Getting too big - I have to lay off the heavy weights

Options
I'm not liking the way i'm looking. Getting too big!! and yes females can put on muscle ;)

Anyway just had a session with a pt, he recommends i take 2 - 3 weeks off from weights concentrate on cardio and then when i come back that I should do lower weights higher reps. I am really going to miss lifting heavy. I just get such a buz out of it and like to increase my strength. I dont even know what the point of doing a higher rep workout is if its not going to challenge me. Anyway i'll have to figure something out. All I know is I would actually like to lose a little muscle if possible. I dont want the bulky look that I have and that I am getting by lifting heavy. I want to lean out debulk.

I have been eating more than my TDEE as I have started maintenance. I think i'll have start cutting back a bit on my food and eat at tdee although atm i'm finding i'm wanting/needing more food. People are commenting that I am bigger, lol and when my new supervisor started work she made a comment that she thought I was a bodybuilder haha.

Any other women out there who are working at debulking? I'll have to start doing some research

Replies

• mhorn2142
    mhorn2142 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Try adding Pilates and yoga to stretch your muscles for a longer leaner look. I am not there yet, but a friend of mine was concerned about getting too bulky so she started yoga and pilates and says it is intense and has lengthen her muscles.
  • Kim55555
    Kim55555 Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    Try adding Pilates and yoga to stretch your muscles for a longer leaner look. I am not there yet, but a friend of mine was concerned about getting too bulky so she started yoga and pilates and says it is intense and has lengthen her muscles.

Yes good idea!! I have been reading about pilates. One concern i have though is that i am worried that if i lay off any kind of weight training my muscles will go soft. i told my pt today that i want to retain the hardnesss of my muscle and the defintion. He said not to worry that they wont go soft as i'll be working them adequatly whilst doing my sprints, cycling, sports training. Anyhow i'll experiment for the next month and see how i go.

lol i see a lot of skinny guys in the gym looking on enviously at me. They would kill to have my muscles and muscle gaining ability haha. They struggle and struggle to put on, whilst i can do it just like that. i must have a bit extra testosterone im thinking. Definately have the genetics for it.
  • runner2runner
    runner2runner Posts: 1,937 Member
    Options
    I say you should follow your personal trainer's advise if you're really serious about bulking down. If you want something challenging without the bulking up, you should try something like boot camp or circuit training. Circuit training especially is very challenging because it incoporates both cardio and light weight training and I promise you, after a session you'll really feel like you've worked. I know how difficult it is to switch from heavy lifting to light weight training. I also used to lift heavy weights and bulked up quite a bit as a result, but when I got into running two years ago, I had to switch to light weight traing to trim down. It was quite difficult but I eventually did it. I lost about 7kg of muscle and developed lean muscle tone instead bulking up. I also recommend you take up something like running or cycling (or both), which are both very challenging cardio exercises. Cycling especially does a good job in developing lean muscle, especially in the legs and no, contrary to popular belief, you won't get bulky thighs and calves from cycling. That's a total myth.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    You do know that TDEE is supposed to be your maintenance number, correct? Anything more then that, and I'm not surprised that you are putting on muscle.

If you kept lifting heavy, but ate less then TDEE(like 15 to 20 percent less) you'd stop gaining muscle, still retain what you have, and lose the fat that's on top of muscle.

Also, yoga/pilates, while great for you, does NOT lengthen muscles to make you look leaner. Your muscles are at a set length, and cannot be lengthened or shortened.
  • runner2runner
    runner2runner Posts: 1,937 Member
    Options
    I say you should follow your personal trainer's advise if you're really serious about bulking down. If you want something challenging without the bulking up, you should try something like boot camp or circuit training. Circuit training especially is very challenging because it incoporates both cardio and light weight training and I promise you, after a session you'll really feel like you've worked. I know how difficult it is to switch from heavy lifting to light weight training. I also used to lift heavy weights and bulked up quite a bit as a result, but when I got into running two years ago, I had to switch to light weight traing to trim down. It was quite difficult but I eventually did it. I lost about 7kg of muscle and developed lean muscle tone instead bulking up. I also recommend you take up something like running or cycling (or both), which are both very challenging cardio exercises. Cycling especially does a good job in developing lean muscle, especially in the legs and no, contrary to popular belief, you won't get bulky thighs and calves from cycling. That's a total myth.
  • Joehenny
    Joehenny Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    1. You're eating more than your TDEE so of course you'd gain mass

2. You can't change the shape of your muscles or insertions, if they are round you can't make them appear longer, that's genetics.
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    I would place a bet that most of your bulk is fat as well as muscle (that you've either maintained, or built a small amount of) I hope that doesn't sound rude, but from personal experience, and hearing others stories on here, fat gives the appearance of looking slightly "bulky" when you start lifting but once that goes you'll just look more toned.

You will not have built that much muscle lifting heavy. If you are building any then you're likely eating above maintenance. Do you want to lose fat%? If so, go in a deficit. If not, stay in maintenance. This whole "light weight, low reps" to tone, not build is BS. It really is.

Personal experience:

Started lifting heavy, wasn't watching what I was eating (likely a surplus) - Gained weight, looked a little "bulky" (fat and a little muscle)

Started watching what I ate, eating in a small deficit to lose fat, continued lifting heavy - Lost fat, got smaller, got stronger. Didn't gain any muscle. Didn't look bulky.

