no motivation....help!

Options
I have been through all the diets and i am only 20 years old and very overweight, it is taking over my life i cant controll the emotional binge eating and there is no support i am depressed how can i find motivation to eat healthy and workout when i have to force myself just to get out of bed in the morning?

Replies

• RobynMWilson
    RobynMWilson Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    Have you considered NOT dieting? Sending a FR now :)
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    Good decision joining this site. If you feel your depression is that bad (can't get out of bed) I would encourage you to talk to your doctor first thing. Then, when you have that settled, remember that no one or thing can motivate you. YOU have to want this more than anything and be willing to get up every day with the intent to keep working. I have been doing this for almost a year and I have more weight to lose. Start finding friends on MFP that have common interests and are doing this in a healthy way.

There is no easy way. It's every day. Make changes that you can live with in your diet. Find something that you LIKE to do and do it. Then get up tomorrow and do it again. Get your head in the right place and understand this is going to take a while. It's not a thing you will do until. It's the thing that you will do forever.

Best of luck. It can be done. Check out the success stories on the forum and read them every day. :flowerforyou:
  • GetFit3321
    Options
    yeah maybe counseling or anti depressants would help, i hope mfp will help beacuse i dont have many friends and just even having someone to talk to is nice thanks for your reply, how much have you lost sofar?
  • GNeiswender
    GNeiswender Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Slow and steady gets it done. You did not gain weight overnight and you won't lose it over night . . . weight lose is a journey and some experiences along the way will be exciting and encouraging and others will be a bumpy road. The most important thing is that you hang on and keep moving forward.

I suggest logging your food (you joined the site so you made the first step) and then find something you enjoy (like walking) and then do it on most days . . . mix it up . . . but do it - even if it is just for 15 minutes . . . little steps will push you toward big results.

Your profile says you want to run - I never ran before and did a run/walk program - you can find them online . . . it helped me work toward running 30 minutes straight . . . I have since ran a few 5k runs, a 5 mile run, and a half marathon (which I didn't care for the training), currently I am training for a 10k in April . . . running is fun and you can do it if you make YOU a priority.

I also tried weight watchers and other things . . . MFP is the best thing so far . . . my ticker doesn't show the big picture but I am down 44 lbs since I started my journey . . . it was not always fun . . . but I am now only 11 lbs from my goal. If I can do it YOU can do it!!

YOU are special and YOU can do it!!
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    The best piece of advice I've heard on here went something like this:

It's not motivation, but determination, that will get you to your goal.

Bottom line, unless there are some significant health issues, you have to want it bad enough to do what it takes.
  • pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options
    I have to say sometimes is just time to pull a "Nike" and "Just Do It". Even if you have to break it down to just one day at a time.

Some days on maintenance are like that for me. I just get up and keep moving. I may not like how it feels today, but I know I will be thankful I stuck to my sleep, activity and nutrition plan tomorrow...and the next day.
  • sailawaykate
    Options
    Depression is not something you should just try to push through on your own. Definitely go see a counselor or doctor! I have been there, and though I hated my medicine (made me feel gross and sleepy all the time, but better mentally) it definitely made a difference in the speed of recovery.

And remember, it's about progress, not perfection! If you can change little things (you've already started by joining MFP!) one at a time, you'll be hitting some of your short-term goals in no time.
  • Tiredofbeingfat13
    Tiredofbeingfat13 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    add me! we can walk this road together:smile:
  • dacadoo
    dacadoo Posts: 32
    Options
    Talk to you doc, best resource for the depression. If they put you on meds the first week Is tough but stick to them and the fog will lift. After that you have some great advice from others! Slow and steady and just do it. You made a great choice joining here I have found everyone to be very positive and great at helping with motivation. Welcome to our journey!!!!