Hunger causing me to binge!

Options
Hello,

The past two weeks my hunger has been insatiable and has lead to binges the past two fridays! I find that as I get closer to my goal I am more hungry then ever! It's like my body is revolting telling me that 1200 calories net is no longer cutting it! What gives?! :(

Replies

• Dwoshea
    Dwoshea Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hi there. I am very new to mfp but I know this is one thing that is going to happen to me and make me crack! I have been on weight watchers and slimming world before so I kind of know the score. Planning what you are going to eat is helping me at the moment. However, to get back to your point, I think that if you can not let yourself get too hungry in the first place you might avoid bingeing. I think I am going to try to build a quick and easy snack bank in which I will store ideas for quick eats before I get too hungry and ruin everything through a binge. Also, I guess the point about planning is that if you know what you are going to eat I. Advance, you could bring the meal forward a bit before you get to starvation level and binge. These are just my thoughts based upon your post but this is what I will be trying. Let me know what other tips you find out and good luck!
  • terijoestoes
    terijoestoes Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    We cant see your diary so we don't know what you are eating. You are probably not eating enough things with high enough fibre to keep you full. Things like coleslaw or oatmeal or broccoli work great.
  • CristinaL1983
    CristinaL1983 Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    Maybe save up some calories for Fridays. I know that tonight I had fast food, ice cream, a cookie, and a bottle of wine and my weekly average is still under my calorie goal for weight loss.

Some of us have a tendency to self sabotage or just plain old over indulge sometimes. Recognizing that AND planning for it can help.

Also, if you generally don't feel satisfied on 1200 calories and being as close to goal as you are might be a sign that it's time to start increasing your calories gradually until you hit goal/maintenance.
  • MarcPower
    MarcPower Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Protein, protein, protein! It works!
  • kae_blah
    kae_blah Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    When you are closer to your goal it helps to change calculation so you are planning to lose only 1 pound then 1/2 a pound a week.

It helps with the transition to maintenance where you will need to increase your calories again.
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    Yep. Probably 1200 just isn't cutting it.

Set your MFP goal to lose 1/2 lb per week... what does it give you as a goal then? Do you eat back your exercise calories?
  • Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    Options
    Fiber + water

keeps you full longer
  • iulia_maddie
    iulia_maddie Posts: 2,780 Member
    Options
    You are right! 1200 calories isn't cutting it. Up your calories, so you don't end up hungry.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    1200 calories isn't cutting it.
    So you get hungry
    And then you binge.

Solution: eat more calories. Try 1700.
  • boatsie77
    boatsie77 Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    If it's real hunger, make sure you are eating good, balanced portions of healthy proteins and fiber, supplemented with lots and lots of vegetables and water...if it's "hunger" for junk food, then it's not really hunger at all and you'll need to explore what emotional distress is causing you to look to 'food' to fill the void.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Like others have said: More calories. Protein. Fiber. Veggies.
  • volume77
    volume77 Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    i think u answerd your own ?
  • Oishii
    Oishii Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    Pre mfp I used to think stress made me binge, but logging made me realise it was hunger. My meals were too small so I compensated by eating cr@p.

The fibre and protein suggestions only make your tummy full, which only addresses one of the hunger hormones in your body. When I reached my goal weight my stomach would be uncomfortably full, but I was still really hungry. Some people, who have been very overweight or at a high deficit for a long time, lose this hunger response, so I often wonder if this is why so many on mfp claim not to be hungry when they're eating far less than their body needs.

Try slowly increasing your calories until the binges stop. You may be at goal by then.
  • JeneticTraining
    JeneticTraining Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    You should increase your calorie intake. Drink more water and have 3 meals and snack 1 or 2 times a day.
  • PeachPuff81
    Options
    Hello,

The past two weeks my hunger has been insatiable and has lead to binges the past two fridays! I find that as I get closer to my goal I am more hungry then ever! It's like my body is revolting telling me that 1200 calories net is no longer cutting it! What gives?! :(

If it makes you feel any better I have been having some serious binging issues myself lately. You're not the only one. I was thinking that I might not be eating enough as well, but I think I'm gonna try to hold out for another week and see if I can get myself to stop eating outside of my planned meals. I was almost successful with my diet today, but I caved after dinner! It wasn't a full-on binge, but I had some extra sugar that was not on the menu. Anyway, I'm here for you if you need support. Good luck with your eating. Be healthy!
  • PeachPuff81
    Options
    Hello,

If it makes you feel any better I have been having some serious binging issues myself lately. You're not the only one. I was thinking that I might not be eating enough as well, but I think I'm gonna try to hold out for another week and see if I can get myself to stop eating outside of my planned meals. I was almost successful with my diet today, but I caved after dinner! It wasn't a full-on binge, but I had some extra sugar that was not on the menu. Anyway, I'm here for you if you need support. Good luck with your eating. Be healthy!

P.S. Don't be afraid to say "NO" to the Binge Monster!!!