Options
    I know your pain! I tore a ligament in my knee last Wednesday and have not been able to exercise since and it is driving me mad! I normally do and hour and a half in the gym 6 nights per week and now I can barely even walk, its sooooo frustrating :sad:
  • Tobi1013
    Tobi1013 Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    I am not an expert by any means, but my best advice (as a shin splint sufferer trying to do C25K) is to stretch, stretch and stretch again both before and after your workout. I am not familiar with the Shred (yet!) but if it as hard on your knees as running can be, I feel your pain. I had to take four days off from C25K before getting back to it last night because of the pain I was having. Last night, however, I made sure that I took PLENTY of time to stretch using the stretches I found on coolrunning.com:

http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_1/126.shtml (sorry, I could not get this to be a link...just copy and paste into your browser)

I did these both before and after my run/walk and had virtually no pain.

Hope this helps and best of luck to you!!
  • lawkat
    lawkat Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    Are you wearing the right shoes? There are different shoes for different people. Most people walk into a store, buy a pair of sneakers and think that is it. If you pronate and are wearing shoes for people don't, that can make a huge difference. Look at the bottom of your sneakers. If you see, a wearing of one side of the heel over the other, it means you pronate. It is common in most people, but with heavier people, they tend to overpronate more. There are certain types of sneakers that are more motion control to prevent it.

I have found that the most pain I get in my knees is when my sneakers are worn down. Sneakers are like shocks to a car. If they wear down, you can feel every bump on the road.
  • Chelsinicole63
    Chelsinicole63 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    When i had aches like that i took ibprofen an hour before exercise and it helped.
  • studentRN
    studentRN Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    I would try rolling your IT band. When that gets tight it can lead to your knee tracking improperly. It is a common problem and running stores, I think even Target in the sporting goods section, sell foam rollers. You roll the outsides of your legs up and down on the roller and it hurts so good...but feels alot better once loosened up.

I agree. It sounds like ITBS (illio-tibial band syndrome). Just Google it and search for stretching exercises. It really helps!