Ladies- swim suit advice please!

Options
I'm at goal and thinking about rewarding myself with a new swim suit.

I am tall at almost 5'8".
I have a very petite upper body ( including the "girls" :grumble: ), small shoulders etc.
I have wider hips and some lovely (not) genetic cellulite on my thighs.
The skin on my upper legs is a wee bit looser than when I was in my 20s.:wink:
My legs and torso are looooooong.

I'm 46 and I'm caught between wanting to "dress my age" and having something pretty (think sexy) for my husband.

I don't want to look like an old frump (people tell me I don't look my age) but also not like a desperate old lady trying to look like a teenager.:noway:

I'm very self conscious about my thighs but want to show off my success too.

Any recommendations?
Where do you shop for swim suits?
I don't want to pay big $$$$$, but I don't want something cheap looking either.

Help!

Replies

• jjwoods
    jjwoods Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    J Crew has some great bathing suits that are skirt bottoms and you can always get a tankini top. I've just has my 3rd child and I will be wearing a skirt bathing suit this summer. No one needs to see my stretch marks and cellulite. Good luck and congrats on making your goal!!!
  • eileen0515
    eileen0515 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    I think board shorts with either a bikini or tankini top, looks great on us, long legged, long torso women. Board shorts are flattering, and they come in different inseams. I feel sporty and confiden,t the thigh jiggle is hidden. O'neal is one brand for board shorts, Columbia is another. Dries fast!

I like these sites:

HerRoom
    Bare Necessities
  • rosy003
    rosy003 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I usually like to wear board shorts (the girly kind) over my swimsuit unless I'm laying out or swimming. But walking to or from the pool/beach the shorts are on. The last suit I bought I LOVED- Tommy Bahama, shirred top, regular bottom. Looked like this but is a tankini, not a one-piece. The top has a thin strap that can attach to be a halter too. http://www.6pm.com/tommy-bahama-pearl-solids-shirred-front-bandeau-one-piece-w-tummy-control-black?zfcTest=mat:1
    I am not tall, but I am pretty small on top and this is really flattering.
  • kimleroy
    kimleroy Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I think a skirt bottom is a great idea for sure! When choosing colors/patterns, go with something loud or bright on top and something solid or more subdued on bottom; this will bring attention away from your legs/hips. Congrats on making it to this point!
  • Mustang_Susie
    Mustang_Susie Posts: 7,045 Member
    Options
    I usually like to wear board shorts (the girly kind) over my swimsuit unless I'm laying out or swimming. But walking to or from the pool/beach the shorts are on. The last suit I bought I LOVED- Tommy Bahama, shirred top, regular bottom. Looked like this but is a tankini, not a one-piece. The top has a thin strap that can attach to be a halter too. http://www.6pm.com/tommy-bahama-pearl-solids-shirred-front-bandeau-one-piece-w-tummy-control-black?zfcTest=mat:1
    I am not tall, but I am pretty small on top and this is really flattering.

Cute suits! I bookmarked the site. Thanks :smile:
  • thequiltmama
    Options
    First let me say... congrats on meeting (or close to your goal).
    As for suits.... something I have learned over the years, try, try, try them on. All suits look different on every body type. Maybe make a fun day of it with a friend and enjoy. Cause we all know, shopping is fun when you are at a happy weight. :)
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    If you would post a picture of yourself, we could have a better Idea of what to suggest for you. :)
  • Mustang_Susie
    Options
    If you would post a picture of yourself, we could have a better Idea of what to suggest for you. :)

Good idea.
    Hang on...
  • dancingdeer
    dancingdeer Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I like the suits at Athleta. The bottoms are fully lined, and the suits are very well made. Check out their sale section, too. Oh - and the suits are true to size.

