Calorie counting or Eating "Clean" to lose weight?!

Options
Helloo everyone. I've had this question on my mind for a while now, and I decided to ask the mfp community. In your opinion, which is better to lose weight (also, which would get me better, faster results?!)

-Calorie counting : Creating a deficit, etc..
-Eating clean (80% clean, 20% indulgence)
and OBVIOUSLY working out ;)

Thanks, it means a lot:)

Replies

• Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    To lose weight, you NEED to have a calorie deficit. You can eat all twinkies and still lose weight if you are in a deficit (actually been proven). Specific foods, macros, etc. are for health and body recomposition, not weight loss.
  • kalieah
    kalieah Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    To lose weight, you NEED to have a calorie deficit. You can eat all twinkies and still lose weight if you are in a deficit (actually been proven). Specific foods, macros, etc. are for health and body recomposition, not weight loss.

okay, thanks! Vey helpful:)
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    They are not mutually exclusive. You need to be in a caloric deficit to lose weight.
  • Ari112233
    Ari112233 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Doing both
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Clean or dirty, in a surplus you'll gain and in a deficit you'll lose.
  • majope
    majope Posts: 1,325 Member
    Options
    Also keep in mind that for weight loss, "better" and "faster" are often mutually exclusive goals. I tried to take the quick path far too often in previous years and in my experience if the weight comes off quickly, it's because I've made radical changes that I can't sustain--so the weight comes back.

What works better for me is eating the way I like to eat, with a smaller deficit that I can comfortably sustain: 500 calories a day when I was heavier, 250 now that I'm closer to ultimate goal. When I go to maintenance, the only difference will be maybe another serving of something per day, whether it's a slice of whole-grain toast with peanut butter or a Pop-Tart. That's easy. That's sustainable.
  • dawnemjh
    dawnemjh Posts: 1,465 Member
    Options
    As others have mentioned its the deficit that matters, but keeping that in mind, whichever way you can stick to your diet also.

If I eat clean, I tend to do better sticking to my plan. If I eat "junk" even if it fits it to my daily deficit, I tend to crave more junk, and then I end up going over my initial plan and dont end up with a deficit. ALso for ME, I tend to do better with lower carbs. I have found through the years that the weight comes off quicker if I keep them in check. You have to find out what works best for you!
  • ltl_leah
    ltl_leah Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Doing both

Agreed. To lose weight, you must be at a calorie deficit, but try to stick to nutritionally rich foods as well. I gave up eating 100 calorie packs 2 1/2 years ago because I knew I'm better off eating an apple instead. Calories in vs calories out is key to weight loss.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options

Yup, this.

I don't bother with trying to eat clean. I try to cook most things from scratch and I do my best to get my veggies in, but I eat plenty that would probably be considered processed, although the definition is kind of a moving target. Here's a good explanation:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/822501-halp-my-sandwich-isn-t-clean
  • ellygolightly
    Options
    Isn't that kind of like saying "is it better to do the math or to simply guess?" o.O
  • Mistyblu08
    Mistyblu08 Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    Doing both

Agreed- if you are losing eating crap- you are still doing your body injustice- you still will have plaque in your arteries, chance of heart disease, kidney/liver/intestinal problems- eat clean with a deficit and you'll have healthier sustainable results- not saying you cant cheat once in a while :) but it seems anymore most naughty things can be made healthy too so its all good :)
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,068 Member
    Options
    I think eating "clean" as in no refined foods, whole fruit, vegies, whole grains etc - is very healthy and almost certainly going to lead to weight loss, will also almost coincidentally create a claorie deficit just by nature of the foods.

However i am not doing it that way as there are too many refined processed foods I like eating and changing to a clean diet is too great a change for me to sustain within my real life situation.

So for me, it is calorie counting and making small sustainable changes to my existing lifestyle.

I guess what I am saying is you have to honestly assess any proposed dietary changes and if they are not sustainbale for you to do long term, it is not the best approach for you.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Regardless how/what you eat, if you eat at a caloric surplus you will gain. If you want to lose weight, you need to eat at a deficit.
  • kalieah
    Options
    Doing both

Agreed- if you are losing eating crap- you are still doing your body injustice- you still will have plaque in your arteries, chance of heart disease, kidney/liver/intestinal problems- eat clean with a deficit and you'll have healthier sustainable results- not saying you cant cheat once in a while :) but it seems anymore most naughty things can be made healthy too so its all good :)

i agree, totally. thanks for the help!
  • kalieah
    Options
    thanks everyone, its much appreciated!:)