My Fitness Dream: To become a RUNNER!

Options

Replies

• haanmom
    haanmom Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    The first time I tried C25K I failed after a few weeks. I had a hard time when the run/walk segments were switching so often because I kept looking at my watch or the treadmill timer and it made the time go SO SLOW and I hated it.

I ended up finding a free podcast with hip hop music that I liked that some random person made and she did verbal cues when it was time to run or walk. That is what I used when I started C25K the 2nd time and it made it so much easier and more fun for me.

The other thing I do that helps me, but is kind of scary sometimes, is I look ahead and register for the race I am training for way ahead of time. Like if you are going to start C25K now, try to find a 5K near you that is in 9-10 weeks and sign up now! It will give you extra motivation because you've made a commitment.
  • hjkcollins
    Options
    Kari you can move towards accomplishing that goal, after weighing 255 lbs all my adult life until taking charge of my health and fitness I never thought I would ever run a 5k. Although I don't like to run, I have accomplished 5k's every year and it wasn't until I kept pushing myself to do more. 70 lbs is doable but you must realize it takes time but as long as you believe you will achieve!
  • smartandtrim
    smartandtrim Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I'm a 28F and a runner- if I can do it, you can too! Freya Lingerie has some FANTASTIC sports bras designed especially for us larger busted ladies- you can get them on Amazon or Brastop in the US, I believe. If you want to be a runner, start out walking. Jog for what you can. Every day, you'll be able to job more and more.
  • dangerxbadger
    dangerxbadger Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    I just turned 26, and ran my first 5k last weekend. In January, when I decided to become a runner and started C25k, I couldn't run more than 30 seconds without wanting to puke. I finished that 5k I ran in 34:54. All you have to do is get your shoes on and go for it. You can do it!
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    Great advice here. Just want to emphasize that a lot of people think they can't run because the few times they've tried they go "all out" and crash and burn before they even get started. Take it SLOW. Do intervals of walk/run. Jog slowly to start. (Little more than a shuffle if that's what it takes.) Don't feel like you need to be a speedster. Speed is something you can work on later, but to start, focus on taking it easy and getting used to the motion of running without overwhelming yourself. :flowerforyou:
  • NYCNika
    NYCNika Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    When I started less than 2 month ago, I could not run 2 minutes without pain in my sides and being out of breath. Now I can do 40 min straight run. I got to 5k by just doing a little more every day, without any program. Takes willpower, but is definitely worth it. After just 2 months I feel I need to run. I feel great and fit.
  • dclem2012
    dclem2012 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I also recommend the C25K. I started mid Jan and could barely run the 1 minutes. Now am doing 20 minutes in a row of running. Not at the full 5 K run yet, but getting there (and I had 2 different complete weeks off during that time). --Now, I have to tell you I had tried the C25K early last summer and gave up after a few days. I started at a jogging pace of 5.4....read more on that below. Avoid my pitfall.

Some suggestions that I followed this time....and it has been working

1) Get good sports bra. Worth the investment! I got mine at Sports Authority. For full busted, which I am, you can find some that act like they have underwire and cups with support instead of flattening you and feeling smothered. You can also get hooks instead of trying to squeeze into the kind without! They are worth the extra money. BTW...wash them periodically with vinegar to get rid of sweaty smell.

2) Find a c25K chart and use it. I downloaded the version for 'treadmills". It tells you at which minute to change pace. Great for keeping track.

3) I read somewhere and followed this advice for about 6 weeks. Follow the plan! Be sure to have at least one day of rest between runs AND do not run more than 3 days a week until you can do about 10 minutes at a time without stopping.

4) ALWAYS warm up and cool down with a walk!

5) I invested in some good running shoes that I only use for running.

6) Finally, I was told conversation is key! Even jogging you should be able to carry on a stilted conversation! IF you run breathless you will give up from tiredness AND are more prone to both injury and muscle soreness! A killer to any beginner running plan. A running friend suggested I start my pace at 3.5 for walking (which is slow for me, as I can easliy do 4.0). She told me my warm ups/rests/cool downs need to be just that; any faster and they wouldn't be. AND my beginning jogging pace was 4.5, Which also seems slows when I can walk that pace. I was reminded that while they may seem the same speed the mechanics of walking and running are very different. Walking you always have one foot on ground. With running there is a point where both are off the ground, so it actually will take more energy. (Just this week - week 6, I started upping my running speed to 3.8/4.0 for walks and 4.8/5.0for jogs).

I am 44 years old and about 215 pounds...and I can honestly say I have never ran 20 minutes (that's about 1.5 -1.8 depending on my speed) in a row in my life! Even in high school when we had to run the that dreaded 4 laps around the football field (1 mile) I walked most of it! So, I never thought I could do this.

AND I have asthma.... and allergies.

I also know that when I do get some more weight off the running will be easier. So, that is motivation. By now, week 6, this is begging to become an enjoyable endeavor, instead of a dreaded "have to". I hesistate to use the word addiction. Just don't tell my MFP friends I said that.

The amazing thing is I have had no muscle soreness!

This is an achievable goa!. Start slow but regular.

YOU can be a RUNNER!
  • skyslady1
    skyslady1 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    This is my dream as well to run again after many years. I just looked over the C25k program and Im going to give it a go. I do have one question though, can you strength train on the your relax days? Can anyone let me know about that?
  • dclem2012
    dclem2012 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Actually, I have been doing strength training, squats, and elliptical on my non-running days. BUT I had been doing the elliptical for about 18 months, so was already doing about 1 hour before I started c25k. It uses very different muscles from running.
  • fatsnacker
    fatsnacker Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    it is something I too would like to do.

a good sports bra is key.
  • CLFrancois
    CLFrancois Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    Want it bad enough and you will do it.
    Get a good bra or three
    Have a pair of shoes that fit
    and, from my own personal business, socks are also important- if they slip it SUCKS!!!
  • SRH7
    SRH7 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    This is my dream as well to run again after many years. I just looked over the C25k program and Im going to give it a go. I do have one question though, can you strength train on the your relax days? Can anyone let me know about that?

Absolutely! But, for me, I prefer to get it all out of the way so I do a run as a warm up (30 mins on the C25k programme) then do weights straight after when I get home and I'm nicely warmed up.
  • klhessling
    klhessling Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Lace up your shoes and go! You'll love it!!!
  • SRH7
    Options
    Thanks ladies. Its seems so tough.. But deep down I now I can.. Im just hoping for some litlle helping details on how everyone else did it!

I started C25k last May and downloaded some podcasts on to my iPod (free ones on iPlayer include NHS and Chubby Jones - both really good as they tell you when to warm-up, walk and run, with music in the background).

I used some old gym shoes (bought proper running shoes after two weeks when I realised I actually was going to stick with it and enjoyed it!) and got a good sports bra (get them strapped down!). At first I just ran in my hiking gear (combat pants and T-shirt - anything you're comfortable in).

The podcasts are 30 mins long each, with running and walking. You will start off just running for 30 seconds at a time with walking in between until you eventually run 5k. The programme lasts for nine weeks but I would strongly advise you to go at your own pace. Only go up a week when you have mastered the one you are on. It's not a race and you will get there in your own time.

My top tips:

* Join our group for lots of friends and advice: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/30-couch-to-5k-running-program-c25k

* Go slooooooooooooooooow. You are not aiming to sprint like Usain Bolt (save that for when you have mastered running and want to do interval sprints, which you will be able to in a few months time!)

* Get your form right. You want to aim to lean forward slightly (use momentum to propel yourself forward) and keep your steps short with your feet under you rather than striding out in front (which is a big cause of shin splints). Also try to land on the middle of your foot rather than your heel - this is how our bodies are designed to work and reduces the impact of each step. Watch this great video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tx6x2cD6Y8Q

I am 39, had never run before, was overweight with osteoarthritis in my knees and asthma.