BTW - I'm your age (47) and always wear two-piece.
  • BrandiBoo84
    BrandiBoo84 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Hello! Sounds like we have similar body types (including radical cellulite and small chest). Last summer I bought these high wasted bottoms and they serious cover all my stuff I don't want to be seen. They also aren't high in the leg area which helps disguise the cellulite. They are high wasted so for me its great because I can still cover up my belly but show some ribs (where I dont have fat) and pair it with a sassy bikini top! I got the striped ones, thinking about getting the all black this summer! http://www.urbanoutfitters.com/urban/catalog/productdetail.jsp?id=26680397&parentid=W_APP_SWIMWEAR&color=018
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    1ConcreteGirl Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    Something like this maybe? Seems age appropriate and tailored to draw attention away from your "problem areas"

http://avalonswimwear.com/product/booty-halter-bikini-p262/

I also like this one:
    http://avalonswimwear.com/product/white-gauze-banded-a299/
  • Mustang_Susie
    Options

nosj06.jpg
  • Mustang_Susie
    Options
    Something like this maybe? Seems age appropriate and tailored to draw attention away from your "problem areas"

http://avalonswimwear.com/product/booty-halter-bikini-p262/

I also like this one:
    http://avalonswimwear.com/product/white-gauze-banded-a299/

Will it make my chest look like that too :wink:
  • Mustang_Susie
    Options
    Hello! Sounds like we have similar body types (including radical cellulite and small chest). Last summer I bought these high wasted bottoms and they serious cover all my stuff I don't want to be seen. They also aren't high in the leg area which helps disguise the cellulite. They are high wasted so for me its great because I can still cover up my belly but show some ribs (where I dont have fat) and pair it with a sassy bikini top! I got the striped ones, thinking about getting the all black this summer! http://www.urbanoutfitters.com/urban/catalog/productdetail.jsp?id=26680397&parentid=W_APP_SWIMWEAR&color=018

Interesting! I've never seen anything like that before.
  • Healthydiner65
    Healthydiner65 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    I just ordered one from QVC. It is called a skortini and it will hide some of the thigh jiggle. It has adjustable straps which I love and a cute flirty skirt! Their bathing suits last for years and are worth the price!
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    I really like this website http://www.surfdome.com/Womens_Bikinis-334/#lo=6&hi=123&pnum=1&psize=200&sort=bestseller. I've never bought a swimsuit but have bought some dresses. I'm in the UK But it has an option for the US. I like the kind of surfer brands like Quicksilver and O'Neill.
  • LeanerBeef
    LeanerBeef Posts: 1,432 Member
    Options
    No pics??? Fooled again..... :wink:
  • HappyBayou
    HappyBayou Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Holy Moses, congratulations on that FABULOUS figure! You look fantastic.

I agree that a suit that draws attention to that long slender waist and legs is going to look incredible on you. Board shorts don't sound sexy, but in truth they can be, especially for us gals in our 40s who prefer to be sexy AND dignified. I'd avoid florals/prints and go for solid colors. When board shorts are low on the hip then they draw attention at the waist but minimize the thigh. But, if you don't plan to spend a whole lot of time swimming and are just enjoying the sunshine and beauty of the water, then GET A SARONG, and heaven is on your side. I can easily picture you in one with that shape of yours, and you would be deadly. I'd go calf length and tied low but otherwise open and flowing.

For the top, I think halter styles would look very pretty on you, or something shaped like what you've got on in that picture. I suspect you're wrong about "the girls," but nevertheless, a little extra "flotation device" built in to the suit top can shape things exactly as you want, heh heh. For safety's sake, of course. ;)
  • HappyBayou
    HappyBayou Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    And P.S. Bill Blass swimsuits will always do you right.
  • Mustang_Susie
    Options
    Holy Moses, congratulations on that FABULOUS figure! You look fantastic.

I agree that a suit that draws attention to that long slender waist and legs is going to look incredible on you. Board shorts don't sound sexy, but in truth they can be, especially for us gals in our 40s who prefer to be sexy AND dignified. I'd avoid florals/prints and go for solid colors. When board shorts are low on the hip then they draw attention at the waist but minimize the thigh. But, if you don't plan to spend a whole lot of time swimming and are just enjoying the sunshine and beauty of the water, then GET A SARONG, and heaven is on your side. I can easily picture you in one with that shape of yours, and you would be deadly. I'd go calf length and tied low but otherwise open and flowing.

For the top, I think halter styles would look very pretty on you, or something shaped like what you've got on in that picture. I suspect you're wrong about "the girls," but nevertheless, a little extra "flotation device" built in to the suit top can shape things exactly as you want, heh heh. For safety's sake, of course. ;)

:flowerforyou:
    Will you be my friend?
    LOL. :laugh:
    Thanks for the great ideas!