weight gain during TOM

Options
I know this might sound like a stupid question but why do we gain weight week before TOM ( time of month ) ? is it just hormones or our body getting ready?

Replies

• fit4lifeUcan2
    fit4lifeUcan2 Posts: 1,458 Member
    Options
    I know this might sound like a stupid question but why do we gain weight week before TOM ( time of month ) ? is it just hormones or our body getting ready?

Your uterus swells before you have your TOM. Remember that your uterus is a muscle. It retains water and other fluids and then releases most of that during That One Miserable week. I avoid salt as much as possible and don't gain during or before TOM. In fact, I just lost 3 pounds this past week alone and I have my TOM. I used to gain at least 3 lbs every month and then a couple of days later it would be gone. Everyone is different. Some women don't gain at all, some gain 1 to 5 pounds. I drink lots of water and stay away from salt which seems to work for me. It doesn't help with cramping and I do still feel a little bloated but its not nearly as bad as it used to be. I also have fibroids so you would think it would cause massive bloat etc. But once I cut out the salt I haven't had any problems.
  • fly_butterfly
    fly_butterfly Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I have gained 3-5 lbs during that TOM. However, after it's over, I also find I lose those 3-5 lbs + some. It's frustrating... and if you find yourself gaining too... I recommend staying off the scale until its over. :smile: