bloating... any advice?

Options
larsensue
larsensue Posts: 461 Member
So I have been having a less than flattering problem lately. FLATULENCE AND BLOATING and it has nothing to do with being a woman. does anyone have any advice on what it could be? I know some foods will do that but cannot seem to figure out what it is... I go to bed at night with a terribly bloated tummy and wake up in the morning and it is gone then as soon as I eat anything it is back again. any tips or ideas would be helpful.
Thanks in advance!

Replies

• LindseyAlyssa
    Options
    Bloating is usually too much sodium and/or not enough water.
    For me it also occurs when I try to eat packaged food or pizza-type foods.
    As long as I stick with straightforward ingredients and stay hydrated, I don't get bloated.
  • RhineDHP
    RhineDHP Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    Sodium is a major cause of bloating. So just gotta make sure you watch your sodium intakes with your food. I've had that problem many times, its so annoying.
  • allikat93
    allikat93 Posts: 236
    Options
    I have noticed that my body is doing the same thing. I think for me this past week that it is from excessively salty/fatty foods. I'm gonna add more fruits and veggies to my diet and see if that helps. I also tend to eat alot of sugar.. Which is horrible and I am trying really hard to cut it out. I also think that drinking more water would help. It might flush out whatever toxins (like salt) are causing you to bloat. Also.. When you said that you go to bed bloated and wake up not.. Maybe your portions are too big? I dont know because I havent looked at your profile but if that is the case.. Try smaller porrtions more frequently throughout the day. Hope this helps.
  • larsensue
    Options
    I will keep an eye on the sodium, Thanks ladies!!
  • mudmonkeyonwheels
    mudmonkeyonwheels Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    Maybe you have IBS?

I think the best thing to do is try an elimination diet.

You can try cutting out certain things to see if that helps. For eg. cut out gluten for 2 weeks and see if that helps, if it doesn't re introduce it and try cutting out dairy. It is possible something is setting it off.
  • holothuroidea
    holothuroidea Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    FODMAPS

Google them.
  • larsensue
    Options
    Maybe you have IBS?

I think the best thing to do is try an elimination diet.

You can try cutting out certain things to see if that helps. For eg. cut out gluten for 2 weeks and see if that helps, if it doesn't re introduce it and try cutting out dairy. It is possible something is setting it off.

interesting theory..... just looked it up and it looks like it may be the problem. Thanks so much for the insight
  • Thepinkdaisy
    Options
    Maybe it is a candida issue (too much). Or it could be a sudden irritation to foods such as wheat.

I did a candida diet for two weeks and that was two years ago. It solved my bloat and gas problems and I've not had it sense.
  • iheartpolkadots
    Options
    I know if i eat too much fiber i get bloated and gassy, maybe thats your problem too?
  • kbeech06
    kbeech06 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    I have the very same problem. For me, it seems to be my oatmeal. I love my oatmeal but honestly I could power a small village with the amount of gas I get from it!
  • MeeshyBW
    MeeshyBW Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I have had IBS for 15 years.

The single best thing I ever done was to give up wheat and gluten. It has been 10 months and I have never felt better. I do not suffer from those complaints you mention at all now.

Check out the book Wheat Belly. :)

Also you need to be drinking a gallon of water a day. You can become bloated from not drinking enough water.
  • SwimSoccerTaxi
    SwimSoccerTaxi Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Track all your food and also track the symptoms and when they occur....I'm quite sure you will find the trigger food easily. Mine was gluten and my intolerance was sudden and intense. If I eat any gluten I will be bloated and in pain within 15-30 minutes. If you plan to eliminate one food item do it for at least 4-6 weeks as many food particles remain in your digestive tract for a minimum of 4 weeks. I wish you luck in a quick recovery from these symptoms.....they are not pleasant!!!
  • jodigirl03
    jodigirl03 Posts: 111
    Options
    Getting to the root of the problem is def the best source but in the meantime your local health food store should have some herbal teas that state right on the front of the box that it works for that. I know one that I drink has Chamomile, fennel seed, peppermint and licorice root, ... some other herbs as well. Can't remember them all.

I just had my food allergies tested and it was super easy, took 3 mins and was covered under my co-pay at my reg MD's office. Wah-la, found out the culprit and went on about my life. Don't just guess, go find out. You may be depriving yourself of nutrients by cutting out certain food groups that you THINK are causing the problem.
  • larsensue
    Options
    everyone has been so helpful! Thank you SOOOOOOO much. I will be looking into each and every suggestion!