Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

One thing I need to know

So there's one thing that I want to know.

Say I want to have a net calorie consumption of 1500 calories daily.
Now, will there be a difference (in weight loss) if I consume 1500 net calories with hardly any exercising (walking to the fridge etc ) or if I consume, say, 1800 calories but burn 300 by going for a run.

Basically, does it just depend on my net calorie intake, or will I burn fat faster if i did a bit more exercise. (with both outcomes having a net calorie intake of 1500)

I hope this makes sense, and thanks in advance :)

Replies

• mhorn2142
    mhorn2142 Posts: 319 Member
    The exercise part helps with body composition. Exercise is always nice as it means you can eat more and strengthen muscles not just the visible ones but heart, liver . kidneys etc.
  • Chloe_2013
    Chloe_2013 Posts: 2 Member
    You should lose more weight if you eat the extra calories and burn them off with exercise because exercise results in a slightly higher calorie burn (increased metabolism) for a period of time after exercise.
  • symonspatrick
    symonspatrick Posts: 213 Member
    In theory it would be the same but exercise has many benefits other than just weight loss. I find that I may lose weight at a slower rate when I exercise but it is only temporary water weight gain from my body holding extra water in the muscles. Also exercise helps to preserve existing muscles and possibly build a small amount of new muscle. Besides it is always nice to see a new lean body after weight loss.
  • ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member

Now, will there be a difference (in weight loss) if I consume 1500 net calories with hardly any exercising (walking to the fridge etc ) or if I consume, say, 1800 calories but burn 300 by going for a run.

Basically, does it just depend on my net calorie intake, or will I burn fat faster if i did a bit more exercise. (with both outcomes having a net calorie intake of 1500)

One thing I need to know - you established that your TDEE is 2895, so why are you eating 1500 calories?

You are a young man who plays rugby, football, walks a lot, bikes etc you need more than 1500 calories a day.
  • katy_trail
    katy_trail Posts: 1,992 Member
    he's just giving an example with the numbers. it doesn't mean he's eating that amount of cals.
    scratch that
    this won't end well
  • Thank you for asking that question. It leads me to this question I eat 1200 calories a day, burn roughly 500-600 doing exercise but still eat only 1200. I feel like eating those calories counteracts the exercise, it is very hard for me to lose weight. Took me almost 2 months to lose 7 pounds. I was not cheating and tracking daily.
  • So there's one thing that I want to know.

One thing I need to know - you established that your TDEE is 2895, so why are you eating 1500 calories?

You are a young man who plays rugby, football, walks a lot, bikes etc you need more than 1500 calories a day.

It was an example. However, MFP says i should have a calorie intake of 1380? I don't even know. Ive gone over that today anyhow
  • ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member

It was an example. However, MFP says i should have a calorie intake of 1380? I don't even know. Ive gone over that today anyhow

MFP says 1380 PLUS exercise calories, not just 1380.

By the time you've done your walks to/from school, your daytime sports, and your cycling, that's a lot of calories to add.

You may be better sticking to a set daily calories intake based on TDEE minus a deficit, so you don't have to worry about working out the exercise calories.