Did a bulking cycle - ate in a surplus, continued lifting heavy, got bigger/bulkier, but not as much as in the first instance. I had more muscle but I was smaller, lower bf%, fit in clothes better (than in the first instance) Muscle was built, but that was the point, I did it purposefully, with a surplus. Anything less than that and I didn't.
  • Joehenny
    Joehenny Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    THIS.

Yea even a male with great genetics can only expect to buil like .25 lbs of pure muscle mass in a week. Females, much less.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    You may just need to lower your body fat percentage, i.e. do a cut, while continuing to train in the same way. A small deficit like TDEE-10% would be good

it's extremely hard to put on much muscle, and bulking (whether you are male or female) results in putting on fat as well as muscle. After you bulk, you cut, to try and lose the fat while keeping the muscle.

I would not advise trying to reduce the amount of muscle you have, without first doing a cut to lose body fat. Muscle is healthy, letting your muscles atrophy is not.

The only exception to this advice is if your body fat is already low enough to see your abs, in which case the problem won't be too much fat.
  • billthekill
    Options
    Lifting weight does not make a women look bulky. It's probably eating over your TDEE that is making you look bulky.

You are getting some ridiculous advice.
    Your trainer shouldn't tell you to stop heavy weights, He should tell you to reduce your calories. Cardio in optional.
    LOL @ Pilates lengthening the muscles.
  • CHRISTCENTERED
    CHRISTCENTERED Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I would place a bet that most of your bulk is fat as well as muscle (that you've either maintained, or built a small amount of) I hope that doesn't sound rude, but from personal experience, and hearing others stories on here, fat gives the appearance of looking slightly "bulky" when you start lifting but once that goes you'll just look more toned.

You will not have built that much muscle lifting heavy. If you are building any then you're likely eating above maintenance. Do you want to lose fat%? If so, go in a deficit. If not, stay in maintenance. This whole "light weight, low reps" to tone, not build is BS. It really is.

Personal experience:

Started lifting heavy, wasn't watching what I was eating (likely a surplus) - Gained weight, looked a little "bulky" (fat and a little muscle)

Started watching what I ate, eating in a small deficit to lose fat, continued lifting heavy - Lost fat, got smaller, got stronger. Didn't gain any muscle. Didn't look bulky.

Did a bulking cycle - ate in a surplus, continued lifting heavy, got bigger/bulkier, but not as much as in the first instance. I had more muscle but I was smaller, lower bf%, fit in clothes better (than in the first instance) Muscle was built, but that was the point, I did it purposefully, with a surplus. Anything less than that and I didn't.
  • angelique_redhead
    angelique_redhead Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    I would personally take the body builder comment as a compliment but that's me. I bet you look awesome! Go you!
  • osualex
    osualex Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    If you're eating MORE than TDEE, like you stated in your OP, then you're getting bulky because you are....well, bulking! If you want to stay the same/smaller, you need to eat AT TDEE or cut. Eating more food is what's making you big, don't blame the innocent little weights!
  • CHRISTCENTERED
    CHRISTCENTERED Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Well, I wish someone would tell me how to get this FAT from the top of my stomach muscles! :happy:
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    Well, I wish someone would tell me how to get this FAT from the top of my stomach muscles! :happy:

Do a search for the "in place of a road map" thread.... that explains it all really carefully and gives you step by step instructions.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options

Pilates and yoga cannot make your muscles longer. Muscles are fixed to the bone at each end, there is no way to lengthen them. That terminology is just marketing.

OP if you love heavy lifting why not keep it up and stop eating over maintenance? The eating over your TDEE is what is making you seem bigger, not the lifting.
  • SRH7
    SRH7 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options

Pilates and yoga cannot make your muscles longer. Muscles are fixed to the bone at each end, there is no way to lengthen them. That terminology is just marketing.

OP if you love heavy lifting why not keep it up and stop eating over maintenance? The eating over your TDEE is what is making you seem bigger, not the lifting.

Agreed. Even without lifting, if you carry on eating over TDEE you will put weight on.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    I don't think anyone has ever said women can't put on muscle. Generally what they say is women can't put on as muscle while eating at a deficit, which you are not. Also it's harder for women to out muscle on than men, but they certainly can.

The advice given to people looking to put on muscle is to eat slightly above TDEE and lift heavy - which is what you are doing. With the added muscle comes some fat as well, that is why people do bulk and cut cycles.

If it were me, I would simply eat at or just below TDEE/maintenance and continue to lift heavy.
  • doubleduofa
    doubleduofa Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Have you tried a body pump class? Lots of reps, lower weight, and very challenging. Maybe try something like that? I also would try eating TDEE for awhile, or at least loer your cals by 1-200. I think it can't hurt to switch up your routine - even for six weeks or so. I hope you find what works for you!
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    unless pilates looks like this

LEZgIjx.jpg

there isn't going to be any 'lengthening' of muscles. this is anatomy 101, people.

can the OP provide pictures of getting too "muscular" from this heavy lifting? sounds like she's eating too much, so gaining too much fat i would believe. gaining too much muscle......can we see?