Please help

Options
I'm 5'8 and weigh 137 pounds. I have about 19% body fat. Everyone tells me I'm skinny, but when I look at myself all I see is fat fat fat. Has anyone else been through this and have words of advice/encouragement?

Replies

• Goldie2u2
    Goldie2u2 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    See a therapist..LOL! (JK had to..)

No seriously--you can be "skinny" fat..if your low in weight but really out of shape..I'd focus on getting FIT...start toning up the flab and you'll see a lot of changes..be warned..you may gain a pound or two in muscle but you'll look totally better!
  • hjensen2263
    hjensen2263 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I'm not skinny fat, I'm actually pretty muscular. I work out about 2 hours a day 6 or 7 days a week.
  • jessbena
    jessbena Posts: 9
    Options
    I struggle with the same thing. It sucks.
  • sylv1979
    sylv1979 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    How can you describe yourself as 'fat fat fat' then 'pretty muscular' shortly afterwards. Bit strange really?!?!
  • jaireed
    jaireed Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I went through this in my teens and early twenties. My advice is to see someone about it or talk to a friend, preferably a friend who isn’t currently in the same situation, because that can be a downward spiral. It sucks to feel this way. Since you're obviously not fat, it may be something else in your life that you don't feel you have control over so you control what you can, your weight. It never hurts to examine your life, what makes you feel this way? What makes you happy? I am not licensed to give advice, but I hope you do find a way to accept yourself as is and be happy. I know people probably tell you this, but you are so beautiful right now. We just get older and who knows what will happen to our bodies in the future. Nothing in life is more precious than loving yourself regardless of your weight. No one can do this for you. Good luck!
  • cordianet
    cordianet Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    Please talk to a professional therapist/counselor about this. 19% body fat is on the low side of normal. It sounds like you might be dealing with Body Dysmorphic Disorder.