Strengh training for runners

Options
Hi

I am currently completing a C25K running plan (working towards a half marathon in September). I am headed in to my 3rd week which I am pleased with :) I currrently do the following training:

Mon: Rest
Tues: 30minute run (about a mile, slowly building up)
Wed: Rest
Thurs: 30minute run
Friday:Rest
Saturday: Park fit class (cardio, a little core work)
Sunday: 30 minute run

As you can see there isn't any Strengh in there. I did in Januray and February go to the gym and do bits of strengh but as the weather is getting nicer I want to work outside as much as I can. Does anyone have any advise for strength training not centred at the gym to much? (I want to look like Jillian michaels.. :( )

Replies

• AmandaW01
    AmandaW01 Posts: 138
    Options
    I'm doing the Hal Higdon 10K novice training plan so its slightly different to yours but it basically goes:

Monday: Stretch and Strengthen (so some time spent doing stretches - I do yoga - and some strength work
    Tues: Run - 4k
    Wed: Cross train 30 mins (I swim but you can cycle, swim, whatever)
    Thurs - Run 3k and then strength train
    Fri: Rest
    Sat - 40 min cross train (building to 60 min over the 8 weeks)
    Sun: Long run - starts at 5k and builds up to 10k over 8 weeks

I really like it - I've done plans where it is just running and always managed to injure myself in some way or other - this makes more sense to me and I don't get bored with running. I don't do it on the days it says, my long run was today, tomorrow is stretch and so on.

For strength work I use New Rules of Lifting for Women and do the workouts twice a week. Its not as good as doing it 3 times but I'm training for a race in May so need to focus more on building my distance - I'll work to heavier lifting in the summer. I go to the gym, but I also have weights at home and work with them. You will NOT bulk up by strength training with barbells and dumbells - it won't happen, not unless you take some testosterone and eat like a monster - so don't worry about that. You also won't looks like Jillian Michaels unless you have her parents and genetic makeup :wink: but she has the kind of body you get if you strength train and lift heavy - she didn't get that body waving 3k weights around :smile:
  • LJSmith1989
    LJSmith1989 Posts: 650
    Options
    Thanks for your reply, I might look at the Hal Higdon training plans. A few people have mentioned them to me now. Yeah I think thats the point with strength, it helps prevent injuries among other things. Theres a few post floating around about lifting, I might look into that to.. hmm!
  • Flixie00
    Flixie00 Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    I lift heavy and I run.

This time last year I had some issues with pain in my knees, but weighted squats and lunges have made my legs stronger and therefore improved my running and I have no knee pain. I lift 4 times a week, and I would love to have a bit more visible muscle, but despite some people telling me I would get bulky lifting, I have yet to see any evidence of that.

I will also be running my 1st half marathon in September.

I would recommend either following a plan like New Rules of Lifting for Women or get a PT, I went with the latter and have not regretted it.
  • CoachDreesTraining
    CoachDreesTraining Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Strengthen your posterior chain. This is the first link I clicked on from Google. It has some good non-gym exercises.

http://strongerrunner.blogspot.com/2012/01/posterior-chain-part-i.html
  • mmddwechanged
    mmddwechanged Posts: 1,687 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • jlohcook
    jlohcook Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I'm currently using Nike Training Club program to build strength - they have beginner, intermediate, and advanced level, 30-45 mins and a routine that works with weights. I do this all at home. Purchase some dumbbells and a mat, you are ready to go.

So far, I'm seeing good progress, especially the flabby arms, and waist.

I usually do it before my run during the week.
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    I lift heavy and run. I'm doing strong-lifts 5x5 modified to 3x5.
    Training for a 1/2 marathon and spartan sprint.

I lift 3 times a week. I'm having difficulty with squats and distance runs. I did c25k about 3 years ago. I'd love any advice on that.

What I want to do, I have young kids so it never goes as planned.

M - strong lifts A (30 min)
    T - short run 3-6k
    W - Strong lift B (30 min)
    Th - short run 4-8k
    F - strong lifts A (30 min)
    S - rest
    Sun - Long run 6-11k
  • LJSmith1989
    Options
    Thanks for the replys,

I'm not scared of getting bit or anything like that, as its physically impossible and because I have been overweight, being bigger due to muscles will be very welcome!

I don't think I can afford a personal trainer but I am going to buy the new rules for lifting.

The main thing is not wanting to just do cardio, i feel quite weak if that makes sense? I want to be as strong as I can be.
  • AmandaW01
    AmandaW01 Posts: 138
    Options
    Thanks for the replys,

I'm not scared of getting bit or anything like that, as its physically impossible and because I have been overweight, being bigger due to muscles will be very welcome!

I don't think I can afford a personal trainer but I am going to buy the new rules for lifting.

The main thing is not wanting to just do cardio, i feel quite weak if that makes sense? I want to be as strong as I can be.

I completely understand what you're saying, its why I'm so pleased with this new program (new to me) I got fed up with just doing cardio and never feeling any stronger really, just able to run for longer before collapsing :-) But I ALWAYS get to about 8k and then I've damaged my knee/pulled a quad badly/had a lot of pain in my ankle/pulled a ham etc etc - its made me think I can't run, but I think now that its because I'm running but not training properly if that makes sense?
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    I don't lift heavy during marathon training, just body weight stuff.

2-3 days a week, depending on the mileage I'm putting in, a lot of planks, pushups, lunges, plyo, and squats. During my off season I will add weight to all the workouts.
  • LJSmith1989
    Options
    Thanks for the replys,

I completely understand what you're saying, its why I'm so pleased with this new program (new to me) I got fed up with just doing cardio and never feeling any stronger really, just able to run for longer before collapsing :-) But I ALWAYS get to about 8k and then I've damaged my knee/pulled a quad badly/had a lot of pain in my ankle/pulled a ham etc etc - its made me think I can't run, but I think now that its because I'm running but not training properly if that makes sense?

Yea that makes sense, its definatly a good plan you have. Ive read about the book that you suggested to which looks really good :)
  • gnalani
    gnalani Posts: 126
    Options

2-3 days a week, depending on the mileage I'm putting in, a lot of planks, pushups, lunges, plyo, and squats. During my off season I will add weight to all the workouts.

This is pretty much exactly what my advice to you was going to be. There is a ton of stuff you can do outside that will give you a great strength workout without being cooped up in a gym. I did a quick google search for "strength training using body weight" and found this: http://sportsmedicine.about.com/od/tipsandtricks/a/basictraining.htm

Good luck with your half marathon!
  • LJSmith1989
    Options

This is pretty much exactly what my advice to you was going to be. There is a ton of stuff you can do outside that will give you a great strength workout without being cooped up in a gym. I did a quick google search for "strength training using body weight" and found this: http://sportsmedicine.about.com/od/tipsandtricks/a/basictraining.htm

Good luck with your half marathon!

Ahh cool, thanks :)
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    I have been using training plans fro Runkeeper - by the time I got to 10 miles, I realized I needed to strength train. Everything hurt, my arms literally felt like they belogned to someone else but were stapled onto my body.

Been strength training for a little over a month and seeing huge improvements