I'll never be the world's best runner and I still run/walk when I go out. But I really enjoy it, it has got my legs into the best shape they have ever been in and my lung capacity has improved massively and I've reduced my asthma medication. I'm seeing better results in 30 minutes three times a week than I ever saw spending hours at the gym.

Just remember to take your time and try to enjoy it!
  • Tinkerbell1010
    Tinkerbell1010 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I began with c25k and I HATED running before this now it is my stress relief , you can do it !!!
  • joybedford
    joybedford Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    You can do this I started running when my autistic son ran away from me I couldn't catch him and he was nearly hit by a car, I vowed I would get fit and lose weight at that very moment. At the time I weighed 180lbs and couldn't run for a minute without nearly collapsing but I started the very next day. Since then I have run a number of 5 and 10Ks and a half marathon my longest run to date is 18miles. I now love running and will be doing another half marathon in may and hope to do a marathon one day. I now weigh 143 lbs and have never been fitter. As well as running I now lift weights as well and will have a go at anything.
    Start slowly couch to 5k is excellent and don't give up. I recommend shock absorber run bras nothing moves in those and get fitted for some running shoes at a running shop. Good luck I know you can do it cause I did and I was the least sporty person you could imagine even my mum said she never imagined she would be waiting at the finish line of a race for me but she did just that in the snow but her smiley face and that of my kids and dad got me to the finish line. I wish you ever success fellow runner.
  • SRH7
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Some fantastic stories and advice in here - a flower for each and every one of you!
  • traej1973
    traej1973 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    You can do it!! I started couch to 5 K in February and can now run 30 minutes without stopping. I am so relaxed on the days I run. You've gotten a lot of advice and I'll add my 2 cents.

Follow the plan - take your rest days. I think that is so important to prevent injury and burn out.

Go slow - I had such a lovely image in my head of what I imagined myself to be as a runner. I was not that person. I went slow, I put one foot in front of the other and I did not look at the weeks in advance. I took it one step and one run at a time and it worked!
  • AMBlass
    AMBlass Posts: 161
    Options
    You just have to get out there and start. C25K is great, but for me, I just like to go at my own pace. I run until I can't anymore (usually when my heart is racing), then I walk until it slows down, and then I start over again. Sometimes I will run / jog for a song, then walk for a song. Or maybe run as much as I can for a song, then walk til the next one starts. Soon you'll be able to run for a couple songs, etc. I just don't personally like being told when to start and stop. I like to use my body's cues. If I'm in a groove, I want to keep going, and if I'm not ready to start up again, I don't want to feel like I'm failing. My pace is the best pace, IMO.
  • Dwoshea
    Dwoshea Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hi. I also want to be a runner mainly to lose weight. Last year I was chatting with a couple of girls at work. One of them was doing Race for Life. My other friend and I could think of no reason not to join in even though I hadn't run much before. We started doing a bit of training and completed the 5k in an average time - 48 minutes for me! I was really pleased. This year we asked the gym manager at work to start a beginners running club for us. There are about 7 of us regularly who run on a Monday lunchtime and it is nice running with others. Plus the gym manager does not put us under pressure to keep up either. The better runners can do a bit extra if they want to. Anyway, I also run on wednesdays and Fridays to keep the momentum up with rest days in between and this is working for me. It is not a huge commitment to run every day and this is what works. I love logging it on MFP! I still can't run more than 15 minutes without a walking break but the walking breaks are getting shorter and I recover quicker these days. Oh yes, I am starting to really look forward to my run and actually enjoy the accomplishment feeling at the end!!! I am a 34GG but have a rock solid sports bra and decent trainers! Good luck and just go for it. Join Race for Life so that you have something to train for and you will raise a bit for charity and remember, there is no reason not to do this!