Eating below 1200 calories

Options
Hi :smile: Generally I try to stay a couple of hundred calories below my 1200 daily allotment. I never eat back my exercise calories. I find that, and I have always been this way, in order to lose weight I have to exercise and really watch my food intake. I am only about 6 pounds away from my initial goal, and I have lost about 10 pounds in a month (giving up sweets and eating out for Lent had a big effect). I am scared that when my intake increases when I hit maintenance that I will gain. Has this happened to anyone? And is it ok, as long as I am not hungry, that I have this daily calorie deficit? Thank you for any thoughts!!! :flowerforyou:

Replies

• babydiego87
    babydiego87 Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    No it isn't. 1200 NET should be your bare minimum.
  • fit4lifeUcan2
    fit4lifeUcan2 Posts: 1,458 Member
    Options
    I was at 1200 for a long time and lost 60 pounds that way. Then it stalled and for 3 months nothing. No matter how much exercising I did or how clean I ate I wasn't losing anything. A week ago I bumped it up to 1350 and now those last 10 pounds are almost gone. Lost another 2 pounds today. Increase your calories a little at a time and see if that helps. Your body got used to the 1200 calories and is holding onto everything now.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    So, if you are eating well below 1200 net by not eating back you exercise calories what do you think this does to your hormones, nutrition and metabolism long term? You've been dieting since 13, according to your profile, and want to stop....
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    When you chronically under-eat you will no longer feel hungry. That doesn't mean you're getting enough calories and it definitely doesn't mean you're getting enough nutrition. If you want healthy, sustainable weight loss that won't result in more yo-yo dieting, your best bet is to eat enough calories while you're losing.

So close to goal you should be ramping your calories up toward maintenance, although if you've been dieting since 13 you may find that maintenance is lower than what MFP estimates. Try NETTING 1200 to start. Give it at least a month because initially you will gain some water weight. Just remember that it isn't fat.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,067 Member
    Options
    10lb a month is 2.5 lb per week, I think that is too much too fast and you are not eating in a healthy way at only around 1000 calories per day.
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    So, if you are eating well below 1200 net by not eating back you exercise calories what do you think this does to your hormones, nutrition and metabolism long term? You've been dieting since 13, according to your profile, and want to stop....

Yeah....chronic very low calorie dieting like that is beyond terrible for your body, you know? Take care of yourself. :flowerforyou:
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,067 Member
    Options
    You've been dieting since 13, according to your profile, and want to stop....

How can you tell this?

I cant see anything on OP's profile?

OP have you changed your profile to private since posting this thread??
  • Just_Scott
    Just_Scott Posts: 1,766 Member
    Options
    Your pre-historic brain lives on 1200 calories--when you exercises you actually are telling your body to store the calories--NOT BURN THEM--eat more and the weight loss will increase because your body and brain need both. Long term behavorial change takes time, and remember, your brain thinks store for survival--back in the day when food wasn't as plentiful as today. 1200 calories is the minimum if you do not exercise--scary when people post they are exercising and trying to maintain 1200 calories and not count those calories burned as part of the equation.
  • witchy_wife
    witchy_wife Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    Anyone who knows about nutrition generally believes that 1200 is too low (when done for a long period of time). Many diets that low are done under supervision of a Doctor for a good reason. Unless you want to do this forever, I would suggest you start upping your calories slowly.

If you really want to take care of your body then give it the fuel it needs to be at it's best x
  • sarski77
    sarski77 Posts: 79
    Options
    And is it ok, as long as I am not hungry, that I have this daily calorie deficit? Thank you for any thoughts!!! :flowerforyou:

Errr, no, it's not. The odd day below 1200 NET is fine every now and then but overall you should be definitely eating more!!
    Not judging here but I'm not even sure where you find the energy to function and exercise eating so little.
    You can achieve better results, not go hungry and be healthier eating far more than that!
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    I am scared that when my intake increases when I hit maintenance that I will gain.

No - when you hit maintenance you will maintain!
    And is it ok, as long as I am not hungry, that I have this daily calorie deficit? Thank you for any thoughts!!! :flowerforyou:

Feeling hungry is an unreliable guide to eating and nutrition.

No it's not at all sensible to have such a large deficit, completely unnecessary in fact. A small deficit plus time is all you need.
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options

Yep, she did. I'll be damned.
  • rebekahrice1234
    Options
    Hopefully you wont go back to old eating habits and gain your weight back....If you keep these numbers in mind...80/20 it might help.. 80% of the time eat, healthfully. 20% of the time you can endulge.
  • Sweet_Gurl_Next_Door
    Sweet_Gurl_Next_Door Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    I share your same fears but I upped my calories to my correct amount and am doing quite well. I haven't seen any weight gain.

try scoobysworkshop.com
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options

Yep, she did. I'll be damned.

I guess op is just looking for "support" that she is doing it "right" with under-eating. She knows the answer or she wouldn't be asking the question.
  • MaiLinna
    MaiLinna Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    Until I started throwing natural peanut butter into my food diary, I've noticed that the past few days I've been under eating. Now, instead of trying to stay under 1600, I've been trying to reach 1200 without eating a giant bag of chips.

The peanut butter worked today. ^_^
  • Saucytee
    Saucytee Posts: 31
    Options
    So is it better to eat more than the 1200 calories when you are exercising too? I have been trying to keep it at 1200, and the weight loss is at a 5 week plateau.
  • Saucytee
    Saucytee Posts: 31
    Options
    I guess that is what is happening to me. I lost 20 pounds fairly easily and now I am exercising regularly. I still am eating the 1200 calories or close to it and nothing has happened in about 5 weeks. Suggestions?
  • jmparis65
    jmparis65 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    If you're really stuck on that 1200 calorie number, which BTW, is not good for many, then you should have a 1200 calorie NET

Which means after your exercise, your net intake for the day should be a minimum 1200

That means if you burn 300 calories exercising, you should be eating 1500 to maintain the 1200 net

I too, lived on 1200, lost 60 pounds and came to a screeching halt, I know eat about 1900/day, exercise off 600+ and net between 1300-1400 a day.

I have started losing again after a quick couple of pound increase
  • pamwhite712
    pamwhite712 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I guess that is what is happening to me. I lost 20 pounds fairly easily and now I am exercising regularly. I still am eating the 1200 calories or close to it and nothing has happened in about 5 weeks. Suggestions?

Like others have said in this thread, bump up your NET caloric intake a little- maybe to 1300-1400 or say. Give it time to work. I know eating more seems so wrong when you're trying to lose weight. But your body gets used to it and hangs on to every calorie you put in your mouth.

OP- if you really want to be healthy and at a healthy weight, you really should follow the advice of the people here. To me it sounds like you're actually afraid to eat. Maybe you should see a counselor and explore your relationship with food. Search "reset metabolism" on these forums or ask about it.

The people here aren't being mean. They are concerned for your health, and they have good reason.