Crossfit and hiit makes me want to puke!

Options
Just wondering if anyone gets the same symptoms I get and if they have any advice to what it is from or how to prevent it. I find when ever I do a high intensity workout (either crossfit or hiit) I get either a strong taste of blood/metal in my mouth or my face gets extremely red and hot (burning almost) followed by me feeling as though I could puke. (Only when doing exercises where i am face down like in mountain climbers do I get the burning feeling) when I get the really hot/pukey feeling it lasts for a good half hour after....
This isn't anything new for me, just kind if annoyed with it and wondering if anyone has the same problems.

Replies

• Schnuddelbuddel
    Schnuddelbuddel Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    I only ever get that if I'm dehydrated and/or haven't eaten properly before the workout (not right before but maybe an hour before!)

Felt like that at a recent run - but had forgotten to have breakfast and that was the problem :) So check to see if you eat enough to do the exercise maybe.
  • pjgreen0830
    pjgreen0830 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I have a blood pressure problem and I get that way anytime I have my head down for a little bit, even one burpee can do it to me.
  • BonaFideUK
    BonaFideUK Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Dont eat before excising, at least 1 hour. Perhaps also take some antacids.
  • Rosegardenia
    Rosegardenia Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I get sick if I haven't eaten enough, or if I am really tired. Make sure you are getting enough food and sleep and water and see if it helps.
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    I'd check with your doctor. It doesn't sound right. Maybe don't work out so hard till you do.
  • tracimorris
    Options
    Pay special attention to your form on any exercise that isn't upright, like climbers or burpees. When we get tired, we tend to push back on our hands so it looks more like downward dog. Even when you are in those "face down" positions, your head should always be above your heart. Make sure your hands are directly under your shoulders and your shoulders are pulled away from your ears. I have been doing boot camp for several years, and it does get better as you get stronger!! Although, I will admit that there are definitely days when I push extra hard and feel a little queasy for some time! :smile:
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    You might need to slow it down a bit. I'd also ask your doctor to check your heart and your blood pressure if you haven't done so lately. But like other people said, perhaps it's food-related, or dehydration. What does your CrossFit coach say you should do?
  • Health_Gal
    Health_Gal Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    My advice is to slow down when you start feeling that way and not push yourself so hard.

I do a boot camp class, and if I start to feel like I am getting too hot or get any symptoms of nausea, I slow down. The boot camp class I take doesn't have a high pressure "do it or die trying" atmosphere like many Crossfit classes do, so there's no problem if I need to back off a bit and take a break. In fact, the instructors encourage participants to take breaks whenever they need to.
  • char2009
    char2009 Posts: 68
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the advice! I do all of my workouts at home (Internet, DVD) so don't have a real instructor or coach. I have also seen a doctor about it once, but the doctor that I saw was not my regular doctor, and not one that I would ever go back to! ("Most athletes try to get to that point" was what she had told me)
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    i get that way all the time......when i'm out of shape and haven't performed very strenuous workouts in a while. once i get back in shape i'm fine
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    I have had that before. I have had to do a physical fitness test that is designed to push you to your maximum exertion. Pretty much everytime I did it I had that taste and sometimes nauseous. Feeling nauseous can be caused by a lot of thigs, like eating too soon or not enough, however it is also common when exerting yourself. I always inderstood the metallic/blood taste was from extreme exertion.

ETA - as for the red face - that's normal for me even during the easiest of workouts.